“Great location, friendly staff, bonus happy hour!”
Review of Ovolo Noho

Ovolo Noho
Ranked #35 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
“Great location, friendly staff, bonus happy hour!”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

This was my first trip to Hong Kong I and stayed at the Ovolo for a couple of nights. Great location, easy to walk to the ferry terminals, Soho neighbourhood or the Peak Tram and the fabulous views of Victoria Peak. The Ovolo is a modern funky hotel with helpful friendly staff. The 2 hour happy hour each evening with free food and drink is definitely a bonus!

They have free wifi both in the hotel and out and about in the city you can use. I had a problem with my phone while I was there and they were great lending me their iPad so I could catch up on my emails. The room was small but as a solo traveller this was no problem for me. It was really well set up though with everything you need. I found the free backpack bag supplied a useful extra too.

The only small gripe I have is that a couple the spots on the floor had something spilled on them and this was not cleaned up while I was there, so had to do it myself. The floors and ledge around the bed need to be cleaned better. Other than that it was a great place to stay and I would definitely recommend the Ovolo.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Marie D,

Many thanks for your positive and constructive review. We value our guests’ feedback and please accept my apologies for cleanliness of the room.

We have taken big steps to improve such through difference training. We hope that we will see you again with us. Please feel free to contact myself direct on gigitse@ovologroup.com.

Gigi Tse,
Ovolo 286 Queen's Road

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Just loved this hotel...small room but this was part of the charm...space very well utilised and there was no compromise on quality...great TV, bedding, shower amazing. Also loved the quirkiness...the loot bag of treats and the little messages. Also lots of things included...a free minibar, breakfast and drinks and snacks 6-8pm and great toiletries, free toothbrushes, paste and mouthwash.

Brilliant and good location in central.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tony and Sarah G,

It is great to see such a wonderful review as yours. Thank you very much for your very kind words. We are delighted to see that your stay with us was perfect for you and we hope to see you back again with us very soon.

Gigi Tse,
arkansas
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Quick weekend stay for me. Wanted to be in Central so I could easily wander and do some shopping. Friends who travel from China on weekends recommended Ovolo. I was thrilled to find something under $190 U.S.. Small room but nicely decorated and clean. It was my crash pad and was perfect as a single traveler. Enjoyed the complimentary breakfast and evening happy hour in the lobby before going out. Plan to stay again on another weekend trip. It could be tight if you are traveling as a couple...you would want to inquire about a larger room.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear ArizonaRoute66,

Many thanks for your feedback and I am personally glad to see you enjoyed your time with us.
We hope to see you back again in the very near future!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I recently stayed at the Ovolo Hotel during a long weekend in HK. The location of the hotel was perfect with easy access to SoHo, Central, and Lan Kwai Fong. The amenities at the hotel are outstanding, including free wi-fi, free breakfast, free happy hour, free mini bar, and free guest laundry. Please be advised - the rooms are small. This is not a business traveller hotel. Two of us in a room was cosy, but we were comfortable. We did have to rearrange our luggage frequently due to limited space, but this was a minor hassle given the other perks of the hotel. The bath room was clean and there is a proper, rain-type shower. I would definitely consider staying in this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Manila
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My family and I stayed in Ovolo Hotel at 286 Queen's Road Central for a week during our family reunion trip in Hong Kong and to celebrate a special occasion. We were all very impressed with the hotel and especially with their staff.

The rooms are quite small, but as mentioned in other reviews, this is to be expected in Hong Kong. However, they were all impeccably clean and the beds were very comfortable. I'm quite particular about cleanliness, and the rooms at Ovolo did not disappoint! Each room is also provided with a goodie bag with snacks and chocolates. In addition, the drinks in the refrigerator are all free and are replenished daily. The hotel also provides a useful sling bag that you could keep, or take with you for use when going shopping. These thoughtful little things were a nice touch and made us feel very welcome. Oh, and don't forget to read the labels and messages! You'll see that the hotel staff has quite a sense of humor.

