“A must for coffe lovers in HK”

Cafe Cova, Hong Kong
Ranked #61 of 397 Coffee & Tea in Hong Kong
Neighborhood: Central
Neighborhood: Central
Reviewed August 25, 2012

With the exception of Fuel, Cova is easily the best coffee in town. HK has an oversupply of Starbucks and pacific coffee chain stores, and it would be easy to be forgiven for thinking that this is a coffee drinkers only choice - but no. Thank the gods above, a fine Milan coffee house found its way all the way out here to honkers !

I may be biased as a regular, but the coffee is always consistent and authentic.

Reviewed March 8, 2012

All the same trimmings and wonderful coffee to boot. Be prepared for glitzy prices but much cheaper and easier than a flight to Milan. We've been to the original and it is wonderful if you can get there...

Reviewed December 3, 2011

We are not huge fans of the food at Cova but this might be our best option for a good coffee in Hong Kong. Unfortunately for Coffee lovers and connoisseurs, HK is quite lacking in opportunities to sit down in a quite, relaxed place to enjoy a nice quality cup of coffee.

We occasionally stop at one of the Cova restaurants and cafes which are located around the city for a Americano (HK$24) and/or Latte (HK$34) which are competitively priced with the Starbucks and other chains and of consistently much higher quality. Also, most Cova locations have nice, quite tables or place to sit and enjoy your drink, this being something not all to easy to find in HK.

Overall, in our opinion, Cova offers the best coffee experience in Hong Kong so if this is something you have the need for, its worth a stop during your trip to HK.

1  Thank BradJill
Reviewed November 9, 2010

I like to think that I am a fairly mellow individual and reasonably easy to please. I prefer to live by the “If you can’t say anything good…” maxim. But sometimes the negatives outweigh the positives, as in this particular, and seemingly popular venue.

The Place: Cova Centro, Alexandra House, a branch of the exclusive Cova chain from Milan, and found in Hong Kong’s higher end shopping centres.

The Scene: I found myself in Central at 1pm, in pain after a grueling physiotherapy session, and hungry. I ambled along the walkway from The Landmark to Prince’s Building, and spotted Cova. Thinking of our own little branch in Festival Walk, I decided to treat myself to lunch.

The first unpleasant surprise was the look of disdain on the unsmiling concierge’s face as she told me to wait. I waited. I was finally led to a table, in silence and with minimal eye contact. Did I really look so out of place here? Maybe I should not have worn my cute, pink moo-cow tea shirt and jeans. The other clientele were smartly attired business types and well coiffed ladies - oh well.

My waiter came - a young man with a broad smile and a helpful demeanor; things were looking up - but not for long. I scanned the menu for the usual salad and ciabatta combo that I enjoy so much in Festival Walk’s Cova and found only two set meals, the standard, at $235 and the lobster at $300 up. I went for the standard.

The Food: I started with garden greens, baby tomatoes, pine nuts, feta cheese and vinaigrette; tasty enough but the dressing appeared to have separated and was too oily. I was offered bread, and incurred silent wrath and a disdainful glare when I asked the waitress for olive oil and balsamic, in an Italian restaurant - shame on me!

The menu offered asparagus risotto but that had already sold out so I ordered the crab-meat risotto for my main dish. The dish was light and creamy the way it should be but very bland. I could just about taste the crab but the whole thing felt watered down. Added to that, I found three small pieces of shell that could easily have caused an injury. At least the crab was fresh and not out of a tin, as I was beginning to suspect.

I finished with coffee (included in the set); quite disappointing for a company well-known for its excellent coffee. My drink was lukewarm and came with cold milk. Also (and I know I’m being picky here) I didn’t get a little biscuit. The little branch at Festival walk always gives you a biscuit and I rather look forward to this tiny treat.

The Ambience: Space, or rather the lack of it, was the main problem. My table was so close to the two lawyers on my left that I could hear every word they said, whether I wanted to or not. I now have the makings of a real pot-boiler of a novel or a great screen-play, with back-stabbing bosses, non-performing staff, and our hero (one of the two gents to my left) to rescue the firm and make sure all is right with the world!

The cost: I paid $262 and left a tip of $20, making sure it went to the only waiter with a smile on his face.

The verdict: Maybe I caught them on an off day; I certainly hope so, because the food was average, bordering on poor. The service, with one exception, was cold and unfriendly and the ambience unappealing. Situated in one of the “Great Centres of Central”, Cova Centro is likely to benefit from a good deal of passing trade, but all good businesses need repeat custom to prosper. I am unlikely to return. In future, I will stick to Cova Centro’s unassuming little sister in Festival Walk, with its friendly service, good food and warm ambience.

Reviewed September 13, 2010

Dined - or tried to - at the Pacific Place locaton . It was a most disappointing experience. Waited 10 minutes before a waiter even took the order, then it was 25 minutes and the order of a mere salad had still not arrived. Cancelled my order, yet despite the terrible service or rather COMPLETE LACK OF IT, the staff had the temerity to charge a service charge for the ice tea! Needless to say, thisrestaurant leaves much to be desired. Absolutely would NOT recommend.