“Very nice food but cramped”
Review of Shui Hu Ju - CLOSED

Shui Hu Ju
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Food here was very good. Large servings and a big choice of spicy dishes.

Service also was quite good and they were very helpful with explaining menu choices,

Major downside is that it is very cramped. A large party arrived to take up a table for 8 next to me. The end table was so close to mine that I had trouble getting between their table and mine when it was time to leave.

Reviewed April 7, 2012

I went to Shui Hu Ju tonight with my fiance and my parents. My fiance has been here many times with friends and colleagues and I have been here 3-4 times with her. It WAS one of her favorite restaurants. Service never stood out as good but tonight's service was just ridiculously horrible...I have never written a restaurant review before but i'm compelled to write my first one because I'm so annoyed right now...

So we get to the middle of our meal...waiting for the rest of the meal to come...nothing does...we ask the waiter when the rest of our food will be coming and he says soon so we keep waiting. After another 15 minutes (a total wait of probably 30 minutes), a waitress comes and tries to clear the table. We tell her that we are still waiting for more food. She says no...we told her we ordered more food. She apparently forgot the rest of our order and brings the menu and asks us to re-order. We were a little upset and told her to forget it and just bring us the check. She brings over the check and the check had what we ordered on it! We tell her to just delete it from the check...she takes it back and bring it over again and guess what, the missing item was STILL on the check. We were obviously annoyed. To add insult to injury, the wait staff's attitude just pissed me off. No one came out to apologize and on our way out, the wait staff that congregated at the front desk didn't even say good bye.

Anyway, we won't be coming back...won't be recommending it to friends...there are too many good restaurants

3  Thank g z
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We read several good reviews and decided to give it a try. Even without reservations (which were recommended) we were seated without much trouble. The dimly lit dining room creates a romantic atmosphere. The menu is varied and the presentation of the dishes is lovely. Be warned, some of the Sichuan items are very spicy but the staff will let you know before ordering. The vegetable dishes were quite flavorful, especially the blanched green beans with garlic. The soft shell crab dish was also very tasty and not heavy despite the fried nature of the crabs. Worth the visit even if it is a bit hard to find at first glance since the sign is only in Chinese. Look for the two red lanterns beside the doorway. (see photo)

3  Thank Andy C
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We went to Shui Hu Ju because we had read good things, and the food and ambiance lived up to our expectations. The dimly lit, rustic Chinese décor was inviting and the food was delicious. We started with the pork dumplings, which were every bit as tasty as we’d expected. The deep fried lamb shanks were tender, juicy, and fell right off the bone. The chili chicken was also good, but a pain to pick apart because of all the bones. Really good all around!

Read more and see photos at:
www.thetattooedtraveler.com

1  Thank thetattooedtraveler
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Went there for dinner with a friend. We had shredded duck with cucumber salat as a starter and ordered afterwards 3 main dishes for the two of us. The tenderloin angus beef with onions was fabulous, the szechuan squid was very spicy was delicious and the spicy fish was not as spicy and good as well.
The price was 1200 HKD and more then worth going there.

1  Thank MStuker