“Awesome value” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #32 of 715 Hotels in Hong Kong
United States
“Awesome value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

This place is an awesome deal. The rooms are very small but extremely clean and have everything you could possibly need, including free snacks/ minibar, toothbrush and toothpaste, Apple TV, remote control shades/ blinds. Also, there is a free breakfast and free happy hour everyday and there is free laundry! Also, there's a gym. Would be great for business travelers or young couples.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wanderlust050

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

This is a good value hotel about a twenty minute walk from star ferry. Take the free shuttle bus from airport mtr to the Holiday Inn Express Soho and the hotel is just opposite the McDonald's! The rooms are small particularly for two people so be organised as there is little room to store suitcases and clothes. That said the little extras make the hotel a pleasant stay, the minibar, fast wifi, breakfast, snacks and drinks between 6-8 all make it worthwhile and good value.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank LuVandC
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

I loved Hongkong and loved the hustle and bustle of Kowloon. This hotel is in a good location and the rooms are good size and very clean. The value was ok not overly priced and the staff are always willing to assist me in places I wanted to visit. I would have thought shopping in Hongkong was cheap but to my amazement shopping here is not so cheap. Thank you to the beautiful young lady who always helped me in the placed I wanted to see and you were such good help and so informative.

Room Tip: Ask the staff anything you need about Hongkong as they know the place well
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank HelouE
ovolo2home, Guest Relations Manager at Ovolo Noho, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear HelouE,

Thank you so much for sharing your Ovolo experience on tripadvisor. We’re extremely grateful that you took the time out of your busy schedule to share this positive feedback, particularly of our service team. Hong Kong is a lovely, bustling city but it can be difficult to find your way around and it's great to read that we could assist you! I really appreciate it and know the team will as well when I share it with them. We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you are in town.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

This is by far the best hotel I have stayed at so far on my Southeast Asia travels. The place it designed so well, both functionally and aesthetically. Someone in other reviews mentioned that this place had tiny rooms. Yes that is true, but you are in hong kong and everything is so packed. You cant make large rooms and make a profit. Smaller rooms and more rooms. Anywyas, the rooms were perfect sized. I could place my bag down and still had plenty of room. The price I paid for this boutique hostel was well worth it, and crazy enough it was very affordable considering all the other hotels in Hong Kong. I would easily return here, and I have never said that about a hotel before.

Pros: there are quite a few.
- staff were very friendly and spoke very pod English
- free mini bar in your room which is replenished daily. Free breakfast which was actually quite good. And best part of all, free drinks (beers, wine, spirits, etc) in the lobby from 6pm to 8pm. Good place to wind down after walking all day.
- extra large towels, comfortable beds and soft pillows
- Apple TV and a flat screen
- location: close of a lot of great attractions. Easy walking distance. And close to the MTR which makes travelling around Hong Kong super easy.

Cons
- the fire alarm went off in the evening. Nothing serious though. And probably won't happen again to other guests.
- there was an issue with the hot water and pressure from the showers. On a positive note, they did slip me a message under my door saying things returned to normal. So however unconventional the shower issue was, they did perform good customer service.

Tip: coming from the airport - take the airport express train to Hong Kong station. Then use the free shuttle bus that takes you to the holiday inn (make sure to take the correct shuttle bus). Ovolo is literally a 1 min walk away. You know you are in the right direction when there is a McDonalds across the street to Ovolo. Alternatively, you could walk from Hong Kong station to ovolo. It's about 15 min.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank AdamCoffeeKicker
Dear Adam,

Wow! Thank you so much for writing such an enthusiastic review of Ovolo 286 Queen's Road Central! You really embraced the Ovolo concept of design and full features in intimate spaces with full force and we are delighted you thought it all good value. The perfect size for you - thanks so much! We'd love to host you in Hong Kong again. Give usa bell next time you book and we'll see if we can sort something special out for ya.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

