“Italian, but what kind?”
Review of Angelini

Angelini
Ranked #87 of 8,734 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Tsim Sha Tsui
Perth, Australia
“Italian, but what kind?”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I have been going to Angelini for six years, usually three times a year (when I am in Hong Kong). So I DO like it it. But something funny is happening, The views remain the same of course -- delightful across the harbour. The service is soothing and friendly. The wine list impossible to understand unless you are an Italian; but who cares, the staff can always find me something I like. The food on the other hand? The appetisers each year become better, and more appetising: they are usualyy brilliant. Scallops with orange sauce last time was terrific, for example. Sophisticated and delightful. The mains, by contrast are on a neandathal trajectory: bigger and bigger slabs of meat without finesse or interest, beyond their sumo like calorie count. Does this place have two kitchens? The mains belong in an (expensive!!) US burger bar, while the rest of the menu belongs where it is: at an otherwise really nice Italian eatery! I commented on the size of the mains to the chef -- he could not have cared less. Maybe because we were not doing the six course fixed menu? Puzzling! (By the way, after six years, do they remember me? No, of course not.)

• Visited November 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Warsaw, Poland
“Great Italian place”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I tried this restaurant as a part of my stay in Shangri-La Kowloon. Italian chef is making miracles. Pasta with lbster was exceptional. The wine śelection too.

Visited November 2012
england
“great restaraunt”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

we were celebrating a special birthday and they really madeit a special night for us cant wait to go back

Visited October 2012
2 Thank jazzyengland
Hong Kong
“Outstanding New Chef!”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

My wife and I had the distinct pleasure of dining at Angelini last week. They recently appointed a new award winning chef, Marco Madaglia, who was lured away from Aqua Roma which is also in Hong Kong.

The dinner could not have been better! I started with the signature appetizer of Seared Scallops on Tallegio Cream and Truffle Caviar and my wife, a vegetarian, had the Buffalo Mozzarella and Fresh Tomato Coulis. Both were outstanding! The Seared Scallops may now be my favorite dish in Hong Kong. For a second course, my wife had Ravioli stuffed with Pumpkin and I had the Ravioli Pasta stuffed with Lobster Mousse. Both excellent!! For my main course I had a grilled tenderloin cooked to perfection and my wife had a grilled vegetable dish. We were very impressed with both! The service was exceptional and the view of Victoria Harbor very special.

I read many mediocre reviews of Angelini but none of them are recent. Since the appointment of Chef Madaglia in the recent weeks I would expect nothing but outstanding reviews from this point forward. I suspect a high Michelin rating will be in their future.

Bravo!

• Visited July 2012
4 Thank pm2307
paris
“Super view on Hong-Kong Victoria Harbour”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We had a dinner with friends who booked a private room with a stunning view on the HK harbour. Very impressive indeed!
The food was quite good but not incredible.
Until now, my very best experience of food in HK is l'atelier Robuchon.
If you go to this place, you must absolutely choose a table with the view. It could be a very romantic experience.

• Visited June 2012