The front desk staff were helpful, accommodating and spoke good English. They communicated effectively especially when we asked for directions to visit places of interests, restaurants, MTR stations and the markets. The downside is they do not smile. We requested for a double bed, but then, they will give us a room for the disabled which may deprive a person with disability a proper room and it would also bring us away from the room of our children, and so we politely declined. However, their effort to grant our request is highly appreciated.
The breakfast was fine, although it was the same throughout our stay. The only negative aspect was the staff at the Maroon Cafe, a lady named Rain who never smiled and was pretty grouchy all the time. It gave us the feeling that we were not welcomed at the Cafe.
The room was relatively small but was enough for our needs. The bathroom was also small, including the shower. The shower had no door so the entire bathroom gets wet after taking a bath, the curtain did little to prevent this from happening. The rooms provided the standard amenities except that it had no complimentary bottled water, which was customary in all other hotels we've stayed in. Our room was on the 12th or 13th floor which had commanding view of Kowloon skyline. We were on a non-smoking floor, but the bathroom of our children smelled cigarette smoke. Our request to have to have it cleaned was promptly attended to.
The bed was comfortable enough to provide us restful sleep, feeling refreshed in the morning.
The hotel was a short walking distance from the Olympian and Mongkok MTR stations, the Ladies Market, Sneakers Market, restaurants, and 7-11 convenience store.
Have your currency exchanged someplace else because the hotel gives low rates for your money.
I would be happy to return to this hotel on my next visit to Hong Kong but I would also like to try other HK hotels.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Silka West Kowloon, Hong Kong is a value hotel situated in Tai Kok Tsui, a booming new city in Kowloon. The hotel has 141 rooms that are affordable. It is only 35 minutes drive away from the Hong Kong International Airport, 8 minutes to the Mong Kok East Train Station, 10 minutes away from the China Hong Kong Ferry Terminal and within close proximity to the vibrant district of Tsim Sha Tsui. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity and Orbitz so you can book your Silka West Kowloon Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dorsett Kowloon Hong Kong
- Hotel Dorsett Kowloon
- Silka West Kowloon Hotel Hong Kong