“Almost Perfect” 4 of 5 bubbles

Barcelona, Spain
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Almost Perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

Went there on TripAdvisors's advice and proximity to where I stay. I had beer, edamame, organic tofu salad, gyoza, teriyaki chicken with a bowl of steamed rice, and salmon chizuke (yes I overate). Food was delicious and almost authentic: in Japan gyoza never comes with pieces of green salad, on the other hand they would serve sesame oil with it. This alone would not have prevented me from giving the place a full 5 points, but it was compounded by two things. I went there a bit late, 45min before closing, 15min before last order, and even so, I don't appreciate it so much if the staff start to tidy up and prepare for next day, including walking through the place with full trash bins and removing the soy sauce from my table while I'm eating. Also I don't like a fix service charge of 10% added to the bill, in my understanding a service charge is a discretionary amount I pay related to how happy I have been with the service. Other than these (relatively) minor points food was excellent, the rice perfect, the beer inc. the glass chilled, staff very friendly and attentive, nice interior with distinct japanese touch. Highly recommended.

• Visited April 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong
“Great local Japanese with varied menu and good prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

We love this friendly local Kennedy Town restaurant. Sashimi quality is very good , there's a wide range of sushi and Yakitori plus a killer black cod with miso sauce although you can keep the incongruous dollop of mayonnaise that comes with it.
Atmosphere has a good buzz and staff are pretty good regularly topping up green tea fur example. Highly recommended

1 Thank maisbrough
Hong Kong, China
“Favourite Japanese in Hong Kong”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

It was by pure fluke that I stumbled across this little gem in Kennedy Town.

Ooanmi is by far my favourite Japanese in Hong Kong. Why? Because it's menu is diverse, the food is excellent and the prices are thankfully very reasonable. There's two ends of the Japanese scale in Hong Kong - there's the Yo-Sushi type which is cheap sushi on a conveyer belt, or there's the Zuma type which eats up all your dining-out savings in one fell swoop! Oonami is the antithetisis of a happy medium except you get the brilliant food to go with it.

The ambience is not casual nor is it stiff. There's a real local feel to it giving the Japanese vibe more credibility. Staff are very attentive, in fact they operate a radio-in-ear system so that they can constantly communicate to each other.

I go to Oonami at least once a month and it's something that I look forward to with the same excitement every time !

• Visited July 2011