“Excellent choice”

The Pawn by Tom Aikens
Ranked #375 of 10,368 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Wan Chai / Causeway Bay
Description: Housed in old "Tong Lau" style shophouses dating back to 1888 and serving as a staple of Wan Chai dining & nightlife for 6 great years, The Pawn prides itself in retaining heritage value in an eclectic setting. Always a place for a casual cocktail or comforting meal, 2014 sees The Pawn's evolution and relaunch in collaboration with celebrity chef Tom Aikens.
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Great place to start the night in a "party area". Great food and ambience. It has a nice balcony to eat outside if is not too cold.

1  Thank Kikeuribe

Reviewed March 25, 2014

We went here for a drink after a trip to the peak. Good happy hour prices...$50 HKD and nice atmosphere...busy but not so loud that you couldn't carry on a conversation. Seating left a bit to be desired...backless low stools and a sofa whose springs had seen much better days.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

This was recommended to us. We went on a Monday night, with no reservation. We were accommodated quickly. There is a limited choice menu, however, this is adequate. Only disappointment was the risotto which lacking seasoning (what would Michel Roux say). Otherwise an excellent meal. Went back again later in the week and had the lamb, very tasty.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

My partner pushed me up the stairs to The Pawn which she had identified as gaining recent good reviews.

I am not sure what is at street level but on the Saturday evening we visited you could easily have missed the (dimly lit) doorway to a dimly lit narrow staircase leading to "the bar". I needed alcohol.

Upstairs opens to a bar and many seating options including an outdoor terrace. We were fortunate to spot a free sofa lounge. The rooms, there are three, are quite dimly lit which gives a good ambience and a sanitised version of house music (a 65 year olds description) played and although bearable it was loud enough to make conversation within any group difficult.

When we arrived The Pawn had tables but about two hours later you had a wait to be seated.

The drinks list included a good selection of wines by the glass (I thought the prices were reasonable) and other beverages including draught beer.

We had a couple of appetizers which were tasty with adequate portions. We actually had the "fish and chip" option which I could not find fault with. The accompanying aioli was freshly made, light and delicious.

I couldn't agree with the other reviewers on this specific aspect. BUT I have had some ordinary fare in English pubs??

The staff were pleasant whilst busy and attentive.

We enjoyed our visit and whilst the music isn't on my "playlist" it won't keep us from investigating The Pawn again.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Maybe two stars is harsh but this restaurant really failed to live up to expectations. The standard of British food is (strangely) poor in Hong Kong and unfortunately the Pawn promises much more than it delivers. My guest had fish and chips. It may be that using Lemon Sole is the problem but the crunchy and fairly tasty batter overwhelmed a thin and dry piece of fish. The chips were similarly uninspiring, appearing to be of the forzen variety. There were no "mushy peas". Roast Beef on Sunday was not much better. The Yorkshire pudding was good, but three centimetre thick cuts of tough and overcooked (and dry again) beef made me ask myself if the chef had ever had a roast "dinner" in England. Beef should be served thinly sliced and (unless otherwise requested) a reddy pink. And a true roast dinner should celebrate the roast potato and vegetables. The potatoes served here were like suateed potatoes...all in all this was a very poor attempt at British cuisine. And let's face it, these are about the only two dishes that British cuisine can boast about.

Other things about the Pawn are good. It has a nice atmosphere, outdoor seating, nice little British snacks etc.. But if you are looking for authentic British cuisine or even good pub grub, then you will be disappointed.