“A burnt dish and odd bill”

Wu Kong Shanghai Restaurant
Ranked #166 of 9,408 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Tsim Sha Tsui
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I chose this restaurant based on reviews here and was willing to wait 10 minutes for a table for 1 to become available. The place was lively and busy and as a result I will forgive them for taking a long time to take my order. The menu was interesting and varied. I chose the half fish in Sweet and Sour sauce and a noodle dish (Shanghai Noodles Ra Mein ?). The fish was ok, cooked reasonably well and then coated in a sticky sweet and sour sauce. It was not bad and alone then I may have scored this place 3 stars. The noodle dish, however, tasted of burnt oil, meaning the wok cooking it was far too hot - a very clumsy mistake by the chef and one he should have realised straight away.

Next problem was the bill. On arriving at your table they our you tea and place down snakage, both of which you are then charged for. Now I as going to drink tea anyhow, but the other is just pure blatant piss taking, and seeming to be common practice around here now. These of course appeared on the bill along with the fish, noodles and service. Now in my head, having read 15 HKD for the tea and guessing 10HKD for the nuts, I estimated my bill would be around 250 HKD including the 10% service charge, so I as very surprised when it came to over 290 - all I can think is they put another dish on the bill instead of the noodles - being written in Cantonese I could not tell.

Would I go back there - no not a chance and I would suggest others think twice. Perhaps it was good and has just gone down hill in recent times as most the reviews here are from 2 years back.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

The best meal I had in HK and the cheapest!!!
Make reservations as it easily gets full and the place is not huge. The entrance is along Peking Road but quite small so you might miss it. It's very near the corner of Nathan Rd and Peking Rd. The place is nothing fancy, simple and clean.
The service is good and quick. Most of them do not speak english so call the attention of the ones in suits if you have questions on the menu.
We ordered the xiao long bao (dim sum with soup inside), spring onion cake (this is savory -- more like a baked pasty with sauteed spring onions inside), taro puff, vegetables in bean curd, crispy chicken with chili and chicken fried rice. Everything was excellent! The good thing is that the menu had photos so it was easier to order.
Their servings size is ok but we were only two and wanted to try several dishes so we ended up leaving a lot of stuff. The six dishes would have been good for 4 people.
I will definitely come back when in HK!

Reviewed January 17, 2014

This is a busy, loud restaurant with high traffic so it is not for the faint hearted. The Shanghainese dishes are very authentic and are concisely delicious. We always try a few new dishes whenever we eat here, but I am so lucky to be accompanied by local experts who both check on authenticity (they rate it very highly) and introduce delicious dishes to me that I would never have chosen if alone. I have been coming here for years, and have never had a bad meal.. Service is a little stressful for those who don't know Hong Kong.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Nothing special and now that most of the Cantonese restaurant can prepare Shanghainese just as good. Place is dirty, noisy, crowde, not a pleasant place to eat.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We were looking for somewhere a bit less touristy in Kowloon and came across this place. I think we were the only western people in there. It was very busy when we arrived and we had to wait for a table so I would recommend booking, but as we were in no rush it wasn't a problem for us to wait. Had some really good Dim Sum followed by several other dishes that were equally as good. Pretty good value for Hong Kong and the locals eat there which is normally a good sign!

1  Thank RPS4930