“Decent budget stay in HK”
Review of Ashoka Guest House

Ashoka Guest House
Ranked #82 of 264 Hong Kong B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 2, 2011

HK is expensive. Ashoka is a good option to save some money. It is a simple small hostel in an unfriendly building (especially for women who travel alone). It is located in the 13th floor of a pretty disgusting building, with only one elevator servicing all the odd-numbered floors (means that you wait long time, and that it is always crowded-to-overweight). The location of the building, though, is great - right on Tsim Sha Tsui station.
The rooms are OK, relatively clean and comfortable. Ensuit bathroom is crowded and very small. Shower is above the toilet seat and everthing gets wet. Not comfort at all.
The staff is very nice and helpful, and this made the whole stay much better.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Yotam H

Reviewed October 19, 2011

I recently stayed at Ashoka Guest House with my wife and 2 children.While it is a typical small HK Hotel ie small, it had everything that we needed. The room was clean and the staff exceptionally friendly and helpful. As far as the location is concerned - if you are a tourist, you couldn't ask for better being smack bang in the middle of tourist town. Step out on to Nathan Rd. The waterfront and Star Ferry 5 mins walk, MTR at your doorstep and airport bus across the road. I can't imagine that you could do any better value for the money in HK and would recommend to my family and friends.
Dennis - New Zealand

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Dennis i
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We stayed at Ashoka Guest House for 4 days in May 2011. Good location, the airport bus stops downastairs. MTR stations are also at walking distance.
The hostel is located on the 13 floor of the Chung King Mansion,a awful building in Nathan Road. The elevators are very slow and crowded.
Our double room was very small, with a tiny window, but was clean. They changed the towels everyday.
A good and cheap hostel in Hong Kong.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rigordol
Reviewed April 28, 2011

I booked a room for one night at Ashoka for HK$150 but the next day I asked the manager if there were any extra beds for me to extend my stay. I knew he had extra beds since my mixed dorm was completely empty and of the four beds in the room I was the only one occupying one. He said yes, but that I would now have to pay HK$ 300 for the same mixed dorm bed, and then he showed me a receipt of another guest that payed HK$300 that day to justify the increased price. I said that that was rediculous and I haggled it down to HK $250. I paid the bill but after talking to another backpacker I felt cheated. I found out that the other backpacker was only paying HK$140 per night. After thinking about it I was so angry I went back and asked for a refund, and decided to leave. There are many guesthouses in Chung King Mansion and I easily found another place for the orginal price of $150. I understand the way that business functions, but a business should also function with integrity.
in terms of the room itself, it was very small and stuffy, and there is no wifi access in the room (only in the living area).

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank tammy126
Reviewed April 27, 2011

I stayed in that Hostel two times, because I was in HK on Visa business. First of all, it's very clean, the people are absolutely friendly, offer excellent service, will answer you any question you may have and even recognize you, when you come back to their facility, as it was the case with me. It's a little small and the second time I stayed some people were a little noisy in the night, but in case of any problems go to the front desk and the staff wil surely help you out. As for the space, you cannot expect to live in a luxurious room when you stay in Chunking Mansin. Anyway, I wanted to stay three days, but I had to cut it short and to leave after one night and guess what, they refunded me the money I already paid for three nights. That's what I call service! Definetely a recommendation from me and whn it comes to booking online Ashoka is great. I booked my room over the Internet, had a reply after about five minutes, needed to make an additional change in my booking, again a matter of five minutes. Thumbs up!!!

Room Tip: Single room, 16th floor, quiet and nice.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Consti2401
Reviewed March 28, 2011

We stayed here for 4 days and paid 180HKD/night for a double room with ensuite. If you do plan to stay here I would probably recommend staying the the dorms as the private rooms were quite hospital-like and the private bathroom is more of annoyance than convenience.

the good:
- the wifi in the main lounge where the dorms are worked well.
- great location
- cheap Indian food on the first floor if you're on a budget
- luggage storage offered

the bad:
- the female staff here were quite rude. The wife (I assume) was extremely pushy and unpleasant the whole time. It was clear that customer service was not her strongest suit nor concern.
- the above also describes the daughter (the male staff were quite friendly though!)
- no ironing! Even tho there was a iron & ironing board I was forbidden to use it!!
- the private rooms are not worth the price and the 'double' bed (small, small, small!!) will leave you wishing you were in a dorm (at least) with your own bed.
- the floor space in the privates was so little that we had to take turns opening our luggage
- the wifi in the other blocks was brutal. We had to go to the main block everytime we wanted to use it which isn't convenient at all.

I wouldn't recommend this place unless you were staying in a dorm...

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed December 11, 2010

I contacted the hostel via e-mail because I had problems with booking via internet. I called and sent mails and waited for 2-3 days before I got a reply. That was positive, the room was confirmed as booked. Surprisingly the price was more than double of what I got from internet service. I sent anohter mail. No reply, until I had reminded them again and called twice (they just told me that we will check and call you back. Well they did not even ask my number!) Finally after remindering them by e-mail they replied. This time the message was: sorry we are fully booked. next time! Well I called again and told my story and asked why are you not giving the room which you confirmed earlier? They hag up on me!

Unbeliveable service. Well that is a clear sign that they do not want customers and can not serve them! I found another hostel and I am sure the service will be better! Thanks for nothing.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo