“Ok and Value For Money”

The Cityview Hong Kong
Ranked #84 of 729 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is quite an ok hotel and a lot better than some other proclaimed "4 star" hotels on Hong Kong Island (don't be fooled - some "4 star" hotels in Hong Kong island are really terrible, read my other review). I got the deluxe room so it was quite spacious. Location is excellent as well with the subway near the entrance to the hotel and Nathan rd just after that. Since it is also located towards the shopping end of Kowloon, you can just walk to the main shopping center (15min walk) and local restaurants. Don't expect much though because it is fairly old and outdated, especially the room, furniture and bedding but clean nevertheless. Recommended if you want a decent and clean hotel but cannot afford the others.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are more spacious and worth it if staying with 3 people - even 2 if you're willing...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank KTFromAus
TheCityview, Front Office Manager at The Cityview Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Your valuable comments concerning the facilities in the room such as the out-dated furniture has been carefully noted.
Thank you for stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Cityview during your next trip to Hong Kong.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,717)

Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Overall, I was satisfied with the hotel stay. The location is excellent, about 2 mins walk from the MTR station. Travelling around was so convenient.

The service provided was so much better compared to the other hotels I stayed previously. We were upgraded to an executive room and was allowed to check in earlier.

Everyone in the hotel were friendly including the housekeeper. She was very proactive.

1  Thank ShirLin_Lim

We are pleased to learn that you had a pleasant stay with us at The Cityview and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Pretty big hotel with tourists checking in and out every day, but a little too commercialized for me. I suppose it's quite an established hotel, the room's carpet and furniture are getting just a tad old. And we found a leftover cake in the fridge when we first got into the room. However cleaning ladies were pleasant folks and greeted us whenever we walked past.

When we checked in, I was charged some extra fees even though I thought I already paid everything through Expedia, and was later told that this was an error and I would get my money back.

Other than the above minor incidents, it was generally an acceptable stay, but I've had better (in other less developed countries too)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Zach A
TheCityview, Front Office Manager at The Cityview Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

We are terribly sorry to learn that there were leftover cake in the fridge after you checked in the room. Please accept our sincere apologies and we hope this experience will not alter your confidence in The Cityview.
Kindly rest assured that appropriate training will be condcuted to avoid such incident in the future.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed in deluxe room (10th floor) on MARCH 2011 for 7 night.....
booked through hotels.com

Location: very close to Yau Ma Tei MTR station entrance....(only few steps behind the hotel building), also there are a lot of bus choice in front of the lobby....this was the greatness about the Cityview.
The King's park is in walking distance, nice and quite in the morning.....
This hotel also one of the shuttle bus stop point from airport....that's very very easy....

Room: typical HK hotel room, verry small but enough for two big luggage....bathroom was clean and enough spaces, no bathtube. Room carpet was clean. The Window is small facing the street and hospital/school besides...

Staff: the doorman, bellboy, security, and the frontdesk, they are nice and very helpfull.....

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

We are pleased to note that you had a pleasant stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you to The Cityview for your next visit to Hong Kong.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

This is my 3rd stay at Cityview and I am seriously considering if I should change the choice of hotel for my next HK trip. This time I stayed in the deluxe room which is slightly bigger. However the bed is really hard and it gets more uncomfortable as the air vents are located right at the side of the bed and keeps blowing freezing air into your face throughout the night. There is no way for us to down turn the strength and we had set it at the lowest. With no choice, I turn off the aircon. Luckily HK was still enjoying pretty cool weather and so the room still feels ok with no ac.
I like the hotel because of its location. It is surrounded by shops and the MTR station is just across from the hotel. Cabs are also easy to find and the airport express makes a stop right atvthe hotel lobby. The restaurant, City Cafe, serves a pretty good value buffet for guests (20% discount for in house guests). Guests can also make use of the gym and pool facilities at the YMCA. For HK the cityview provides a good value alternative if your main mission in HK is to shop and eat and you rarely stay in your room.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank HappyFeet25

Thank you for your compliments on our hotel great location and the good selection of breakfast buffet. Your valuable comments concerning the hard bed and the air vents in the room has been carefully noted.
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you to The Cityview soon.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Located in Kowloon section of Hong Kong with convenient access to public transportation; subway is down the block and buses on adjacent street.
If you like shopping for top of the line watches and jewelry than you are in an ideal location.
The hotel staff speaks English and is friendly. The restaurants serve great food at reasonable prices, including limited western food.
The hotel room was tiny; the two of us had difficulty finding space for our three suitcases. Room may sufficient for a single traveler. The bathtub/shower is raised about 12-inch above the floor and required a few acrobatic step to get in and out safely.
Big fault with the hotel was the high cost of WiFi, however McDonald’s down the street is offering free WiFi.
Overall it’s just an OK hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bernard J

Thank you for your compliments on our hotel great location and friendly services. Your valuable comments concerning the tiny room and charges apply for using internet has been carefully noted. Kindly visit our hotel website for your next reservation to enjoy free wifi services.
Thank you once again of your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you soon.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

My experience at this hotel is a very mixed bag. The location was fantastic with MTR Yau Ma Tei station just around the corner, a supermarket across the road, Nathan Road within a few paces and Temple Street Market a street away. There are heaps of restaurants of varying budget within walking distance including local fare with English menus such as Ming Yuen Noodle Restaurant and Ocean Empire Food Shop. The airport bus A21, with English and Chinese announcements for each stop and relevant hotels, stops within half-a-minute's walk away.

In terms of service I cannot fault the staff. They were polite, knowledgeable and always ready with a smile.

My only disappointment is with the room itself. It was hobbit-sized. We were 2 adults in a Superior room with a single luggage each and were constantly stepping over them to move around. I know that hotel rooms in Hong Kong are small generally, and I have visited several times before, but this was exceptionally small. Don't move too fast in the bathroom either or you'll hit something. On top of that the condition of the room and bathroom was highly unsatisfactory. The carpet looks in need of replacement, or at least a wash. The shower had mouldy grout and screen and the sealants around all wet areas could do with a complete replacement. At the end of a long day of exploration I'd like to return to a clean room where I can relax, not watch where I put my feet and elbows.

For all its good points I won't choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank gjabba
TheCityview, Front Office Manager at The Cityview Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

It is with sincere regret that I note your dissatisfaction of the dirty room and the old and mouldy bathroom. Your valuable comments regarding the dirty carpet also has been carefully noted by our Executive Housekeeper.
On the other hand, we are pleased to know your particularly value of our hotel great location and your kind comments towards our service teams have been passed on to them.
Thank you once again and we hope you will give us the opportunity of welcoming you again to The Cityview.