“Good location, good room”

Gateway Hotel Hong Kong
Ranked #36 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Nashville, TN
“Good location, good room”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Gateway. The staff was very friendly and the room was very comfortable. I faced a little trouble with the fact that the room had a door to the adjoining room and I could hear a screaming child in the middle of the one night... but that didn't happen much. I had the room service one night and found it to be good. The breakfast in the morning was a very wide selection. The location, as well, is very good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
philippines
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Strategically located at the heart it tsim sha tsui, perfect hotel for shoppers and diners. It has its own mall access to the ocean terminal mall, silvercord mall and gateway shops. Nice amenities, newly renovated spacious room. Very tasteful interiors. Very pleasant and accommodating staffs. if going to macau, the ferry terminal sits next door.Cant ask for more!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I just want to say that I have been staying at the Marco Polo Hong Kong and Marco Polo gateway hotels for the past 13 years and every time I go there they just get better. The Marco Polo Gateway is currently under renovation but this has not changed my experiences there. I was there last week and the staff as usual were amazing. They are all so happy and friendly. It just shows how good the Marco Polo chain is. Their employee's seem to all be there for many years and they only move on when they are promoted within the company. The staff really get to know you and make me feel like I'm going back to visit family. Keep up the good work and I hope to see you next month!

Room Tip: The club rooms are great value. You really get great food and drinks int he club, which can save you...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We have been spending my mother's birthday in Hong Kong since the 80's. We have been staying in this property since the early nineties. It used to be the omni hotels before and now Marco Polo Hotels.

I was pleasantly pleased to see that the renovations have finally transformed the hotel. The lobby is much nicer now, although a bigger seating or waiting area is still necessary for the guests awaiting check in. The Registration process is still a little tedious and time consuming as it is every year. Hopefully, they find a solution to this.

We stayed on the 10th floor and I was extremely happy that the rooms and the bathrooms have already been renovated. When we stayed last year and the year before that,I can only assume that my asthma was triggered by the old carpets and drapes. I highly doubt it was because of the renovations then as their renovations are still ongoing and I did not contract Asthma during this trip.

I was also surprised to see a welcome fruit basket as we never got any despite all our years of staying in this hotel. I actually find it odd that they have never noticed our big group staying in their hotel yearly. We book at least 10 rooms with them. Now that the kids are getting bigger, we booked 13 rooms this year. We have never gotten any perks or loyalty discounts or any of that sort. I guess that 's typical of a big hotel chain?

Last year, my brother complained and brought to their attention that we have been staying in their hotel every year for my mother's birthday and our parent's wedding anniversary and yet did not receive a card or a cake or even a welcome basket. And so, last year was the only time, but also because of my brother's insistence that we received a cake and an upgrade to the club floor for my mother's room. This year, was the same. We received an upgrade for my mother and two cakes as we were celebrating multiple birthdays. Although primarily the trip is for my mother, because we are a big family, there were 3 birthdays to celebrate. The 2 cakes came with a card also. We were very appreciative and happy that they did this for us.

With regard to service, I only have nice words to say. Their housekeeping staff are all very friendly and helpful even if they aren't fluent in English. They always greet you with a smile. They are very accommodating and trustworthy. The concierge is also very helpful and accommodating. In fact, an incident happened this year where we had forgotten our code for the safe. Housekeeping came and helped us. She called the duty manager and she opened the safe for us easily. Se was extremely friendly and gracious as I profusely apologized. I felt utterly stupid! My son then informed her that it was his birthday and that he was 6 years old that day. She greeted him and asked him how we were going to celebrate. She asked me what time we would be back in the room. A first, I found it a bit odd that she was asking. She then quietly told me that a cake for my son would be waiting in our room. I was really grateful and touched by the gesture.

To prove that they are trustworthy, another incident happened last year where we left behind a watch and a bracelet, both of which belonged to my husband. I sent an email via the hotel website and also called the hotel directly. I spoke to Mr. Franco Cheng, and was informed that they indeed had the said items and were surrendered to them by the housekeeping staff assigned to our room. I had also corresponded with Mr. Brian Chow and Mr. Lee Kam Ho about the said items and they were sent to me via mail. I received both items in good condition. Just shows how impeccable their service is. Thank you again sirs!

All in all it is a very good hotel to stay in as everything you need and want is just a stones throw away from the hotel. MTR is also very near the hotel. There are also many places to eat in and around the hotel in varying budgets to choose from. Even the ferries to Macao are accessible from the hotel. The bus for the airport express also stops in front of the Marco Polo hotel complex. Those with children will be happy to note that Toys R Us is still located at the basement area of Harbour City.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Hong Kong accommodations are not necessarily budget-friendly as they used to be due to the booming tourism market from mainland China, but all I can say is that you get what you pay for with Gateway Hotel. Incredibly spacious rooms, well-stocked amenities, helpful staff and the fresh new renovations make it even more worth your money. One of the best things about this hotel is that it is attached to the Gateway Arcade and Harbour City: you're close to supermarkets, food courts, shopping and Tsim Sha Tsui station which serves as a convenient hub to get around Hong Kong.

Room Tip: If possible, book very well in advance of your preferred vacation period. This hotel is almost alwa...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lorbeer321
quezOn_philippines
Reviewed August 9, 2013

been in this hotel around February, 2003 or 2004 with a friend...we check in at this hotel because we thought that its nice but we were disappointed...the front desk was nice but not accomodating...not that big and grand lobby as we have expected...but our main disappointment is the room...the furnishings are already outdated-the beds, the side tables, the CR everything in the room...but the soap that they provide for me smells soo nice..i like the smell very like and not overpowering...i heard now that the hotel has undergone a major renovation which is definitely a must already during our stay...hopefully i can come again here to check the changes :) but the hotels location is definitely a nice factor...very much near the shopping mall actually the hotel is connected to the Harbour City mall...very near also to the Macau ferry station...sad to say i don't have our pictures already for you to see what i mean regarding the furnishings...all my pics in this hotel lost when we've been hit by typhoon Ondoy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Obviously it is newly renovated cos it still smells so new! I am impressed with the customer service I got from the counter to the bell boy to the concierge. Room isn't very big but good enough to have a cosy rest. The bathroom is definitely more outstanding than the room; it is huge and has everything needed all in one! The shower n bath are separated, generous with amenities.
The best of this hotel is the location when the ferry terminal is just within walking distance, u r in the middle of the shopping district. Wonderful stay, I enjoyed so much.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business