“Ming Court - great Chinese restaurant”
Review of Ming Court

Ming Court
Ranked #139 of 8,531 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mong Kok
New York City, New York
“Ming Court - great Chinese restaurant”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Given Mongkok's Chinatown vibe, I didn't stay at Langham Place. This is a review of an on-site Chinese restaurant, Ming Court. In general, food quality in HK is very high, but very often it comes with a hefty price tag. Lunch at Ming Court is reasonably priced. It’s a classy restaurant with generous portions. Chefs manage to sustain traditional Chinese cuisine with a wide array of menu options.

I walked in on a weekday without a reservation. They were fully booked but kindly took me in at 2:00 PM. I had a lunch set menu at HK$398+10% (Chinese tea was not included and cost an additional HK$25). I had braised abalone soup with shiitake, a selection of dim sum (3 pieces), sautéed garoupa with black fungus and white lily, fried rice and red bean soup (served in this order). A serving of dim sum here ranges between HK$50 and HK$100, and a serving of soup starts from HK$100. I figure I would spend at HK$200+10% if I just order two plates of dim sum and soup. It makes more sense to order lunch set menu.

For sure, I would go to Ming Court again next time I visit HK. I’m glad to have spent HK$470 on culinary art --- a movable feast that will stay with me after I left HK. Mostly importantly, it didn’t make a dent on my pocket…

• Visited December 2013

• Thai first
Auckland, New Zealand
“2 stars?!”
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Having read many positive reviews of this restaurant, I booked dinner for our anniversary during a week long trip to Hong Kong. I really wanted this meal to be great, but unfortunately we were both disappointed. The menu was so large we chose the tasting menu. The only dish that really stood out was the dessert (mango and sago)... The atmosphere was quite nice, the service was good but I really don't see what all the fuss is about.

Singapore, Singapore
“Not the best 2 Michelin star Chinese restaurant in HK”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Atmosphere: Modern contemporary looking Chinese restaurant. Located at Langham Hotel in Mongkok. If you eat in the main dining area, there is a lot of space between tables. They also have private rooms, I will think those need booking.

Service: Excellent. I do think they are a bit short on staff. There were only two waiters in the entire main dining area. But despite the main dining area being fully occupied, waiters were still great and patient and they can converse in Mandarin and English. I think the front of house did a good job, the tables look very neat and tidy, can't even see a single crease. Everything on the table looks clean and proper.

If I only have time to visit one 2 michelin star restaurant, this would not be my choice. The food here looks the nicest, the food was good but it did not wow me and I feel that its too expensive.

They gave us the free cold dish starter which is very nice. Its cold rice noodles cooked and chilled to perfection.

The teapot chicken consomme was nice and sweet but it was not special.

The duck ravioli, duck consomme dish had a layer of tofu that was set into the bottom of the plate as a surprise. It was a nice surprise but the tofu did not give much taste. Maybe if there was less tofu and more amount of duck ravioli, it will balance the flavors. The duck ravioli was pretty good, it tasted like foie gras. But the duck consomme was just average. Individual portions of the dish was nice, when put it was put together, it was just ok.

We also had a fish dish which I cant remember the exact name but it was amazing. The fish texture was the softest fried fish I ate so far. And great presentation as well.

Crispy chicken is just average.

Visited January 2013
Singapore, Singapore
“Very lovey Dim Sum”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Tried their appetizer "Dragon Quartet" and I loved it, one of the best starters in a Chinese restaurant. Ming court also serves up very tasty Dim Sum, especially like the Siew Mai, pork dumplings with foie gras and crabmeat xiao long bao. Also tried a few dishes served with Kurobuta pork. Wait staff is also very friendly and attentive. I must say, I had a very good dinning experience at the Ming Court.

Visited November 2013
EU
“Should be stripped of both Michelin stars”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I had big expectations when booking at Ming Court. Especially because of the 2 Michelin stars it boasts with, but also because of reading reviews of it.

It wasn't only the food which determined the rating.
I've been to other Michelin starred restaurants which proved unworthy of their stars for me in terms of food, but at least they maintained certain standards in some other important aspects of their business.

And now to begin...

- they accepted (for dinner) clients dressed in short pants, beach slippers (!!!) or gym pants and sweaters. The overall clientele level was pretty low, people picking their noses, literally shouting, using their mobile phones to play loud music videos and films... A "colourful" and noisy mob, better suited for a fast food venue @ your local mall.

- they left the used wet towels brought when we arrived for cleaning our hands, on the table, for the entire duration of our stay.

- there was a considerably thick layer of dust on the glass shelves placed around the central area.

- the wine list, presented in electronic format, seemed interesting in the beginning, only to discover that only our 4th option was actually available. Good wine though, good value too.

- after returning a dish almost untouched, nobody asked the reason for this (it was the duck with mango, which tasted like smoked ham).

- the food was under flavoured, almost bland occasionally, but also not very expensive. We had the 4 appetizer dragon "something" dish (2/5), sweet&sour pork (3/5) not bad but I had better in several other less awarded places, the signature pork ribs with oyster sauce (4/5), very tender but a bit under flavoured, the duck with mango, which was awful, and minced wagyu with tangerine flavor (3/5), could taste neither wagyu nor tangerines, but it was OK. Skipped desert and couldn't wait to leave asap. Good espresso though.

- the temperature was freezing cold in the restaurant.

Michelin should consider stripping Ming Court of its stars, and fast! This place is definitely not Michelin star material. Not by far!

Soon I will post a review of the 3 starred cantonese in Hong Kong. I really hope that one is better.

• Visited November 2013