“Bad service”
Review of Ivan The Kozak - CLOSED

Ivan The Kozak
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
Description: Ivan The Kozak has been serving the best Eastern European Cuisine in Hong Kong since 2001. This family-run restaurant serves authentic Russian and Ukrainian cuisine, complemented by an extensive selection of rare vodkas and wines imported directly from Eastern Europe.
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Okay, so we ordered soups and a salad. It was pretty good I must say. However, we were not very hungry at the time and just wanted to go food tasting- and we ordered few things, of course, filling our stomachs wasn't our purpose. The person who served us, very likely the owner, seemed ok at first pretty much checking us out in an intimidating way. When the time for the bill came and we thanked him he simply snobbed at us and turned back giving the 5 dollar change as if we were a bunch of poor people who couldnt afford his food. Oh lord, hospitality missing at its fullest! Really made me feel bad and mad at the person. I wouldn't ever go again even if I crave for a $1000 caviar. And yeah. the smell was distinctly awful and uncomfortable.

1  Thank Mikhail456

Reviewed October 10, 2013

The reviews on TripAdvisor put us off and we did consider cancelling however so glad we didn;t. The reviews are wrong- this place is seriously good- best soup(green borsch) that I have ever had, starters and main dishes excellent. Friendly, excellent staff, fanstatic volkda. I love this place- recommened highly!!!

2  Thank fibiScotland
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We were looking for a place to have dinner in Mid-Levels ( a super busy, happening hip area in Hong Kong, especially on the weekends) and stumbled upon a " Ivan the Kozak" sign. I was skeptical at first ( I'm Russian, and haven't had good luck finding good home-style cooking outside of Russia ( like my grandmother used to make it:)) but decided to give it a try.
The restaurant was super busy, we didn't have a reservation but the owner was very accommodating
As soon as a saw the menu - I wanted to have everything on it, but it would be physically impossible to eat everything on the menu , so we ended up having a few traditional appetizers, salads and soups. The food was fantastic so was the service.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

We enjoyed the meal we had there and I have been back. The lamb shank was what I had it was excellent. The decor is unusual for a restaurant in HK - good if you like rustic look and do not need a very modern decor - and the ice room is an added bonus. The service was fine and the food and atmosphere were also fine. I would go back a third time.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Been there to try a Russian experience . Well the ambient is really post comunist (smell of mold included) and the food gave me also the truly impression to be back in one of my trips in the former USSR many years ago . To be honest I do not think that the cousine in those countries is close to my personal idea of "eating well" but this is , again , a personal view . On the other hand I had the right feeling and I think they made an effort to try to recreate the Russian athmosphere here in HK . For the ones who loves Russian and Ukranian food , this is the place . And you pay for what you get .

3  Thank Padrino-65