“Best Modern Cantonese Food”
Review of Ming Court

Ming Court
Ranked #158 of 9,408 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mong Kok
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Ming Court has become my first choice when we want Cantonese food for special occasions and dinner with customers. Very neat and top quality. My fave is the baked crab meat with cheese. Their tofu served with truffle is also excellent. And dont miss the glutinous rice dumplings, the best i hv ever tasted in hk. Simply delicious!

1  Thank wynsum

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Had lunch at the Ming Court whilst staying at the Langham Place hotel. We opted for lunch as it is a less expensive option and I'd say it was good value. Nice range of food on the set lunch menu - dim sum, soup, rice. I was actually so full I couldn't finish the rice. The quality was good and I tried things I possibly wouldn't normally have chosen from a menu. One member of staff was excellent in explaining the dishes, another struggled to provide any details in English. Everyone was courteous and prompt though. My colleague is quite a foody and he also enjoyed the variety, flavour and texture of the dishes. Nice lunch but I have to be honest and say I couldn't see how the stars were awarded. Tip for others... the dress, certainly on a weekday lunchtime, was very informal. Men in polo shirts, ladies in sundresses.

1  Thank HelenPM
Reviewed June 1, 2013

This two star Michelin restaurant serves Cantonese food that is nothing sort of spectacular! We had a special menu with wines matched to each course and I can't remember better or more innovative Cantonese dishes or better wine matches!

The sommelier is Zachary and he's a genius at food/wine matching and very knowledgeable about the history of Cantonese food. His explanations of the food style and how the style of Cantonese food came about added to our experience and you get an idea that all the staff here are truly passionate about what they do!

And of course the restaurant is in the beautiful Langham Place Hotel which does everything well!

A superb experience! (And make sure you visit the cellar and get Zachary talking about wines!)

1  Thank MishasVineyard
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My sister, niece and I lunched there on Sunday 26/05/2013 on the last day of my holiday visit to Hong Kong. We stayed in Langham Place hotel (which I'll also be reviewing) in which the Ming Court is located.

We had lunch reservation for 11:00am and arrived there about. The place was still quite empty when we arrived and shown to the table.

THE AMBIENCE
It's good. Relaxing and comforable. But certainly not overly impressive.
Ambience Rating : 3.5 of 5

THE SERVICE
We were seated and noticed there is only one menu on the table. No attempt was made by anyone of the not so busy serving staffs to bring us 2 more menu. We HAD TO ASK for more menu. Even then only one other (not two) menu was brought to us after a good 5 minutes wait. We can only conclude that menu must be a hard item to come by in the Ming Court.

After having to share perusing the 2 menu by 3 of us, we decided on the set lunch (for 3 persons).
A good 10-15 minutes had passed since we were first seated and still no one had enquired about our choice of tea and have it served.

It was only after I started to wonder aloud about how poor the service level was for a 2 Michelins that a "senior staff" approached our table with overwhelming friendliness to enquire if we have been served at all? Apparently he was not even "quite on top of things" in as far a the service status of each and every table under his charge.

Overall I feel the service level at the Ming Court is just NOT quite up to scratch for a 2 Michelins rating
Service Rating: 3 of 5

THE FOOD
Fine, well presented and very tasty.
But was disappointed with its food quality consistency, again this is in the context that it's rated 2 Michelins.

With one of the dishes served to me, one of the 2 slices of fish (stirred fried with vegetables) was NOT FULLY COOKED INSIDE. It was "rubbery" and "chewy" to bite on. The other slice on my dish and the ones served to my sister and niece are cooked right.

In my sister's dessert serving the is a grain of HARD UNCOOKED (red??)BEAN .
Food Rating: 4 of 5

In summary, I am puzzled with the Michelin people rating of 2.
In my mind it's more deserving of 1 Michelin and NOT 2.
I need to better educate myself in the Michelin people assessment, scoring and rating methodologies.

It's still very good value for money in as far as the quality and taste of their foods. Just not have high expectation on the service level. I shall return there to experience their dim sums specifically.

Kewlmeister
Sydney, Australia.

1  Thank kewlmeister
Reviewed May 23, 2013

There is a reason this restaurant has 2 Michelin stars. When the first course of steamed kale arrived with dry ice vapor pouring from the serving dishes we knew were in for a treat. The group reached for phones and cameras and snapped photos of the dish - and every subsequent dish served. This is a dining experience not to be missed if you are in Hong Kong and want truly exquisite Chinese dining. We were treated to a quick tour of the kitchen where it seemed dozens of chefs were carefully preparing each item with precision cuts to shape, drops of flavoursome sauces and topped with delicate dressing items.

The highlight dish for me was a pigeon curry matched with a glass of Gewurztraminer. Simply amazing. If you go there please ask Zachery - the very talented sommelier - to recommend some wines to match the dishes. He can find a wine to suit and dish and any palate.

1  Thank Anwil51

Been to Ming Court? Share your experiences!