“Good value for money but beware.”
Review of Park Guest House

Park Guest House
Ranked #361 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Good value for money but beware.”
Reviewed June 8, 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights. The location is good but initially when I stepped off the bus from the airport I was harrased by lots of people trying to stay at their hotel/guest house. There are many other guest houses in the Chung King Mansion. There was a long queue to use the lift and the ground floor was full of dodgey looking people but they never seemed to bother me.
I stayed in a single room which was the smallest room i've ever been in, I had to climb over my bag to get into bed and you could literally have a shower sat on the toilet.
The room was cheap though and spotlessly clean so it did the job and I wasn't in my room other than to sleep.
Whilst I was staying here I overheard a falling out between another guest and the owner. Apparently a door had fallen off which they said was broken before but she insisted on blaming them. In the end the police were called and the guests had to pay up. To me it seemed as though they were paying for repairs.......if you do stay here report any problems at the beginiing of your stay so you can't be blamed later!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank tigger82

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 9, 2011

I stayed in Park Guest House for a night (3rd May) before continuing my travel plans to China. I was scheduled to return to HK to stay in Park Guest House for 2 more nights (6th & 7th May) after returning from China. Upon check-in, we were ushered into Hollywood Guest House instead of Park Guest House with no Internet access, and extremely noisy construction work on a Sat noon. The owner' Fillipino maid immediately returned us HKD680 when we wanted to call the police. I decided to stay in another Guest House on the same level with no construction noise at price HKD220 a night. On that same night, this demanding owner from Park Guest House came to quarrel with the worker from the neighbor guest house and even hit him. Despite giving the owner verbal prior notice 2 days in advance, that I am staying only a night, instead of 2 nights she wanted to charge me HKD1,030 for both nights. She took advantage of the situation as she has confirmation on paper that booking was made for 2 nights. Eventually a police report was made against Park Guest House to safe-guard my interest as I did not stayed with Park Guest House on the 2 nights. Although Park Guest House is indeed one of the more popular Guest House, with clean rooms. However charges is over-priced for HKD680 a night as their neighbor guest house is only charging HKD220 with the same cleanliness. It was overall an unpleasant experience with Park Guest House and definately not value for money.

Room Tip: Try boutique hotels for the price charged by Park
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank SingaporeanGuest

Travelers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed April 30, 2011

The rooms are very very small. They already look small in the pictures, but the pictures are misleading - they are even smaller. The double bed is a big single bed. The washrooms including the shower are at the size of an airplane's washroom. There is no separate place to shower - there is just a hose near the toilet. Two people cannot walk in the room at the same time. The elevator is extremely slow, and there is usually a long queue to it. Rooms are clean. Book this hostel only if you are a broke backpacker who is not willing to spend a few extra dollars for a better place.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
7 Thank Birk_11
County Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 26, 2011

Chunking Mansion is crazy, not for everyone. Ground Floor when you go in first is mental, people trying to sell you things and bring you to hotels. I would not advise doing that, if you are going to stay make sure to check it online first as there are definitely some dodgy people around.

We were on the1 5th floor, clean and tiled corridor. Rooms are incredibly small, we had a twin room as there was no doubles available at the time. Very overpriced for what you get. Room was clean and bathroom minuscule. I'm 5ft 3 and had to really bend to brush my teeth in the sink.

Fine place if you just want to sleep, you could not spend any amount of time in there, very claustrophobic. The lift is not that bad and security guards and cameras there. Did not feel overly safe but definitely not as bad as I expected.

Good Location though. Looked better than a lot of other places in Chunking.

In conclusion expect the worst and you may be slightly surprised.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Etravers2
world
Reviewed April 14, 2011

Run by a chinese lady who seems to hold the entire booking system in her head rather than on paper, this place was a pleasant surprise for me. The room I had was tiny, but at about 34 USD per night that compared favourably to hundreds of dollars in the holiday inn right next door... The location is perfect for Tsim Sha Tsui, a busy kowloon nightlife area.

The room was clean. The water was hot. There was an ensuite bathroom with provided shampoo and soap. There was a TV and airconditioning. There's *no* space - luggage goes under the bed. There's no view from the window (well, it opened into a ventilation shaft, which is kinda hard to describe until you've seen it)

I saw into a double room, and that was more spacious and had a window view.

Chung King Mansions is a bit intense in general, and I can easily see how that would be too much for some people - I probably wouldn't put my mother there, for example - its busy, there are touts on the door trying to sell you all sorts when you get in, the elevator is almost always crowded in a subway-at-rush-hour way.

However, once you get down to the ground level and step outside, you're literally in the heart of TST where there is all sorts going on.

I've stayed in three or four places in kowloon before, and this one is definitely the winner.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 6, 2011

A Chinese lady attended to us. It's hard to comprehend her english. But we managed through it. The room shocked me. When I read it was small I really didn't think it's be THAT SMALL. but for a vacation where you only shower and sleep, you don't need big rooms, right? Double bed on the left, side table straight ahead and small toilet to my right. You keep your things under the bed. You don't need aircon cos the weather is cold enough. My partner and I agreed that this room was not so bad afterall. It was clean. Security was good. Lift waiting problem was, urm, manageable. For HK$380, it's OK since the location is so close to everything you want in TST.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Cebu Philippines
Reviewed March 30, 2011

My 3 companions stayed there for 2 nights. Location wise its accesible to MTR & bus, just a little walk to avenue of stars where we watch symphony of lights. The room is clean, bathroom & linen. I have heard noisy neighbor. Its a good choice, been travelling to SG, not like in HK, accomodation much cheaper
They offered distilled water too, just bring a tumbler, you just refill all you like. The room service is a fellow Pinay, we spoke the same dialect...=)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends