“cockroach in room”

Ranked #29 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Singapore, Singapore
“cockroach in room”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

There was a cockroach in my room! I normally dont care, but the attitude of the staff left me appalled and therefore I decided to warn other travellers on trip advisor. Attached the cockroach with my hotel room key for your reference.

I had checked in at 11pm and asked if it was alright if I check out at 2pm instead of usually 12 noon. Check-in staff claimed that they are fully booked and therefore unable to accomodate. The following morning when I was checking out of the room, I asked the counter staff again, this time they are able to accomodate but I had already packed all my belongings and therefore chose not to unpack.

Staff's reply on the cockroach "I will feedback to the manager".... then she continues to process my checkout.

Room Tip: Nice room layout and view (if you got a high floor)
2 Thank EddarwinSG

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (734)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Check in was very average, I had a third party pay for my room on a back-charge (business CC) but the hotel had not had it approved at that stage so I was left with taking cash out to secure the first night otherwise I would have been left out on the street. The back charge was approved the next day but that whole experience left me a little flat. Stayed five nights in a club room $4100HK a night. I have been in much better club rooms at a 1/4 of the price elsewhere. I would only stay here for business, wouldn't pay for the room out of my own pocket. Wan Chi can be a bit of a bugger to get in and out off in a Taxi so if you have to go anywhere try the MRT. The WiFi was terrible. Very hard to pick good locations to get it to work.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Renaissance harbour View in Hong Kong is a nice business and holiday hotel as it is a good location for both.
There are great facilities for business (business centre, transport, etc) and nice pool and fitness centre. The concierge is really helpful and will go out of their way to assist. The front desk can be a little "robotic" which isn't welcoming when you've just got off a plane on an overnight trip but they are efficient. Room Service is very efficient and the in room dining is prompt, even if the menu is limited.
Pricing reflects all of the above and is mid range to help the back pocket.
In summary though, I would stay again as it serves my needs on business and would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: If you check out and would like to shower before leaving the walk from the lobby to the health centr...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Renaissance Harbour View was a great facility in a great location but what made the stay memorable was the world class service. I would certainly recommend this to anyone visiting HK and would not hesitate to stay there again.

We felt that it was good value to upgrade to the harbourview room -- the executive club level was fantastic (delicious breakfast with an abundance of choice as well as great cocktail hour service). The pool facility was much bigger than expected. What stood out as well was the fact that I received a surprise birthday cake and we had not notified the hotel about my birthday!

Thanks Renaissance for making our stay unforgettable.

Room Tip: go for the harbourview room!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

The location is very good as it is just a 5 minutes walk to Wan Chai subway station. The hotel is next to Convention Centre. There are a lot of restaurants and bars in Wan Chai district, too.

The service of front desk is really bad as I checked in. The staff ask.ed me for the deposit payment but didn't explain the details. When I asked for details and she told me that the deposit is not a must if I don't use the minibar. So that I chose not to pay for the deposit but she showed a unhappy face to me.

One more thing, the room is really small.

South of England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

The Harbour View is a very nice hotel in a great location and the harbour view rooms offer a simply stunning view. The hotel is in continual refurbishment and different floors have slightly different standards of furnishing and finish. Rooms are really designed for one person and are a bit tight for two. We were really looking forward to returning having last stayed here 7 years ago. However, the big issue we had was with the current mattresses. Throughout the hotel they now use Orthopaedic "open coil" mattresses on sprung divan sets. They are covered with a feather & down mattress topper. These open coil mattresses are popular in the hospitality industry because they have steel edges that withstand people continuously sitting on them and they are lower cost than pocket sprung mattresses. However, if you're used to sleeping on a pocket sprung mattress, they are extremely firm, causing pressure points and very bouncy if there are two of you in the bed. We found it impossible to get a good nights sleep on this bed. We had previously stayed at the Novotel Century in Hong Kong (down the road) and found the bed there to be supremely comfortable. Complaining at the Harbour View didn't help...the entire hotel is equipped with the same mattresses! A real pity - this spoilt what would otherwise have been a good stay, but we did not sleep well. I really would expect a hotel of this standard to be equipped with higher quality beds that offer more comfort than this. This has been a big learning experience for us. Do not expect the most expensive hotels to have the most expensive or most comfortable beds - check in advance.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

This is a huge hotel but managed in such a way that it feels uncrowded. We had a room on the 37th floor overlooking the harbor and Kowloon, could not fault the room or the view. We had paid extra for access to the Club Lounge (on the 40th) which we felt was money well spent, it entitles you to free breakfast, all day tea & coffee, afternoon tea with sandwiches & cakes then in the evening 17.30 - 19.30, drinks and more nibbles some of which are hot. This floor also has great views.
The hotel also has a number of restaurants. We ate in the Dynasty restaurant, we found the menu confusing - it was in English but the various combinations on offer made it hard to follow. The room itself was huge and there was a high level of noise from other diners. We waited 30 minutes from ordering our food until it arrived at the table, we had BBQ pork & chicken, spare ribs with rice and noodles most of which was warm but not hot. The staff did not seem to understand lactose intolerance despite the menu telling you to inform them of any allergies.
Our second meal was in Cafe Renaissance, we had taken the precaution of visiting earlier in the day to check the menu and book a table. When we arrived to eat that evening it was a buffet meal, no sign of the menu we had been shown earlier! After explaining our earlier research a menu was produced and the meal was good. Message to the hotel is, why not make your menus available to view on the hotel channel on the in-room televisions and also explain what events take place in the restaurants on certain nights.
Our best meal by far was served at the poolside cafe, the pool area is fantastic with plenty of comfortable sun beds, the staff are very attentive and will bring food to either the sun bed or you can sit at nearby tables.
There are plenty of elevated walkways connecting the hotel to shopping centers, subway station (Wan Chi) and the Wan Chi Star Ferry terminal)
Overall we liked the hotel a lot, it was the last of 3 on our trip and, despite my comments about the restaurants it was certainly the best,

Room Tip: Wifi is free in public areas.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple