“Interesting place to stay”
Review of West Hotel

West Hotel
Ranked #256 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
Newcastle, Australia
“Interesting place to stay”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stayed at this hotel before I joined a tour to go into China. The rooms are very clean and the hotel is in a very safe area. Staff were very helpful as I arrived very late at night. It is very close to Austin station and Nathan and Jordan Roads. Temple Street and the Ladies markets are very close. Also for those just interested in how the Chinese deal in jade. The Jade market is 2 streets away. It was fascinating to watch.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Last minute trip led me to book this hotel.
1. Staff was surprisingly well spoken in English n when I called to ask that they accept my bags sent ahead by a day, they agreed whereas another in same vicinity would not even if I had confirmed booking.
2. Wifi throughout hotel was stable and free
3. Close proximity to Kowloon Station for airport express to airport or cross border bus to China. $20 taxi plus $5 per bag.
4. Easy to hail taxi outside hotel door
5. Housekeeping staff vey cheerful. The chubby lady quickly rushed to help when she saw me struggling with my luggage
6. Brisk 10 min walk to Jordan Station and Nathan Road
7. 2 mins to entrance of Austin station but a long walk thru subway to mrt itself.
8. Plenty of shops n eateries closeby
9 Hotel itself is on quiet street just off busy Jordan Road
10. Got the best exchange rate at the 2nd shop next to corner (not the one with the Western Union sign)
11. Corner suite on 15th floor was clean, large and cheerful

Room Tip: Ask for non-smoking room preferably a top floor corner suite
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 21, 2013

1. Totally helpful staff who speak English well esp the reception ladies. I called to check that hotel would accept my bags arriving a day in advance n they said yes whereas another in same vicinity would not even if I had a confirmed booking. Very cheerful housekeeping ladies. The chubby one immediately came to help when she saw me struggling with my luggage. They even allowed me to store my bags after checkout as my flight was past midnight.
2. Mostly Chinese guests who are pleasant and well mannered, not rowdy nor obnoxious
3. Wifi in lobby n 1st floor computer / lounge as well as in room are free and stable
4. 10 min brisk walk to Jordan mrt
5. Very easy to hail taxi
6. $20 taxi fare to (add $5 more per bag) to Kowloon station where you can get on airport express to airport. You can also get bus to China from there.
7. My non-smoking suite room was clean, large n comfortable.
8. It was a last minute booking and I had a very good price online, otherwise would not have picked this hotel which I had never heard of. Very pleased it turned out safe and far better than expected.

Note tho that the wall sockets are 3-pins in HK so either purchase adaptor fm hotel @hk$10 or buy one from the stores. I actually overpaid outside as I was not aware the hotel sells
I had the best exchange rate at the 2nd from corner store (not the one with Western Union sign) on Wai Ching Road just next to Austin mrt entrance

Room Tip: Ask for non-smoking room corner suite
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Toronto
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The previous reviews are quite right on. I spent three nights at this hotel as part of a tour package in March 2013. The location of this hotel is great if you want to be close to bargain shopping and affordable food stalls: you’re within a ten minute walk to Shanghai Street where I ate most of my meals (great BBQ, noodle soups, congee, fish balls etc and bakeries off of Jordon Road) and also within a ten minute walk to Temple Street which has a very unique night market that you can get some street shopping done. You’re also only a few minutes walk to the Jordon Road subway station so it’s very convenient for public transit. So in terms of location these were the reasons I really liked the hotel.
For the hotel itself, it is simple and yes it is small (remember it’s Hong Kong and if you’re on a budget keep this in mind). The price is very reasonable. I found it to be clean enough.
I saw one review from last year that last mentioned wi-fi - that reviewer said there was only wi-fi in the lobby. Well, I’m happy to announce that it must have changed in the past year since I had complimentary wi-fi in my room during my stay.
Now the issue with hot water: it’s not that there is no hot water. There is plenty of hot water. I shared the room with my parents so there were three of us showering a day. None of us ran out of hot water. The issue is that the water temperature fluctuates and does so unexpectedly and quickly. You’ll have the warm water running and all of a sudden it will be cold - you turn the tap more hot and then the water may come out scalding hot. I found that after about 5-10 minutes in the shower, the water temperature didn’t fluctuate as much. But as per the advise of others, do not leave young children or elderly to shower on their own here.
As for the hard beds, yes the beds are very hard. My parents and I actually had a room with two double beds and we ordered a cot for me so there were three beds in our room. The mattress of the cot is much more softer and tolerable - and I really want to stress that. If you are spending more than one night here and you find that the bed is too hard for you to sleep properly on, order a cot up the second night onwards and you’ll probably thank me :) That’s my tip!!
Oh and I noticed some people complaining about the staff. I found the front desk staff very helpful and they spoke a good amount of English - enough that I could get my point across. I wanted to book the Symphony of Lights evening cruise and they used the front desk phone to help me book it and the front desk ladies also gave me instructions on how to get there via the nearby subway station. They were very kind and helpful so no problems there with the service.

Room Tip: The mattress of the cot is much more softer and tolerable than the hard mattress on the beds - and I...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I will be staying at this West Hotel end of February 2013 and basing on most comments here, I would say most have not tried the worst hotel in Hong Kong yet. I got fooled by the internet photos of this "beautiful" Oriental Lander Hotel located at No.206 Tongmi Road, Mong Kok, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China before. The price is almost the same as West Hotel but the real appearance of the hotel will make you faint and the room will make you faint further !!! From main door, just 2 foot steps straight, it's the toilet door. Then turn left, less then 5 foot steps, it's the bed!!! I couldn't imagine that and yet they still could upload the photos to make them looked nice. The main entrance and building is out of nowhere along the road. When the taxi stopped us there, we got shocked! And the lobby only had 2 sofa seats. This I would say it's real terrible! So wait till you try this then you may compare and know what is the real meaning of "small"...... Hence I believe West Hotel isn't that bad and I will comment after my return in early March 2013 :)

Room Tip: ** Need to fill up "when did you travel as Dec 2012 but I will write my review when I am back i...
Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank FantasyKelly
Ireland
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We spent two nights here after a 3 week holiday through China. Having read the reviews on TA, I wasnt expecting too much, but was pleasantly surprised. The location was excellent, close to the transportation system, so you are an easy ride from HK Island. The hotel is a no frills business style hotel, but it was perfectly fine for us. The rooms were small (we were on the 8th floor), but perfectly adequate, and come with en-suite. I do have to agree with all the reviewers that yes, the beds are hard!! But having slept on hard beds for most of our time in China, we were used to it, so it was fine. Rooms come with TV (you may be lucky and find an english speaking channel) and WIFI is available in the lobby or one floor up, in the business centre (it has better signal). Kowloon Station is very close, maybe a 10min walk, and at that station you can check your bags in for your international flights - means you dont have to use the hotels left luggage, or carry your bags around with you.....and when you get to the airport, there is NO check in, its great!!! From Kowloon Station you can go anywhere, so its a good location for exploring HK and neighbouring Islands.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlanMerrins
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The hotel is handily placed for the night market and is about 10 minutes from 2 subway lines and 25 mins from Kowloon Airport express. Its a bit difficult to find and there are steps on the way from the station; best get a taxi from Kowloon.
The room was clean and larger than expected with views over the harbour. The carpet was grubby though and the bathroom was very small. There is free internet downstairs.
The beds were very hard and i slept poorly. The air conditioning had only 1 setting, full on or off. The shower went cold befor i had finished on 2 of the 3 mornings i was there. I think it was the time of day as the first morning i was up much earlier. I would prefer to not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business