“Spectacular view”

Renaissance Hong Kong Harbour View Hotel
Ranked #29 of 716 Hotels in Hong Kong
“Spectacular view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

We got a room overlooking the convention center with a bird's view profile of a spaceship and the harbor. From across the harbor, we could view the best part of Kowloon. The hotel is centrally located and one can get to most places in less than 10 minutes by taxi. The breakfast buffet has a huge international selections but I would skip the Chinese foods there.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room looking over the harbor. The view is spectacular.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (731)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

If you have to attend an event at HK Convention and Exhibition Centre, then look no further. Just book a room here and you will be delighted by the convenience and all. You will be the one with the sharpest attire as you are fresh from your room, unlike someone who took the MTR and walked from Wan Chai Station to HKCEC (personal experience from some months ago). You can also return to your room in the afternoon for a quick refresh if you feel you need that.

Will I stay here again? Certainly, next time I have business at HKCEC. But for other purposes I think Hong Kong has a lot more options for me to experiment with.

My stay at Renaissance Harbour View was during the New Year holidays. We booked two harbour view rooms with the hope of catching a glimpse of the fireworks the easy way (without having to battle with the crowd). One of the rooms we were given was on the 23rd floor and faced HKCEC squarely (northern direction) while the other one (mine) was a corner room on the 37th floor looking towards the northeast. Obviously mine had a better view of the harbour bend but it would have been of no good where fireworks were concerned as they are usually centered right in front of HKCEC. We chose to camp out at my friends' room for the countdown and were all rewarded with spectacular, unobstructed view of the fireworks (see enclosed pic). However, I would recommend the Intercontinental Hotel by the harbour on Kowloon side for this purpose. Our fireworks photographs lack the iconic Hong Kong Island buildings as the background. This will not be the situation for people watching the fireworks on the Kowloon side.

Unlike other recent reviewers, I have mostly positive experience with hotel staff. The ones I talked to were quite helpful and generous with their response to my tourist questions. I would give them high score for that.

Room Tip: I was given a corner room facing northeasterly direction and the view was great. For anyone hoping t...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ruckdee
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

We spent a long weekend with Grandma and kids (3 and 5). We requested two adjoining rooms and got them. Even though reservation was under my name (booked through marriott.com), they accepted my husband's Marriott rewards number, upgraded our room and let us use the lounge. Breakfast, tea and dinner were all included. Selection was not as spectacular as other buffets, but that's only because we're in HK and they have THE best buffets. Overall, food selection exceeded our expectations. We also got a bottle of champagne and octopus card in each room, and each kid got a backpack full of toys and M&M's.

Some minor nuisances were that the TV in our room didn't work. Champagne was not chilled and they only provided one champagne flute. Double beds connected, but kept sliding away from each other, so kids kept falling through crack. Bathroom is not very private.

We had lunch at the restaurant on the first floor and food was decent, but service was terrible. We asked for ice water 10 times (we kept count) and didn't get it until we were ready to leave. I would not recommend the restaurant unless you are desperate.

The hotel location is convenient if you're attending an event at the convention center. Everything else is a taxi or MTR ride away. Not a big deal, but I wish there had been a grocery store nearby.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

The location is definitely great for this hotel..just a few minutes walk from the MTR and it is all sheltered!!Rain or shine is not a problem and the access is direct to the hotel lobby!!
For the room wise it is clean, and i would consider the room as spacious as in Hong Kong standard!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

We had stayed here for 3 days, we got really nice room and we really love and enjoy it ...
The staff are friendly, very helpful and efficient. The location is good too and they have nice coffee shop in lobby. I would love to stay there again !!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rabbit C
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

We spent 4 days in HK for vac by staying in Renaissance Harbour View Hotel for 3 nites. We chose that hotel for its location and well-known brand of Marriot. Yep... the location is really good..5 mins walk to the merto station, only one stop away from Causeway bay...
However the service is really unfortunate, starting from my check in experience. I still remember the receptionist name, Sarah..She spent 30 mins for checking in me and my friend (only 2 rooms with room rate fully prepaid). During the whole process, she didn't check with us anything in terms of Bedding size, smoking, non-smoking, preference, floor arrangement and etc. Until I asked why she didnt' tell us anything about our room, she just gave me simply reply that "Because you didn't ask me!". Besides that, I found that they feel really normal treating Chinese and Foreign guests in very different way. I am a hotelier in Shanghai too, so that feel really disappointed they did such a bad service to us. I think the hotel management really need to treat this seriously.. No Bellman for luggage assitance, cool face from the female chief con with golden key.
But at the same time, I also noticed that some of their male receptionist (Fresh man I guess) were really nice and treat every guest the same. Still remember the touch moment he (I cannot recall the name) went out from front desk, showing direction to a little boy on map.
Again, I don't want to complain too much, this is actually not my purpose... But think about the morden city of HK, Hotel Service need to be really on the top as well... Thanks...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank SuperLilyli
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

Renaissance Harbour View is a very good hotel, as you would expect in the Renaissance chain.
The staff are always friendly, very helpful and efficient.
The hotel has a good cocktail bar and several restaurants, if you want to stay in after an exhausting day.
One of the places to look out for is the Waterfall Bar and Restaurant on the 11th floor - not well advertised or easy to find, but just follow the signs even though it does look as though you are being led to a dead end. The restaurant is outside, wonderful on the many warm evenings you get in Hong kong.
The views are great if you can get a room overlooking the harbour.
It is very well located to get around the island, you can walk out of the hotel and be in the Wan Chai district. Lots of bars and night life if that is your choice.
It is also just across the harbour from Tsim Sha Tsui and Kowloon. The star ferry to take you there is just a couple of minutes from the hotel and the ferry ride itself only costs a couple of HK dollars.
Try to travel at the back of the ferry both ways as you can get great views of both Hong Kong Island and Kowloon as you travel away from them.
One of the Hong Kong subway stations is in part of the same building complex (but you aren't aware of any noise from it) so convenient to zip around the island on the subway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors (26th + are best) overlooking the harbour. Fantastic views, even...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business