“A fine and affordable guest house in the heart of Kowloon!”

Maple Leaf Guest House
Ranked #222 of 729 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Some reviews made me apprehensive about booking the Maple Leaf Guest House in the Chung King Mansions but my four nights there were very fine. Yes, the CKM has a reputation but my experience in no way was negative.

The location is superb. It is only a short walk to the Star Ferry pier with the bus from the airport stopping right in front of the building. Equally convenient is the subway. The Tsim Sha Tsui station is but steps from the entrance on Nathan.

For those who fear the touts, there really is nothing to fear. Just walk with conviction, say "no thank you" if they attempt to divert you to a different establishment and maintain your civility. All will be well.

I did purchase a SIM card immediately upon my arrival and that propreitor pointed me in the direction of elevator E and presto, I was on the 12th floor and being greeted by the very courteous Miss Lee.

Regarding the rooms, I stayed in a single. The rooms was quite small but impeccably clean with tile covering the floor and all walls (much more easily cleaned than carpet). The bed was a single but more than adequate for yours truly. The room had no windows but that didn't bother me as I was there only to sleep after a long day of seeing the sites. The room had an effective air conditioner, television set, telephone and a variety of AC plugs including the U-ground of North America that I required.

The washroom .... yes, you have a private washroom ... was small and was really just a large shower stall in which was situated a a toilet and sink. The water heater was of the tankless type that you turned on about 30 seconds before you began your shower and turned off when finished. The only trick is ensuring that you did all your "business" before your shower so as to avoid wet feet but hey, it all works.

Their are a pair of elevators for each tower in the Chung King Mansions. One elevator handles even numbered floors, the other the odd numbered floors. There are of course stairs as well so you can take the other elevator and walk up or down one flight if you so choose.

There is plenty of shopping on the ground floor of the CKM. It can be a bit intimidating but it can also be a lot of fun. Many food choices too although as I was eating on my adventures, I usually only bought a few vegi samosas, from a vendor by my elevator, for a late snack up in my room.

So, in conclusion, if you need only a sleeping space and are looking for a nice price, this establishment should suit you well. My only regret is that I stayed in HK for only four nights. I should have done seven. If and when I return to HK for a part two of my explorations, I will certainly consider this establishment depending on just what my requirements might be at the time.

I would also have no problem recommending it to any budget travellers that need a clean and convenient place to stay.

db

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
6  Thank David B

Reviewed December 5, 2011

Beside gotta entrance sort of the little Indian (dirty/ hot/ smell stincky) before entring to the guesthouse.
Maple leaf guesthouse is nice 'n clean!! The staff is friendly! I did mistake booking wrong dates - they tried to help me out. Good location for shopping/ MTR just about 3 mins walk/ easy for grab food

• Stayed: December 2011
4  Thank gleaming
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Chunking Mansions aside, the guest house is very clean and safe. The owner is very helpful, we got a free map, free hot and cold water. There was a lock and a chain on the door, plus a locked door into the guesthouse. Wifi and cable tv in the room, which was cleaned every day and was spotless. A bit small but that's Hong Kong. Price was a bit high but that's because there was a convention in the city. We would definitely return!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Anfisa55
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Me and my friend stayed there for 5 nights in early Oct 2011,yes it's very small even for a petite girls like us. But hey,it's Hong kong,when space is limited and expensive, so yes we are very fortunate we have a small frame so we fit nicely with this hostel.For us the important things is clean bed and bathroom.
They clean the room and change the towel everyday. We can refill our mineral water for free and the owner is very helpful and friendly.
The free wifi is a bit sucks, maybe because my room is a bit far from their front desk.*sigh*
And the chungking mansion itself is a bit scary if you are a girl traveler. Had a scary moment with some Indian and African men who were following us because they know we only 2girls traveler,but thanks God there's a cctv camera inside the lift and once we arrived in our floor we were okay and safe. My opinion is do not make eye contact to them and always keep the number of the owner for emergency :(
But as I said before this hostel is very good but as for Chungking mansion as long as you have male friend with you then this place is very recommended :)

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Gulali56
Reviewed May 8, 2011

Actually I was bit doubt when my friend said that not to book any hostel in Chungking Mansions since there are many touts around there. I was planning to revise it but I turn it down since I thought that I would give it a try.

We were arrived in Hong Kong at midnight and I was quite feared that our experience in Agra, India would happen again. Surrounded by touts and etc. But I found that the touts around chungking mansion are OK since they won't disturb you if you already said no. Tips that you should do are pretending that you were already knew where to go, so they won't bother you a lot.

Suddenly there was an old woman approaching me, I thought that she would be another tout so I pretend not to be interested, but she is holding my friend's name (who made the booking in this guest house). I finally found it later that she is the owner of the guest house. She said that she has been waiting for us since she was worried that we would get lost and we didn't call her yet. She's very friendy and helpful. We felt that we are suddenly felt in safe hands for that night.
We also found that Baba (who is in the reception) was very helpful too and friendly.

The room is small for three persons, but hey...this is Hong Kong, most of the rooms are small unless you would like to pay extra (vagant) for rooms, you would have big size ones. The bathroom is small but clean. There's also complimentary Wi-Fi in the room which is very helpful for us to connect to the wired world.

The location is very good, near to Tsim Tsa Sui (sorry if it's mistakenly spelled) Station, near to the McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Seven Eleven so you would find it helpful to get a food.

In overall, I would highly recommend this guest house since the location is very good and has excellent services.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank virtualaris
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Hostel inside the building Chungking Mansions. The room was very clean but very small for three people. Equipped with a bathroom, also very small. Free internet in the room. Staff very friendly and helpful. The hotel is a very good starting point for shopping and exploring the city. The room rate is very low (about Euros 10 per person per day).

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank dromack
Reviewed May 8, 2009

We stayed at Maple Leaf guest house for 1 night in February. We are travelling on a budget this time and there weren't many good budget options in Hong Kong. Normally when we visit HK we stay in a cheaper hotel but this seemed fine for 1 night.

And it was 'okay'. We took a train from the airport into the city and then a cab to the guest house. The manager was waiting at the curb for us to ensure that none of the other guesthouse touts managed to sway us instead.

Chunking Mansions (and Mirador Mansions) are in the heart of Tsim Sha Tsui, perfect location close to the water, markets, and all the action of Kowloon. The Mansions are a warren of apartments and guesthouses. The whole place looks a little run down until you enter the hallway of the guesthouse which has been recently renovated.

The rooms are tiny, but there was an ensuite so it was quite comfortable. They advertised free wifi, but it was actually only available near the 'office'. A small desk right outside the elevator.

The manager was nice, and the room was okay. In a pinch, i guess we'd stay here again but if you can afford a little more, the other hotels in town would be my pick instead.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple