You get what you pay for - after all this hotel is not bad if you are just looking for a place to sleep at night and are out the rest of the time.
The hotel's location is good, walking distance from both Olympic and Mong Kok MTR stations and an airport bus stop nearby, with plenty of local eateries around.
It appears that most of the rooms are smoking rooms (as was mine), which didn't bother me though as there was not even a hint of a smell in the room.
All in all the room was very small - barely enough space to open your suitcase, let alone for two people to stay in for a longer period of time. Although facing the street, it was very quiet at night, and the aircon is working just fine. Just the matresses are quite hard and the single beds are rather narrow.
We didn't have the breakfast but from walking past it looks like a decent spread and fresh, the restaurant is quiet and clean.
What disappointed me though is the service attitude here. There was not a bit of friendliness nor professionalism from the Reception staff, which peaked when I asked whether they could break down a $1000 note for me and was rudely told off. Most disappointing is that most of the staff only seem to speak very basic English - more than once I had to rely on my local friend to communicate with them (in Mandarin, not even Cantonese).
However, two incidents stood out: when I (or rather my Chinese-speaking friend) communicated to the Receptionist that one of the power outlets was not working, an engineer came by within minutes to render very friendly assistance. I asked for the outlet to be repaired only the next day which was reliably done.
The second incident is when I asked the Concierge (I believe his name was Frank) about some things related to a trip to Macau. He was clearly very knowledgeable, respectable and eager to assist.
Yet, unfortunately, the Reception and Housekeeping staff being very unpleasant to deal with spoiled the impression of the whole hotel's service.
All in all, the Silka West Kowloon is a decent choice if you're not planning to stay for long and don't spend extended amount of time in the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Silka West Kowloon, Hong Kong is a value hotel situated in Tai Kok Tsui, a booming new city in Kowloon. The hotel has 141 rooms that are affordable. It is only 35 minutes drive away from the Hong Kong International Airport, 8 minutes to the Mong Kok East Train Station, 10 minutes away from the China Hong Kong Ferry Terminal and within close proximity to the vibrant district of Tsim Sha Tsui. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Silka West Kowloon Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dorsett Kowloon Hong Kong
- Hotel Dorsett Kowloon
- Silka West Kowloon Hotel Hong Kong