“Wonderful, would stay again”
Review of Ovolo Noho

Ovolo Noho
Ranked #36 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Perth, Australia
“Wonderful, would stay again”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We loved our stay at Ovolo – friendly & most helpful service from the security doorman to the breakfast room staff to the cleaners. Yes, it's small, but it's Hong Kong and everything is small – they fit a lot into the rooms and we didn't find this an issue at all for our 2 week stay. The laundry facility was awesome – I've had many holidays washing clothes in the bathroom sink!

Great breakfast every morning, free wifi and minibar was wonderful and the location is perfect to check out those amazing SOHO restaurants and boutiques. Very close to the Sheung Wan MTR station so easy to get everywhere. We arrived early after a long flight and they let us check in 4 hours early and also let us check out late on our leaving day which was much appreciated.

Consistently surprised and delighted and would definitely stay again. Thanks Ovolo!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I booked this hotel on a flash deal. I'd been looking at various hotel options in HK, but for this trip I wanted to stay on HK side. Suddenly there was a good flash deal for the Ovolo 286, so I decided to book it based on all the good reviews.

Location wise it is very good. It's walking distance to Central and very close to the Macau ferries. Also Hollywood road is just behind, and you have easy access to all the small streets in the area where you will find restaurants, galleries, bars and street vendors. There is a bus stop just near the hotel, and the MTR is not far.

The quality of the room fittings are very good. Especially impressive is the use of space. But this is necessary, as the room is tiny. We had two carry-on's and I'd hate to think what it would be like if we had two large suitcases. The bed(s) are are simply mattresses on a platform. The mattresses were thick and comfortable, but it did involve a bit of crawling if like me, you have the spot next to the window.

The IT factor is high, with decent free wifi in the room, Apple TV (did not try) and electrical outlets everywhere. Mildly stocked mini-bar, but it's free, as was a small welcome pack and canvas backpack style carry bag.

Breakfast is simple, but good. Except for the coffee, which was dismal. Resorted to tea for our 2nd and 3rd days.

I'd consider to stay here again if I was on a budget business trip alone and if I were again able to get a good deal. At the normal rates, there were hotels I'd have been happier with. Had I paid a fuller price on this trip, I'd admit I'd be less impressed, but at the price we paid, I thought it was good due to location and quality of the rooms.

If you stay here, try to get a high floor room, as street noise at the 7th floor was quite loud.

Tacoma, WA
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Ovolo. The rooms are VERY small, but that was expected. They are able to pack a lot into a small space. And, for the price and location, it was a very good deal. It was very clean and the bathroom shower worked great. When I first arrived, I had a bit of a panic because I could not find a closet anywhere. I finally looked up, WAY UP, to the ceiling. There is a clothes bar that you pull down with a handle to hang your clothes on. A bit inconvenient, but it works. The work area/desk is also extremely small. The lobby staff was very friendly, and available to help when I had questions. The O CAFE downstairs was also a pleasant surprise. I had a very tasty lunch there and breakfast too one morning. The Continental Breakfast provided by the hotel was fine (toast, bagels, very good muffins, cereal, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, and plentiful freshly made espresso), but I wanted a change one morning. I enjoyed a very nice omelet in the Cafe. I loved being able to get a fresh latte whenever as this was my first stop and jetlag was waking me up early each day. I would say the downstairs security guards seemed a bit off-putting to me. They were almost too stern, and I didn't quite feel welcome when I came in. I did like that the building itself was quite secure.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Unless you are single, have a carry-on suitcase only and are just passing through then perhaps this hotel could work for you. The in-room facilities are quite good but the room is positively tiny - think 1/2 the size of a typical Parisienne hotel room! It's essentially is a bed on a slightly elevated platform with a narrow desk against a wall and a bar stool. There is simply nowhere to move. Even though the initial booking via the website stated 'free cancellation' it was not. Their cancellation process is 48 hours so when we told them we would only stay one night, instead of the 3 we had booked, it was a debacle. We ended up paying a whopping $380AUD for the one night and left the next morning. Don't bother.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
ovolo2home, Manager at Ovolo Noho, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Vitsk,

Thank you sharing your experience at Ovolo 286 Queen’s Road Central on tripadvisor. I am sorry to read that your time with us was cut-short and not well served. We went over your review as a team and sincerely appreciate the feedback you provided.

We realize the rooms at our Queen’s Road hotel are on the small side but that’s why we design them smart and pack them with goodies to maximize the space so that everything you need is hopefully at your fingertips whenever you want it. We understand that this setup may not suitably accommodate every traveller and very much regret that it was a ‘deal breaker’ for you. Since you appeared to enjoy our freebies and facilities otherwise, I would highly recommend you consider our other Central HK hotel on Arbuthnot Road as the rooms are larger and only 2 to a floor. On the issue of being charged for leaving earlier than planned, we found that you booked a non-cancellable and refundable rate through an Online Travel Agent in order to benefit from a more discounted rate and we were hence unable to refund the difference.

Vitsk, Once more I would like to express our regret. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you'd like to discuss more about your stay with us. We love feedback, will improve our efforts, and hope you will give us the opportunity to do right by you in the future.

Best regards and many thanks for choosing Ovolo

Gigi Tse
Hotel Manager
Ovolo 286 Queen's Road Central
Hong Kong
Reviewed June 27, 2013

pos: classy, comfortable
pos: well organized, well managed
pos: near centre of Central, Hong Kong (about 5-7 mins walk)
pos: excellent, helpful staff
pos: excellent healthy breakfast in a convivial atmosphere
pos: reasonable price for HK

neutral: rooms really small.

neg: bit too much design, not enough practicality in the rooms: in particular, insufficient surfaces, eg shelves, small tables etc. So one ends up doing a lot of stuff on the floor and so breaking more things than normal.
neg: 2 lifts, uncoordinated, so people call both, both come to the floor, so lift service is slow for everyone.
neg: room fridge not v cold, so milk goes off. Temp cannot be adjusted.
neg: view of other buildings

special point: really a nice attitude to guests - one of the best I have come across in any hotel anywhere. For example, the mini-bar (soft drinks, juice, beer) is free. So different from hotels that make it a rip-off point.

stay again: absolutely

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank m c
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I cannot stop raving about this little gem hidden in Queen's Road Central. I've stayed in several hotels in Hong Kong and this is by far the best hotel experience i've had.

Beautifully designed, but the great thing about it is, it's design that works. Too often I've stayed in boutique hotels that are wonderfully designed, that practicality and function is often ignored in their aim to look pretty. Ovolo has found the right balance, and they know to compensate the small size of their rooms with tons of value added benefits.

Guest benefits are commonplace now, but Ovolo has really thought things through and instead of throwing freebies that guests might not even use, they've included little things that really make a difference.

The Loot bag, the little backpack, the branded amenities, the Apple TV and all-day access to the Lounge (Nespressos, a great selection of tea, drinks and snacks), a Laundry + Dryer area and fantastic Wifi speed, are all included in the reasonable room rate.

Location wise - its very accessible to the Sheung Wan MTR station which is only a few minutes walk away.

There's a few restaurants that I'd also highly recommend near the Hotel; La Rotisserie has a gorgeously decadent Chocolate Tart (you'll see this when you are on your way to the MTR station), and the Press Room (turn left as you leave the hotel, and go up the long flight of stairs at the junction to Hollywood Road - you'll come across it!)

I've definitely found my go-to hotel for any of my trips to Hong Kong, and I will not hesitate to recommend this to anyone looking for a great value.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
ovolo2home, Guest Relations Manager at Ovolo Noho, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Nitaya,

Thanks for posting such a great 5-star review of Ovolo to tripadvisor. I can't begin to describe how happy we all were going over your comments. A lot of thought and hard work goes into our designs and offerings to make us stand out, and when great guests like you note the little details it really means a lot. We really appreciate the restaurant picks, photos you took, and the fact that you would recommend us to your friends as well. Thank you!

To be named your 'go-to' hotel Hong Kong is a fantastic compliment. We will strive to stay in your A-list. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to hosting you in Hong Kong many more times again in the future.

Best Regards,
Marius Gamser
Guest Services Manager
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I loved Ovolo, from the welcome drink (we got there during happy hour) to the luggage being looked after on our last day. The room is incredibly well thought out (I loved the safe), immaculately clean, and the free mini-bar capped off the inviting nature of the place. Brekky was more than adequate - and there is plenty of good local eating nearby. Behind the hotel is the antiques market, the star ferry is a 20 minute walk or 10 minute double decker tram away, and the world's longest escalator is just up the road. We had a high floor and there was no noise from the street, or the room next door. I would very happily stay here again, and have discovered there are interconnecting rooms so next time we will bring the kids. Great place, great service, great location, great value.