“great location!”

Ranked #85 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Verona, Wisconsin
“great location!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014

My family and I stayed in room 2584 (25th floor) from May 10-15, 2014. I had picked this hotel because it was on a list of hotels recommended by a conference list and it was close to the MTR line (1 block) — note that the proximity to the MTR line is not the same as proximity to an MTR entrance since the entrance may be 0.25 miles or more from the line. The proximity of the hotel to Nathan Rd is nice as offers many options for banks, restaurants and other stores “just around the block”. The service at the hotel was quick and typically pretty efficient. However, the list below explains my experiences and potential concerns for other travelers considering this hotel.
1. As some reviewers seem to have noted, english was not always comprehended in a way that I would have expected for a true world class facility. When I was booking the room (several months in advance) I needed a quick confirmation that I had actually reserved a room (otherwise I had to hurry and choose another hotel based on a conference date). This took more effort that I would have expected and required a phone call to the hotel after several emails seemed to fail to explain this adequately. I did not get the feeling that some of the employees always understood me well (in english), the first time I asked questions — which is fine and not unexpected when I travel in a foreign country, but this resulted in longer than anticipated transactions.
2. As I had mentioned, we were traveling with two little kids (ages 4 and 6) and thus required a minimum of two full sized beds, if not two queens or kings. From the response (email) of my interactions with the hotel employee (during my booking process), they listed two “twins” but said that that was adequate for four people. I was confused about this as, at least in the US, two twins with two adults and two kids does not make for quality sleeping, but thought that maybe the definitions of “twins” was different in Hong Kong or something. When I inquired about this, I was assured that the room with “two twins” was adequate for a family of four. Well, we got there, the room was two twin beds was exactly that — definitely not large enough for a family of four. It turns out that (and I don’t know if this is common) there is some definition of a person that does not include a person under 12 years of age — thereby, we only had two “people” and thus two twin beds were adequate. You should check on this to avoid surprises but this is probably only a problem if traveling with small children. Fortunately they had a suite (where the bedroom had two twin beds), and said that they could supply rollaway beds for about USD$5/day/bed, so that is a viable option if you have the floorspace (which is fine in the suite).
When this was brought up to the front desk (room too small) the manager was immediately called and handled our problem very efficiently - so very good service in this respect.
3. The shower had an interesting design where the fan exhaust vent was within the footprint of the shower (on the ceiling of course), but this presumably had the (unintended) result of drawing up the steamy air up and thereby pulling the curtain into you as you showered. There was also a pretty consistent blast of very hot water during your shower which was probably due to a neighbor flushing the toilet. The pressure was more than adequate, more like a fire hose, which is much better than a trickle. The towels were adequately supplied and we definitely better than in some hotels - some of these seemed new and had some “plushiness”. Calling for more towels from your room results in them being delivered within about 3 minutes. Pretty good.
4. The pictures of the pool and gym, while they do not claim to be in the same facility, are actually in the adjacent YMCA (which by the way is a more well known landmark among the taxi drivers and locals, than the hotel itself). They are only accessible *within* the YMCA building (internally and externally connected to the hotel). The pool lanes were full (of singles) at 6am on a Monday, but had mostly cleared out by 8am. The pool is ~3 feet deep on the ends and probably 6 feet deep in the center so children of adequate height can play safely at the ends. There were two lifeguards on duty and you are required to wear a cap (provided for general use) when you use the pool.
5. For whatever reason, maybe related to the monsoon season during our stay, our 25th floor hallway and rooms were very humid, and two dehumidifiers were used to try and keep the humidity down to reasonable levels. Other floors did not seem to have this problem. The air-conditioning seemed to bring the temperature down to oil temperatures quite efficiently so I’m not sure where the humidity was coming from. Nevertheless, the dehumidifiers did their job quite well and served nicely as a white noise source from external noises (see below).
6. The south side of the building (even numbered rooms where I stayed) over look two buildings which were labeled fire department, and while we did hear the siren go off several times a night, they were not obnoxiously glaring sounds, but that may be subjective. Sirens were not an uncommon sound during the day and night - but that is not extirely unexpected in a big city.
7. The room came with an umbrella, room safe (which we did not use), mini fridge (empty, not populated with drinks), but no microwave; you were provided one water bottle per day per person, which suggests that the tap water was maybe not great for drinking - not sure if this is the case everywhere in Hong Kong.
8. There was an electric hot water kettle, but the cord was too short to keep it on the table while it heated up the water, so we had to put it on the floor to be closer to the outlet.
9. There is a distinct lack of outlets for charging your devices, which in this day and age, is somewhat unacceptable. I was able to find one the sitting area and one in the bedroom of the suite. You may want to consider bringing an extension cord or surge protector if you need to charge your devices. The lamps are connected to the outlets but through a special outlets cover (where the cord goes into the wall and you never see the plug) that does not usually have the three pronged holes for your use.
10. The Wifi is free, and seems reasonably fast for email and other low bandwidth applications, but using an iPad to watch movies on Hulu or Netflix was only good for a few minutes before it choked on the slow speeds. Occasionally, the wireless station would stop working — not sure if that was due to a large number of users or something else, but it was a bit annoying.
11. The in-house cafe (Cityview cafe) is a simple, all you can eat buffet. There are a variety of options but the “american” style food was not quite american at best. Maybe it is skewed toward some other country’s food preferences, but it is otherwise not bad.
12. You can get taxis pretty easily - just ask at the first floor near the main doors. They will ask you where you want to go and tell the taxi driver in cantonese since the taxis drivers typically don't understand much english.
13. The concierge was not particularly helpful - most answers we got were "you can find them on Nathan Road just around the corner", but perhaps we didn't ask specific questions.

