“Small rooms but well decorated and in the Central district”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ovolo Noho

Ovolo Noho
Ranked #30 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Small rooms but well decorated and in the Central district”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

A good place to stay for a few nights, high tech rooms including Apple TV setup and modern interior. The hotel offers a gym, self laundry (excellent idea, much better then the outrageous laundry services some hotels charge), free breakfast, free wifi and a free happy hour. If you book well in advance you can get an interesting rate. Any drawbacks? Well i have to admit the room was really very small and the bed not particularly comfortable (a bit too short and hard). But for the money and location with the free amenities I have to say this is a good place when you need to stay in HK for a couple of days for business (or pleasure).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
ovolo2home, Guest Relations Manager at Ovolo Noho, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Travelefes,

Greetings from Ovolo.

Thanks so much for sharing your review on tripadvisor. Feedback such as yours certainly makes us feel proud of what we do. I am delighted that you appreciated the breadth of our signature all-inclusive services and freebies. They can add up to a great package and I am glad that you found it so valuable! Cheers for that! Our rooms are compact here (try other Ovolo for different configurations) but the bed should be to your satisfaction so we'll look into that and fix it.

Thanks again for choosing us and for taking the time to post here. We look forward to having you stay with us again at Ovolo.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

This centrally located hotel was spotless and was a great value. Don't worry about the small rooms, they work out fine, plus you can meet with colleagues in the (free) breakfast room that segues into the (free) happy hour lounge at the end of the day. Quiet and comfortable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SanFrancisco_CAChet
United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

This place is an awesome deal. The rooms are very small but extremely clean and have everything you could possibly need, including free snacks/ minibar, toothbrush and toothpaste, Apple TV, remote control shades/ blinds. Also, there is a free breakfast and free happy hour everyday and there is free laundry! Also, there's a gym. Would be great for business travelers or young couples.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wanderlust050
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

This is a good value hotel about a twenty minute walk from star ferry. Take the free shuttle bus from airport mtr to the Holiday Inn Express Soho and the hotel is just opposite the McDonald's! The rooms are small particularly for two people so be organised as there is little room to store suitcases and clothes. That said the little extras make the hotel a pleasant stay, the minibar, fast wifi, breakfast, snacks and drinks between 6-8 all make it worthwhile and good value.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank LuVandC
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

I loved Hongkong and loved the hustle and bustle of Kowloon. This hotel is in a good location and the rooms are good size and very clean. The value was ok not overly priced and the staff are always willing to assist me in places I wanted to visit. I would have thought shopping in Hongkong was cheap but to my amazement shopping here is not so cheap. Thank you to the beautiful young lady who always helped me in the placed I wanted to see and you were such good help and so informative.

Room Tip: Ask the staff anything you need about Hongkong as they know the place well
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank HelouE
ovolo2home, Guest Relations Manager at Ovolo Noho, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear HelouE,

Thank you so much for sharing your Ovolo experience on tripadvisor. We’re extremely grateful that you took the time out of your busy schedule to share this positive feedback, particularly of our service team. Hong Kong is a lovely, bustling city but it can be difficult to find your way around and it's great to read that we could assist you! I really appreciate it and know the team will as well when I share it with them. We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you are in town.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

This is by far the best hotel I have stayed at so far on my Southeast Asia travels. The place it designed so well, both functionally and aesthetically. Someone in other reviews mentioned that this place had tiny rooms. Yes that is true, but you are in hong kong and everything is so packed. You cant make large rooms and make a profit. Smaller rooms and more rooms. Anywyas, the rooms were perfect sized. I could place my bag down and still had plenty of room. The price I paid for this boutique hostel was well worth it, and crazy enough it was very affordable considering all the other hotels in Hong Kong. I would easily return here, and I have never said that about a hotel before.

Pros: there are quite a few.
- staff were very friendly and spoke very pod English
- free mini bar in your room which is replenished daily. Free breakfast which was actually quite good. And best part of all, free drinks (beers, wine, spirits, etc) in the lobby from 6pm to 8pm. Good place to wind down after walking all day.
- extra large towels, comfortable beds and soft pillows
- Apple TV and a flat screen
- location: close of a lot of great attractions. Easy walking distance. And close to the MTR which makes travelling around Hong Kong super easy.

Cons
- the fire alarm went off in the evening. Nothing serious though. And probably won't happen again to other guests.
- there was an issue with the hot water and pressure from the showers. On a positive note, they did slip me a message under my door saying things returned to normal. So however unconventional the shower issue was, they did perform good customer service.

Tip: coming from the airport - take the airport express train to Hong Kong station. Then use the free shuttle bus that takes you to the holiday inn (make sure to take the correct shuttle bus). Ovolo is literally a 1 min walk away. You know you are in the right direction when there is a McDonalds across the street to Ovolo. Alternatively, you could walk from Hong Kong station to ovolo. It's about 15 min.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank AdamCoffeeKicker
Dear Adam,

Wow! Thank you so much for writing such an enthusiastic review of Ovolo 286 Queen's Road Central! You really embraced the Ovolo concept of design and full features in intimate spaces with full force and we are delighted you thought it all good value. The perfect size for you - thanks so much! We'd love to host you in Hong Kong again. Give usa bell next time you book and we'll see if we can sort something special out for ya.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

This is my third stay in Ovolo 286 so I am able to compare my recent experience with previous visits I have made. The bijou compactness was no surprise and the City Queen room was fine for one guest. The space was brilliantly utilised and it was modern, clean and comfortable. Large flat screen with apple tv. Comfy bed. Nice toiletries and super hot rainwater shower. The goodies bag and complementary mini bar were in place. Housekeeping seemed to be a little amiss before my arrival - minor things such as missing toothbrush and paste, bath mat, and laundry bag were easily rectified though. And the additional lock did fall off my door. What I did find a little disappointing was that since my previous visits breakfast times had been shortened to end at 930am rather than 10am which meant that my friends missed breakfast. 930am is too soon to end breakfast at the weekend! The fruit cups offered at breakfast had been minimised. The wines on offer during the 6-8pm happy hour used to be lovely and indicative of good taste and selection. This was now reduced to a poor choice of Shiraz and an unappealing Reisling. The selection of snacks had been reduced - no more yummy olives and the cheese was no longer a self cut option. These may seem like minor nit-picking things but when you know that there are other just as nice boutique hotels round the corner in Soho nearer to many bars and restaurants then Ovolo should be fighting its corner hard and maintaining the appealing standards displayed soon after its opening. Why utilise the happy hour when the wine is of poor quality? The location is great (note - taxis cannot stop directly outside) the unlimited offer of hot (great Nespresso machine) and non alcoholic drinks in the lounge was a godsend after a busy day, free wi-fi, the staff pleasant and helpful (we were all given free late check out as it was quiet) and I would probably visit again especially if the price was super competitive. But I would urge management to review their choice of wines as that was one of the things we really enjoyed previously. Please do not let standards drop.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank KFPGMC
ovolo2home, Manager at Ovolo Noho, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear KFPGMC,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and thoughtful review of your experience at Ovolo 286 Queen’s Road Central. We appreciate your support and sincerely regret that, having brought your friends along for your third stay at Ovolo, we didn’t perform to the standards you correctly expect of us.

First I would like to apologize for the missing room items. We’ll fix that. Thank you for keeping us alert to our standards. On the breakfast and happy hour, let me just say how appreciative we are for your feedback. We’ll review our meal schedule so things will be better going forwards.

Thank you again for your valuable review. We very much want to, as you say, ‘fight our corner hard,’ to keep great guests like you returning to and recommending Ovolo. Please let me know next time you are stopping by and we’ll try and work something special up for you.

Guy Doo