I had big expectations when booking at Ming Court. Especially because of the 2 Michelin stars it boasts with, but also because of reading reviews of it.
It wasn't only the food which determined the rating.
I've been to other Michelin starred restaurants which proved unworthy of their stars for me in terms of food, but at least they maintained certain standards in some other important aspects of their business.
And now to begin...
- they accepted (for dinner) clients dressed in short pants, beach slippers (!!!) or gym pants and sweaters. The overall clientele level was pretty low, people picking their noses, literally shouting, using their mobile phones to play loud music videos and films... A "colourful" and noisy mob, better suited for a fast food venue @ your local mall.
- they left the used wet towels brought when we arrived for cleaning our hands, on the table, for the entire duration of our stay.
- there was a considerably thick layer of dust on the glass shelves placed around the central area.
- the wine list, presented in electronic format, seemed interesting in the beginning, only to discover that only our 4th option was actually available. Good wine though, good value too.
- after returning a dish almost untouched, nobody asked the reason for this (it was the duck with mango, which tasted like smoked ham).
- the food was under flavoured, almost bland occasionally, but also not very expensive. We had the 4 appetizer dragon "something" dish (2/5), sweet&sour pork (3/5) not bad but I had better in several other less awarded places, the signature pork ribs with oyster sauce (4/5), very tender but a bit under flavoured, the duck with mango, which was awful, and minced wagyu with tangerine flavor (3/5), could taste neither wagyu nor tangerines, but it was OK. Skipped desert and couldn't wait to leave asap. Good espresso though.
- the temperature was freezing cold in the restaurant.
Michelin should consider stripping Ming Court of its stars, and fast! This place is definitely not Michelin star material. Not by far!
Soon I will post a review of the 3 starred cantonese in Hong Kong. I really hope that one is better.