These were some of the comments I had to mention. Overall, the hotel was reasonable and service was quite good and quick.

Room Tip: North side might be slightly quieter for sensitive sleepers?
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank flu
TheCityview, Front Office Manager at The Cityview Hong Kong, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Thank you for taking the time out to write your reviews. Your valuable comments have been carefully noted and it will be great to have you stay with us again in your next trip to Hong Kong.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
  • Thai first
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

Booked 2 nights, great location close to all shopping, arrived at 9am from a long flight and were able to book in immediately, excellent service! Had reserved a suite and it was nice to have extra space. Our room and the hotel are above basic, and clean and well maintained. I didn't pay for luxury. The service from all staff was 5 star, we could not have been happier. Only one small comment, our bed was pretty hard, maybe if we had told them they may have changed it. It was not hard enough to stop us sleeping. I would recommend City View.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Senorhondo
TheCityview, Front Office Manager at The Cityview Hong Kong, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Without your support, our commitment to strengthen the service bond would not have been possible. Thank you and we look forward to serving you again soon.
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

It has a good convenient location around the corner to MTR station (100 mtrs). The rooms was small compared to the last time I stayed there. Having said that I only went to my to my room to drop shopping off and sleep at night, so it was no big problem for me.
I will stay there in future depending if it is for business or pleasure.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your business. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

Convenient location next to MTR station. Efficientfree Airport Express pickup. Hotel staff is friendly & efficient. However, the breakfast was good enough to me. Not a luxury hotel but clean & comfortable.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank 嘉康 彭
Thank you for your reviews and look forward to be at your service again soon.
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

I booked a room for my younger brother and since he had no credit card, i requested the hotel to hold the deposit using my credit card as guarantee. The revenue manager Ms Barbara Chan replied and told me ok. Told me to provide front and back scan of my credit card to them too. I did all this and it was 2 days before arrival. I sent multiple emails to request for acknowledgement of email. No one bothered to reply. And when my brother checked it today, he said they asked for a deposit still! What the hell happened to my credit card then? Seriously.. i am so disappointed. It was his first trip to HK and i was the one who recommended this hotel cos i've been here before and i thought it was still good. Seems I'm wrong! Disappointing! I am not likely to stay here next time!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank stwl
TheCityview, Front Office Manager at The Cityview Hong Kong, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
We are regrettably sorry for the mis-handling of your emails, please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience and disappointment that have caused to your and your brother.
Our objective is to ensure all employees are totally customer-focus and all guest concerns and requests are handled quickly and efficiently. Kindly rest assured that appropriate training will be conducted to avoid such incident in the future and you will give us the opportunity of welcoming you to The Cityview in the future.
Riga, Latvia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

Older property with small and tired rooms. However clean and efficient, bathroom seemed to have undergone renovation.

Next to MTR station, Pickup point for free Airport Express transfer at the hotel door.
Convenient. But if you are looking for luxury, it is not place for you.

I was satisfied with my 1 nights stay, as I was able to cancel my existing reservation, and to book directly with hotel their special nonrefundable offer for 654 HKG. However, if the price would be higher, that already would not be good value for the tired environment. As the breakfast was not included in the room rate, cannot comment on the food.

3 points for the tired and small room. Half point for convenience.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your reviews and we hope we will have a chance to welcoming you to The Cityview again soon.
Bismarck, North Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

This hotel does not have large rooms, but it is clean and comfortable. Hotel staff is friendly and effecient.The hotel is near The Metro. There is a nice place to have a drink on the ground floor, called The Atrium. It is a bit expensive but they run Happy Hour specials most of the day.

• Stayed April 2014
TheCityview, Front Office Manager at The Cityview Hong Kong, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you for your kind comments to us and great to learn that you have an enjoyable stay here in The Cityview.