“A great group dinner!”

Ranked #179 of 10,368 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Tsim Sha Tsui
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

We just got home from a wonderful dinner at Wu Kong! After having some bad experiences with food in HK I did some research and found this restaurant to have some good reviews! We met lovely friends here tonight and enjoyed so many wonderful dishes including dumplings, spring onion cakes, broad beans and of course a half a crispy duck! We drank red wine and whiskey and the staff were loud, abrupt but very attentive! It was a true HK food experience, we enjoyed every dish, the company and the service all for a very reasonable price! I would definitely recommend this wonderful noisy traditional restaurant!

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Located in the basement of the building, the scenery is modern and nice. The service is of very good standard and the food very delicious, I feel I had a good time.

1  Thank Samuel B
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We arrived down the stairs to a loud chatty buzz, went to the maître d and asked for a table for 2 and we were told to wait, we waited about 10-15 mins then we were taken to our table deep into the restaurant. Immediately given chinese tea and we looked through our menus. We waited a while to order and had to get someone's attention so that we could place the order, there are lots of ladies going around delivering food but none who can take orders.

Eventually when we placed our order the food was bought out at different times, we had more or less finished a dish as one came out, we did enjoy the food but found it to be very similar to an English Chinese restaurant not an authentic middle of Hong Kong Chinese, but to be honest it was nice to have a taste of home after days of eating more local foods.

When we paid the waiter bought the change over slowly and then stood over us and didn't move which made my husband feel awkward, basically making us fell like we should leave all the change, more expensive than most of the local restaurants but less than half the price of the 5* hotels surrounding it.

I would say the restaurant held 200 diners to which we were the only non chinese, we would not return as the service did not feel personal at all and we felt rushed and not very welcome.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We discovered this little gem shortly after arriving in Hong Kong. We wanted a restaurant located close to the hotel as were very hungry after our flight from Sydney. We checked into the Holiday Inn - superb (see my review) - and simply crossed the street - it is located in a basement and I think we may have been the only tourists there that night. It is packed with locals - great sign!!!! We waited perhaps 10-15 minutes for a table but was well worth it. The atmosphere was buzzy and verybusy but we didn't have to wait to be served. Not all of the staff speak English, however most understood our requests or were happy to direct another staff member over to assist. In all honesty I don't think you go for the service the food is absolutely delicious- we dined on duck, chicken and cashew nuts, the best fluffy rice and spring rolls, 4 beers, 2 soft drinks and I think the bill was about $70 to $80 Australian dollars for 4 people. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank jacstar351
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Seemed like we'd barely closed the menus and the food was arriving.... and they couldn't get us out fast enough. Apart from the dumplings which were excellent, the rest of the food was ordinary - not special at all and pretty bland. Duck was way overcooked, dry and almost inedible. And expensive. We ate at a number of lower-profile but much better establishments.

Been to Wu Kong Shanghai Restaurant? Share your experiences!