Now, let's talk about common dining area / lounge at the 2nd floor. This was probably our favorite part of the hotel! We spent so much time here hanging out, having coffee and snacks while waiting for other family members to come down from their rooms. There are comfy sofas and bar stools around tables where guests could sit and chat. Complimentary coffee, tea, drinks and snacks are available all day. At happy hour every evening, alcoholic beverages, wines and spirits are served with even more snacks. This gives guests the chance to mingle and meet new friends. This is also the area where the complimentary breakfast is served daily. This lounge is so comfortable, I hardly saw it empty. It made the hotel feel like a home away from home.

I'd also like to take the time to compliment the hotel staff. Each one we met was so professional, warm and helpful. I know that hotel staff are usually trained to be friendly, but there was a sincerity with the Ovolo staff that is usually missing from other hotel staff. You could clearly see that they were proud of the work that they were doing and proud of their hotel. (I would be, too!) Thank you so much to the staff for making our stay even more special!

In case you're one of the travelers for whom an internet connection is indispensable (just like my husband): wifi at the hotel is quite fast and is complimentary. Each room also comes equipped with Apple TV, which enables users to stream media from their Apple devices. We enjoyed playing around with this so much, we went out and bought one for ourselves.

Another advantage that the hotel has is its location. It's a short walk away from the Sheung Wan MTR station and it made getting around very convenient. I usually enjoy taking public transportation when I'm on vacation, so this was a big plus for me. However, it's also quite easy to hail a taxi from the hotel.

The hotel is also surrounded by restaurants and eateries to suit every budget. My family and I enjoyed sampling the choices from the area.

This was the first time we all stayed at Ovolo and we initially booked it because of the great reviews online. Now that we've stayed there and experienced it for ourselves, we understand why the reviews are as good as they are. We would love to stay here again on our next trip to Hong Kong and we would definitely recommend this hotel to our friends.

A big thank you, again, to the Ovolo staff! We hope to be back soon. :-)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank ina_alexandria
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We have spend three days in Ovolo on Queen's road in August 2013.

First of all, there are not too much more or less budget hotels in a HK island city center - and Ovolo chain is a nice exception. Ovolo on a Queen's road is just in 15 minutes walking distance from airport express - and half of that distance is in shopping centers or covered walkways. You can reach Escalator in 10 minutes - and there will be dozens of bars and restaurants.

Second, there is nice design hotel we are always trying to stay in but with differences.
There are some free features - like free minibar, free drinks in happy hours, free small backpack in a room, free gym and very funny design.

Room itself is not too large, but - like in a majority of that design boutique hotels - very good built, so you just didn't need all that free space. Try to stay higher - there will be less noise there, but first rooms are on 5th (as I remembered) - so it's not too big problem.

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Get a higher floor - less street noise there.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ovolo2home, Manager at Ovolo Noho, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear Rustem,

Thank you very much for choosing the Ovolo 286 QC during your recent trip to Hong Kong. Your positive comments on our services, features and locations were greatly appreciated. Your review will not only help improve the level of our services, it will also boost our team's spirits!

It would be a pleasure to have you stay with us again. We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back on your upcoming visits to Hong Kong.

Best regards,

Ovolo 286 Queen's Road Central
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The rooms are expertly designed, with a modern and high quality feel, and every last bit of space is used efficiently and effectively. The bathrooms are the high point with an excellent double shower, and quality complimentary toiletries.
On the subject of free stuff, the mini bar is stocked with juice, water and a couple of beers each day, a simple breakfast is served (fruit, bagels, cereals and pastries) and there are happy hour drinks from 6-8pm every night (read free self-serve bar).
But it does not stop there: there is free wifi in the rooms with AppleTV (hello chain hotels - wifi is a basic service in this day and age), and a bag of snacks in the room on arrival.
On arrival I also found a note in the room advising of possible noise from the renovation works in the ground floor cafe, with a packet of ear plugs and some chocolates to apologise for the inconvenience. In the event there was no disturbance.
All of this demonstrated an exquisite attention to detail that I have not seen in a hotel for a very long time.
As the title suggests the rooms are small: in fact they are tiny. I was staying in a twin with a friend and two suitcases and it was a constant dancing act as soon as both of us were out of our respective beds. This was not a massive problem for me - I was more than happy to lounge in bed whilst my friend made use of the floor space - but it may not be for everyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends