“Bugs in the bed are a bad sign”
Review of Ovolo Noho

Ovolo Noho
Ranked #31 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

We found bugs in our bed our first day. Tiny little red crawly bugs all over. Management was very unapologetic and even had the nerve to blame us for the bugs in the bed ("did you turn off the air conditioning??"). While they did move our room, they did not show an ounce of remorse and never spoke of it to us again. Also the rooms are tiny. This is nothing more than a hostel with nice tvs. At least we had our own bathroom!!

• Stayed: May 2013
ovolo2home, Manager at Ovolo Noho, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear Josh N,

I want to tell you how concerned we all were at Ovolo to hear of your poor experience at 286 Queen’s Road Central. We take feedback of this nature seriously and had housekeeping perform a deep clean and a third party company review of the premises upon report. The 2 guests who have stayed in the very same room since your departure have reported no such incidences.

Upon alerting our team, you and your belongings were moved to another room immediately. Per your comment, this transition could have been handled with more grace and for this we are sincerely regretful. Our team know to always put guest welfare and comfort above all else. Sometimes circumstances conspire against us, and it is thanks to diligent guests such as yourself who keep us on task.

Thank you for posting your thoughts. Sorry things didn’t go well. We would very much like to make amends and host you in Hong Kong again.

Gigi Tse
Hotel Manager

There are newer reviews for Ovolo Noho

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Having spent the last 18 years travelling a lot to Asia, I have always stayed at Shangri La locations as I like the haven it provides. However, I just came across this absolute gem of a hotel - it's funky, cool, very functional with nice little bonuses with things like free mini bar restocked every day, and happy hour daily too in their chic lounge.
I have to say the room was more like a Japanese style with great use of a compact area. The free mini bar is a little thing but how many times have we all just wanted to grab a water or coke and then get charged an arm and a leg for the privilege?

Also as a power traveller as it were, I find it irritating when I can't find sockets near the bed to plug in laptop, iPad or phone - here, they have thought of that and there are sockets galore in smart places. Couple this with first class service and it has to be said, this is the only place I'll be staying in when in Hong Kong! - they have another location also in Central and I believe a few others in Hong Kong plus a place in Australia - give it a try, you'll be glad you did

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Dan E
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This small hotel is neat, clean and included all the extras unlike some others in HK. I stayed here twice in February 2013 and was pleasently suprised on both occasions. The Staff are very friendly and helpful, the hotel rooms are perfect for 1, cosy with 2 ppl.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank glenelsworth
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Compact rooms for sure but well laid out and comfortable. Free amenities, great location and helpful staff can't be beat for the price. Request for a later checkout was accommodated. When I return to Hong Kong I'll stay here again.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tamblers
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed here in early May 2013 - this is a boutique hotel with free everything (wifi, mini bar, gift bag, snacks, washing machines and dryers). The rooms have utilized their lack of space very well and leave you with a lot of space to live. There are also automatic curtains to cover the floor to ceiling windows. To be honest the bed is really just a matteress on a raised floor (same level as the minibar) but for me this added to the appeal so really is a personal preference.

The staff were all really youthful and liked to have fun at work which we found made our trip that much more enjoyable. There is always some form of food available in the common lounge area and they offer a free happy hour we didnt manage to use while we were staying here each night :(

The only issues we encountered were; the hot water in the shower would sometimes be hot and sometimes be freezing (I think it was from someone in another room also attempting to use the hot water at the same time) and the room did have a hair in the shower and an old bottle cap under the chair/bar in the room. Neither of which we felt were major issues and didnt complain to reception.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room on a higher floor (still hear some noise from the top floor # 24!) Don...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David R
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Spent 2 nights at the Ovolo while on a business trip. I had stayed in Kowloon the previous night and was looking for something in the Central district. After reading some of the reviews here about how great the hotel is I went ahead and booked a room sight unseen.

I knew that the rooms were on the small side but when I checked in I was not prepared for just how small they were. The room was just large enough to accommodate the bed- that's it! Honestly the closet in my house is larger than this room. I tried to get used to this but after 2 nights I could not, and because of that I would not stay here again.

I don't require a huge hotel room everywhere I go, but it is nice to have a place to put your open suitcase. I ended up putting the suitcase on the bed, getting what I needed out of it and then zipping it back up and shoving it into a corner when I slept. Not enjoyable.

That is a shame because the rest of the hotel has so much going for it. As others here have said the location is great and you get a lot of things included with your stay- breakfast, wifi and most importantly open bar happy hour from 6-8 every night. This was a great time to have a drink and meet the other travelers. With only 60 rooms the place has a very small hotel feel and the staff really goes out of their way to accommodate you.

All in all it is a very well run hotel that is spoiled by the micro sized rooms. For me that was a deal breaker.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank David N
ovolo2home, Guest Relations Manager at Ovolo Noho, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear David,

Thank you posting your Ovolo experience on tripadvisor. We know the rooms at our Queen’s Road hotel are on the small side but that’s why we design them smart and pack them with goodies to maximize the space so that everything you need is hopefully at your fingertips whenever you want it. We understand that this setup may not suitably accommodate every traveler and sincerely regret that it spoiled what otherwise seemed to be a positive time.

I am truly sorry to read this room size was a ‘deal breaker’. Since you appeared to enjoy our signature freebies and service, I would highly recommend you consider our other Central HK hotel on Arbuthnot Road as the rooms are larger and only 2 to a floor.

Certainly would love the chance to make amends and impress you should Hong Kong be in your travel plans again. If you have any further questions or comments please feel free to contact me direct through our website.

Marius Gamser
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed May 1, 2013

a great boutique hotel in a great location, just a few minutes (and 50 stairs or so) to the SOHO and galleries area.
rooms are not very big but hey, this is hong kong.
breakfast was good with large variety and the perfect cup of coffee.
room is clean and comfy. free wifi, free minibar (!!), apple tv, great and very helpful staff are always around to assist. also has a gym and free laundry room with washing machines and driers.
3 rooms in each floor. middle room is a bit smaller than the other two.
got a taxi from the hotel to the airport for hkd 260 which was cheaper and easier than taking the train

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear yaronperil,

Thank you so much for the 5-star of Ovolo 286 Queen’s Road Central. It is great to read that you enjoyed the hotels location and all the complimentary services we had to offer. Our team enjoyed hosting you and would love the chance to do so again. Thank you!

Marius Gamser