“It gets the job done” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ashoka Guest House
Ranked #72 of 243 Hong Kong B&B and Inns
“It gets the job done”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Ashoka Guest house is a place that is by no means a luxury accommodation. You may not even get to stay there. I booked into Ashoka but on arrival was taken to a different guest house on another floor. It appears that a number of guest houses are owned by the same people scattered throughout Chungking Mansions, I believe you are given whatever is free at the time.

The rooms are best described as functional. You would only stay in them to sleep as at least my room was practically the size of the bed, with a few square feet of floor space for your shoes and bag.

Toilet and shower are combined into one cubicle, remember to leave your toilet paper outside when showering...its a very small space everything gets wet.

The bed is comfortable enough even if its not quite full size, and the ladies at Ashoka and Delta guest house (where I ended up) are very lovely and hospitable.

As a place to dump your luggage and crash after a day exploring Hong Kong, this is a decent option. If for no other reason, stay just for the Chungking Mansions experience. Its quite something.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank TGPorter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Moscow, Russia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

I booked a Deluxe Private Double Ensuite room at Ashoka Hotel, Hong Kong via Hostelbookers. When we arrived to the property (Ashoka guesthouse), the receptionist said that they didn't have our reservation and could not accommodate us because the guesthouse was full. While we were trying to reach Hostelbookers on the phone, a guy from Delta Hostel (affiliated hostel) arrived and said they could accommodate us in a double room. As we found out later, the room didn't have a government license, it was dirty, filthy, stinky, not at all a 'deluxe' room we had booked, and not even intended to be used as a guesthouse. Moreover, the guy from Delta hostel offered us the following choice: either pay by night and then the price would be significantly higher then the one indicated in the Hostelbookers voucher; or pay the total amount for 9 nights. We had to choose the second option, and then it turned out that we had to pay the total amount (i.e. remaining balance PLUS the deposit we have already paid to Hostelbookers). All in all, it was a terrible experience, and I would never recommend the property. Moreover, when we asked Hostelbookers to sort out the problem, Hostelbookers contacted Ashoka guesthouse, and the latter claimed they had never seen us! That was funny, provided we had their receipt.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank dos-caras

Travelers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We checked in to the Ashoka Hostel and everything was all ready. They put us on the 16th floor in the Delta hotel and that was ok. A bellman carried my bag up the stairs for me.

The Ashoka Hostel / Delta looks nice - recently redone and clean. The room had three beds and was small - however we knew this before I booked it so no surprise. Room was clean for the most part. A shared bathroom w shower - small but served our needs and the water flow was ok and hot.

Complaints are as follows:

The bed sheets were dirty and had BED BUGS. I scratched all night and took a very hot shower in the morning to make sure I didn't carry any to my next destination. The blanket also smelled and the air conditioner didn't make hot air - only cold.

The location was noisy. Nathan Road has much noise all night. Have to wait for the elevator as only 3-5 people can fit in it at any given time.

The Chungking Mansion - well unless you have ever been in it words can't describe it. Like a ghetto prison / Lower East Side of New York City. Lots of shady people all over. Sell you ANYTHING you want...

My recommendation is stay here if you have no choice or little money. ( And I mean Chungking Mansion, not Ashoka Hostel.)

The staff are friendly - the Indian guy with a turban and the Philippina girl who helped us.

A1 location for getting around Hong Kong - but never leave your wife/girlfriend or kids along there.

Room Tip: Bring bedbug spray
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MonteBurns
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Super sketchy building- but it's known to be so. Very tiny rooms, only two very small bathrooms- no way you could shower in there. Bedrooms were clean though- what can you expect for such a low rate, in HK?

Wouldn't stay again, it did the job. I didn't feel very safe as a solo female traveler.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Jessie R
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

It was my first time in HK and I was looking for cheap accommodations. When I booked here, everyone I know who's heard of the place said it was the worst place on earth and I should book elsewhere. I stuck with it. It turned out to be pretty good. Downstairs is a bit sketchy with people offering you all kinds of weird things/services. But once you're in the lift headed to hotel, everything is ok. The rooms are tiny, but they're extremely clean, and that's what mattered to me. It's not like I was hanging out in there. I was in HK to visit, not stay in my room. The staff was also helpful.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Michael Dino C
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

Affordable, clean, staff so friendly and helpful and great location.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

We were a little skeptical while entering the building and the guest house. Inside is perfect for a budget hotel. Just book it if you are price conscious and need a superb location. Dont look at anyone in the eye/stare at people while entering the building - it appears lot of thugs walk around the building. Just mind your own business and don't talk to anyone. Just walk away if they solicit anything. Should give more than 5 points for location of the building - I would give 6 points for it. Our room had the view of Nathan road - 6 points for that as well.......

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple