“Just What the Doctor Ordered.”

The Pawn by Tom Aikens
Ranked #182 of 7,917 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Contemporary
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Wan Chai / Causeway Bay
Description: Housed in old "Tong Lau" style shophouses dating back to 1888 and serving as a staple of Wan Chai dining & nightlife for 6 great years, The Pawn prides itself in retaining heritage value in an eclectic setting. Always a place for a casual cocktail or comforting meal, 2014 sees The Pawn's evolution and relaunch in collaboration with celebrity chef Tom Aikens.
Sydney
“Just What the Doctor Ordered.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

it is possible to eat too much dim sum...

So, we hunted this out, again multiple review sights pointed us to this colonial building in Wan Chai. It was almost too cool for us but i'd 'wardrobed up' in some faaaashion stores so i think we pulled it off.

Any way, enough about me/us. me.

We started by being greeted on the first floor by professional lovely staff. We sat out on the balcony over looking the street and we're bamboozled by and awesome list of cocktails. I had some kind spicy chilli margarita hybrid - perfect. Then upstairs to a great restaurant for English - modern English fare. Wagu Ox tongue Terrine. Venison Osso Bucco (?) Wagu Steak, Simple vegetables that i was desperate for without any sauces etc super tasty. And a great bottle of Argentine Malbec.

And although my mantra is 'sugar is death' we even indulged in a stunning version of Eton Mess.

It's not cheap but it's fresh, tasty, dimly lit and a real experience all in one building.

I was in HK for 2 weeks on business, you will yearn for a non chinese meal at some stage and i'd recommend a visit to The Pawn - unless you're a Gordon Gecko type, in that case you'd probably want to talk loudly and show off elsewhere.

• Visited January 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“Great place for dinner in Wan Chai”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

The Pawn is always on my list for a relaxing solo dinner or evening out with visitors to the city. The historic building itself is a charming example of colonial Hong Kong and the bar is always busy.

The service can be a bit erratic in the evening if you are out of sight on the balcony, but the view of Wan Chai 'on the move' more than makes up for it. It's great to be outside people watching, although on a humid evening visitors may feel more comfortable inside. I've always enjoyed the menu and never been disappointed with the choice or the dishes themselves. I've also been for cocktails with friends and the bar snacks were very appetizing.

The only visit which fell short of expectations was Sunday lunch, where for reasons outside our control we booked a time quite late in the session and were not forewarned that the kitchen was soon to close. The seafood starter and dessert were excellent but the traditional roast, especially the sides, was below usual standards and staff were soon clearing and closing up around us. This was a largely a communication problem at the time of booking and certainly not enough to put me off returning on many occasions.

• Visited May 2013
Singapore, Singapore
“one of my worst meals in HK to date”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

This building is historical and looks great. Decor also looks fabulous. But its a bit too dark for my liking.

I came here because sometime back it was recommended by one of the TV channels Li. So I considered giving it a try.

Its one of the worst meals I had in HK, sad to say. It could be a great bar. But the food aint any good. It took a good 20 minutes to get my meal. And the service was not attentive and sometimes you cannot find a service staff to attend to your needs. They always seem to be busy. But at the same time, there are guys in suits standing around but not doing anything to help out.

When I got my meal, I did not finish the food. And I still felt hungry despite paying a lot for this meal.

I ordered the pork roast with apples, the pork was so dry, it was virtually difficult to bite into.

Nevertheless, we left with empty stomachs.

Visited April 2013
Irthlingborough, United Kingdom
“Christmas Eve & New Year's Eve”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

On Christmas Eve we visited the Pawn Restaurant for Christmas dinner with our son and daughter-in-law who live in China, and we had a really nice meal and an extremely good time. So much so that there and then we decided to book for their New Year's Eve Party, where they had a jazz band, disco and canapes and breakfast bites, plus all drinks included. We had an absolutely brilliant night, we all thoroughly enjoyed the night, and mixed well with other guests, and all were there to have fun and enjoy, which was brilliant for such a night,

• Visited December 2013
“Brunch at The Pawn”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

This is a really great location for something to eat in Wan Chai.

The building is an old colonial building that has been sensitively restored.

Went for brunch and sat on the balcony, overlooking Johnston Road, with great views on a lovely Sunday morning.

Food was great, but almost cold and having to pay 40HKD for two mushrooms was to say the least a bit steep. I have eaten here several times before, but will probably go to one of the other great locations in HK for Sunday brunch.

• Visited January 2014