“Definetely the best adress in Chunking Mansion”
Review of Ashoka Guest House

Ashoka Guest House
Ranked #112 of 272 Hong Kong B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 27, 2011

I stayed in that Hostel two times, because I was in HK on Visa business. First of all, it's very clean, the people are absolutely friendly, offer excellent service, will answer you any question you may have and even recognize you, when you come back to their facility, as it was the case with me. It's a little small and the second time I stayed some people were a little noisy in the night, but in case of any problems go to the front desk and the staff wil surely help you out. As for the space, you cannot expect to live in a luxurious room when you stay in Chunking Mansin. Anyway, I wanted to stay three days, but I had to cut it short and to leave after one night and guess what, they refunded me the money I already paid for three nights. That's what I call service! Definetely a recommendation from me and whn it comes to booking online Ashoka is great. I booked my room over the Internet, had a reply after about five minutes, needed to make an additional change in my booking, again a matter of five minutes. Thumbs up!!!

Room Tip: Single room, 16th floor, quiet and nice.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Consti2401

Reviewed March 28, 2011

We stayed here for 4 days and paid 180HKD/night for a double room with ensuite. If you do plan to stay here I would probably recommend staying the the dorms as the private rooms were quite hospital-like and the private bathroom is more of annoyance than convenience.

the good:
- the wifi in the main lounge where the dorms are worked well.
- great location
- cheap Indian food on the first floor if you're on a budget
- luggage storage offered

the bad:
- the female staff here were quite rude. The wife (I assume) was extremely pushy and unpleasant the whole time. It was clear that customer service was not her strongest suit nor concern.
- the above also describes the daughter (the male staff were quite friendly though!)
- no ironing! Even tho there was a iron & ironing board I was forbidden to use it!!
- the private rooms are not worth the price and the 'double' bed (small, small, small!!) will leave you wishing you were in a dorm (at least) with your own bed.
- the floor space in the privates was so little that we had to take turns opening our luggage
- the wifi in the other blocks was brutal. We had to go to the main block everytime we wanted to use it which isn't convenient at all.

I wouldn't recommend this place unless you were staying in a dorm...

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed December 11, 2010

I contacted the hostel via e-mail because I had problems with booking via internet. I called and sent mails and waited for 2-3 days before I got a reply. That was positive, the room was confirmed as booked. Surprisingly the price was more than double of what I got from internet service. I sent anohter mail. No reply, until I had reminded them again and called twice (they just told me that we will check and call you back. Well they did not even ask my number!) Finally after remindering them by e-mail they replied. This time the message was: sorry we are fully booked. next time! Well I called again and told my story and asked why are you not giving the room which you confirmed earlier? They hag up on me!

Unbeliveable service. Well that is a clear sign that they do not want customers and can not serve them! I found another hostel and I am sure the service will be better! Thanks for nothing.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank MerjaFinland
Reviewed November 10, 2010

My mother and I stayed four days and three nights at Ashoka Hostel, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong. We reached early than the check-in time but the hotel management received us warmly and gave us a good room with bath attached facility, though for sake of budget we had booked a room without bath room facility and wanted to use a shared bath room.

They were very helpful and spoke excellent English. They guided us as to where we could get vegetarian meals and about locations for sight seeing.

They followed up with airport authorities when our luggage had not come and also helped us to get the luggage at the hotel itself.

We had an excellent stay. The room was clean and comfy. The hostel is centrally located with many shops, restaurants and places of sight seeing nearby. It is very close to Victoria Harbour and also to Hong Kong Island (Central) by ferry.

We regret that our stay was short and would choose Ashoka Hostel again if we happen to visit HK.

The owners - Mr. Gurudev Singh David and his enthusiastic family members made us feel at home and we left feeling nostalgic about the pleasant stay in the hostel

Please keep it up.

Bhashyam
(Booking Reference No. 33386-17986913)

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank SHYAM09
Reviewed October 31, 2010

This guesthouse is clean and the staff friendly. They are very willing to please, speak excellent English are happy to help with anything you need. There is always someone at the door to ensure safety, our bags were kept safe everyday. Cleanliness is 100%! The bedroom looked decent, the beds were fairly comfortable and sheets clean, they provided a clean towel everyday. The free wifi is very fast. The only real downturn is the bathroom. It's a cubbyhole with toilet, and a sink the size of a shoe. No shower, it's a hose in the toilet. If you're used to roughing it out as a backpacker, you'll likely find this lovely. However, if this is not your thing then be aware that it's rough. There is hot water in the shower which is great. Room comes with aircon, fan, 2 small mirrors, phone with unlimited free phone calls within hong kong. Although check out is at 11.30am, they are happy to keep your luggage for you until the time of tour flight which is great.

Get ready to be freaked out by Chung King mansions which is where this guesthouse is in. It is a fire hazard waiting to happen, very old, unmaintained. The lifts are shockingly slow and can't carry many people, so much so that people queue at "rush hours" to get in and hop off. Location, location, location is everything in HK and this place is so central, so easy to walk to the star ferry to go accross to central. Near MTR, bus stop and walking distance to all needs.

• Stayed: October 2010
4  Thank Mmeurzec
Reviewed September 1, 2010

If you are looking for a cheap accomodation, I expect Ashoka is ok for you, otherwise I would not recommend it at all.
It is conveniently located (Nathan Road), next to subway, but Chungking Mansion is really awful. As soon as we got there we were surrounded by chaps trying to bring us to other accomodation: fortunately the owner had written not to give them any credit!
The bedroom was the smallest ever: we had nearly no chance to move or anywhere to put our backpacks! and the bathroom was the tiniest ever seen. Nevertheless it looked clean enough, although I cannot guarantee for towels and linen.
Aircon was too noisy so we had to keep it off during the night and it was really very hot.
As we had to make our reservation last minute, wanted to spend as little money as possibile, and stayed in Ashoka only to shower and sleep it was quite ok. But we were not so tranquil when we got back at night in Chungking Mansions: as soon as I saw it I understood why Lonely guide defines it "a nightmare for backpack travellers".

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank penelope72
Reviewed June 6, 2010

The Ashoka Guest House is placed in the Chunk King Mansion, Nathan Road, Down Town Hong Kong. I went there for three times. In the Chunk King Mansion are also a dozent of other cheap guesthouses in the Chunk King Mansion. Its a Microcosm of Indian and African people. Downstairs are a lot of little shops for electronic products and DVDs and CDs... Also there are about four or more very delicous Indian restaurants in the Mansion. The Service at ASHOKA is friendly and the rooms are very small and cheap. I ve they are overbooked they accommodate you in one of the other guest houses in the mansion. Towels and linen aren´t realy clean. The walls are thin and so its often very loud from other rooms and from the corridor. Some Rooms don´t have windows. Or sometimes the windows are directed to the very dark and dirty inner courtyard. Sometimes the Rooms used from prostitutes. Its a strange pleace. Dont recommended for solo girls. This place is OK if you are traveling in small groups. And you only use the place to sleep there.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo