“Good Enough!”

Silka West Kowloon Hotel
Ranked #199 of 726 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The front desk staff were helpful, accommodating and spoke good English. They communicated effectively especially when we asked for directions to visit places of interests, restaurants, MTR stations and the markets. The downside is they do not smile. We requested for a double bed, but then, they will give us a room for the disabled which may deprive a person with disability a proper room and it would also bring us away from the room of our children, and so we politely declined. However, their effort to grant our request is highly appreciated.

The breakfast was fine, although it was the same throughout our stay. The only negative aspect was the staff at the Maroon Cafe, a lady named Rain who never smiled and was pretty grouchy all the time. It gave us the feeling that we were not welcomed at the Cafe.

The room was relatively small but was enough for our needs. The bathroom was also small, including the shower. The shower had no door so the entire bathroom gets wet after taking a bath, the curtain did little to prevent this from happening. The rooms provided the standard amenities except that it had no complimentary bottled water, which was customary in all other hotels we've stayed in. Our room was on the 12th or 13th floor which had commanding view of Kowloon skyline. We were on a non-smoking floor, but the bathroom of our children smelled cigarette smoke. Our request to have to have it cleaned was promptly attended to.

The bed was comfortable enough to provide us restful sleep, feeling refreshed in the morning.

The hotel was a short walking distance from the Olympian and Mongkok MTR stations, the Ladies Market, Sneakers Market, restaurants, and 7-11 convenience store.

Have your currency exchanged someplace else because the hotel gives low rates for your money.

I would be happy to return to this hotel on my next visit to Hong Kong but I would also like to try other HK hotels.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the top floor. It is quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
DorsettIntl, Director of MarCom, Dorsett Hospitality International at Silka West Kowloon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Dear fmcsilbor

Thank you for staying with us and for the good insight in regards to your stay experience at our hotel. We are happy to note that overall you have found our location, facilities and services matched up to your expectation.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our humble abode on your next visit.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

I travel to Asia several times per year, I was to spend a weekend in Hong Kong, I called Expedia to make sure I got the hotel where I wanted it, since the usual hotel I stay didn't have a room, Expedia suggested a hotel (Silka Kowloon Hotel, so I check the hotel on line it look good so I was happy to get a good deal I never stayed there before.
My surprise was when I arrived the hotel was not the same I remember from checking it on line, distant form the area I wanted to stay, and much less hotel than I was told and expected from the pictures on line, rooms have very small bath rooms, etc.

then I confirm that there are two Silka hotels, one is Silka West, something the lady at Expedia forgot to tell me, when I talked to her on the phone, and not near the area where I wanted to stay.

hope you don't make the same mistake I made.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank 87traveler87
DorsettIntl, Director of MarCom, Dorsett Hospitality International at Silka West Kowloon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Dear 87traveler

Under our group, Dorsett Hospitality International, there are actually 3 Silka Hotels in Hong Kong....Silka Far East, Silka West Kowloon and Silka Seaview.

All the 3 Silka Hotels are managed similarly and location wise, cater to different guests' requirements.

I do hope you have had a pleasant stay with us all the same.

Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

room is clean.. wifi is great.. breakfast is ok.. helpful staff.. near mongkok which is great! :) near fastfood and some local stores which are open til midnight which suits us just fine since we roam around the area at midnight for some snacks and a bit of shopping.. would stay there again..

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank Dulce C

Dear Dulce C

Good to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us!

We look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Hong Kong.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stayed here with a friend in Feb 2013. This hotel came as part of a package deal we booked so it wasn't a choice of ours.

Do not expect much of the rooms in Hong Kong. They're all small and cramped. Just like this one. However, it did have a window ledge where we could put our luggage on so that was a plus point. There was a mini fridge and a table with a mini TV in the room as well. We got a room with two single beds. I'm 168cm or 5ft6in tall but the beds were too short for me! So I would say avoid this hotel for guests taller than 165cm. Uncomfy sleep for the entire stay. Oh, and the rooms are split into smoking and non-smoking. So do request upon check in.

Breakfast was included here but we only had it once. Not much variety and food was cold and dreadful. Anyway, you're in Hong Kong! So much to eat all around, why would you eat a hotel's breakfast?

Location wise, I would say it is at least a 15- 20 minutes walk to the nearest MTR station at Mong Kok or 10 minutes to Olympic station. So plan your journey well. I think there are many other hotels in Hong Kong more centrally located than this one.

Staff are pretty friendly and spoke good English. Always welcoming us no matter what time we arrived back. So I guess it could be one of the few redeeming factors of the hotel.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this hotel unless you have absolutely nowhere else to stay in the Mong Kok area.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Yanwan
DorsettIntl, Director of MarCom at Silka West Kowloon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Dear Yanwan

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your comments. We are happy to learn that you have found the level of service by our team satisfactory and room amenities sufficiently adequate.

In general, the location of our hotel is a plus factor and we do apologies that you have found this to be otherwise.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

If you only use the hotel to sleep, then anything that this hotel is lacking is acceptable.
Small room but clean. Shower area was so small, that when you showered, you end up wetting the entire floor of the toilet. There's a coffee and tea set with the kettle, which was much welcomed. All our requests were settled, without any issue.
Area is near amnesties, mall and MTR. Walking distance to Ladies Market and Mongkok station too. At night, may get a bit quiet and lonely, but generally quite alright.
It is also near a halal certified stall--Roti King which served Indian food and the Pratas were really yummy.
Best about this is hotel is the shuttle bus service thy provided every hour to Airport Express, which took about 40 minutes as they need to pick up and alight passengers along the way.
If you are not particular, this hotel will just do.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ct_fuZZy

Dear ct_fuzzy

Thank you for staying with us and it is good to know that you have in general, enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

The hotel is a few blocks from the MTR. Also within a few blocks you cand find some local restaurants, fast food and a couple of bars.
The room was quite small, but very clean. Toiletries supplied daily, housekeeping did a great job. The staff was very helpful with anything we requested. We did not have breakfast included.
Would stay there again!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank AlinF868
kattie64, Director of MarCom, Dorsett Hospitality International at Silka West Kowloon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Dear Alin

We are indeed happy to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Warmest regards

Reviewed February 3, 2013

The Good:
Check In was smooth and efficient. The wi-fi service in the room is particularly great. Despite our room being on a smoking floor, the room is smoke-smell free. Our requests were also attended to immediately, and we have attendants who helped us with the elevator and the front door almost every time.

The Bad:
Location of the hotel was a little hard to find. Can be a drag on your first day, especially when you're lugging your baggage along.

The I'm Ok-with-it-not-sure-about-other-people:
The room is quite small, with just enough space to move from one end to another. In fact, once we requested iron and ironing board to be brought in, we're pretty much climbing on our beds to get to the other side of the room. The beds only barely fit my frame (I'm 5'4").

My friend and I are medium-built Asians, so these arrangements doesn't bother us. But for fellow travellers who are on the tall side, this might be a little too snug for your taste. Also, those traveling with children might want to consider asking for two rooms, just for the breathing space.

For me, it was good. A decent stay for people who spend most of their time outside.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank AnneSB2012

Dear Anne

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We thank you for your constructive feedback. As with most hotels in Hong Kong, unfortunately there's nothing much we can do about the size of the rooms. However, we do have different room categories of varying size and for travellers with family, there's always this option.

With regards to the other areas of services and facilities, we are happy to learn that we have met your expectations.

Once again thank you and we look forward to seeing you again soon.