This is my third stay in Ovolo 286 so I am able to compare my recent experience with previous visits I have made. The bijou compactness was no surprise and the City Queen room was fine for one guest. The space was brilliantly utilised and it was modern, clean and comfortable. Large flat screen with apple tv. Comfy bed. Nice toiletries and super hot rainwater shower. The goodies bag and complementary mini bar were in place. Housekeeping seemed to be a little amiss before my arrival - minor things such as missing toothbrush and paste, bath mat, and laundry bag were easily rectified though. And the additional lock did fall off my door. What I did find a little disappointing was that since my previous visits breakfast times had been shortened to end at 930am rather than 10am which meant that my friends missed breakfast. 930am is too soon to end breakfast at the weekend! The fruit cups offered at breakfast had been minimised. The wines on offer during the 6-8pm happy hour used to be lovely and indicative of good taste and selection. This was now reduced to a poor choice of Shiraz and an unappealing Reisling. The selection of snacks had been reduced - no more yummy olives and the cheese was no longer a self cut option. These may seem like minor nit-picking things but when you know that there are other just as nice boutique hotels round the corner in Soho nearer to many bars and restaurants then Ovolo should be fighting its corner hard and maintaining the appealing standards displayed soon after its opening. Why utilise the happy hour when the wine is of poor quality? The location is great (note - taxis cannot stop directly outside) the unlimited offer of hot (great Nespresso machine) and non alcoholic drinks in the lounge was a godsend after a busy day, free wi-fi, the staff pleasant and helpful (we were all given free late check out as it was quiet) and I would probably visit again especially if the price was super competitive. But I would urge management to review their choice of wines as that was one of the things we really enjoyed previously. Please do not let standards drop.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank KFPGMC
ovolo2home, Manager at Ovolo Noho, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear KFPGMC,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and thoughtful review of your experience at Ovolo 286 Queen’s Road Central. We appreciate your support and sincerely regret that, having brought your friends along for your third stay at Ovolo, we didn’t perform to the standards you correctly expect of us.

First I would like to apologize for the missing room items. We’ll fix that. Thank you for keeping us alert to our standards. On the breakfast and happy hour, let me just say how appreciative we are for your feedback. We’ll review our meal schedule so things will be better going forwards.

Thank you again for your valuable review. We very much want to, as you say, ‘fight our corner hard,’ to keep great guests like you returning to and recommending Ovolo. Please let me know next time you are stopping by and we’ll try and work something special up for you.

Guy Doo
Hotel Manager
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Well it is Tiny - super tiny but it has everything apart from some space to chuck ur case out of the way.

I have just come from Bali and I was really happy when I got here and realised all my western treats.

It's the only place Iv ever been where you get free mini bar laundry cocktails and computer games apple tv and dvd player in your room. there's even free snacks soft drinks tea and coffee downstairs all night long! Ohhh and don't forget the comfy slippers and the super powerful and hit rain shower.

If ur on your own and stopping over for a few days it's PERFECT place to recharge ur batteries and right near to everything.

Only one downside - it was a tiny bit too cold for me. The heater they gave me couldn't really heat the room.

Enjoy

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Talk_t0_Me
ovolo2home, Guest Relations Manager at Ovolo Noho, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a positive and encouraging review of our hotel. We are delighted to read that you made use of our signature all-inclusive amenities and hi-tech features – they are there for you to enjoy! Your kind words have been passed on to our team, as have your comments about the heater. We appreciate all of your feedback and would very much like the chance to host you in Hong Kong again soon.

TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed four nights @ Ovolo 286. All my expectations after reading TA were met, except the room was slightly smaller than I had envisioned. Dimensions seemed to be about 11'X17'. Take away the room taken by the bed and bathroom, and the area to move around is about 6'X10'. Both the room and the lounge/breakfast area seemed extremely clean.
Hotel has an ultra-modern/chic minimalist feel. We noticed it seemed to be very popular with Europeans, mostly couples in their 20s and 30s during the time we were there. The girls working the desk could stand to be a little warmer and more friendly at times. The gentlemen working security at the entrance were usually much more friendly. Laundry on the third floor was great, though it took forever for the clothes to get dry. TV had several stations to choose from for that downtime in the hotel room. Mini-bar and access to water, coffee, and tea all day was perfect. Breakfast had more items set out than I expected, and Nespresso machine added a special touch. We only hit happy hour one night, and it was a little crowded.
We took a cab from Hong Kong Airport Express terminus on the night of our arrival, mostly because it was late and we didn't want to have to try to find our way from Sheung Wan to the hotel while towing luggage. Cab driver had difficulty making the circuitous route to get us in front of hotel on the one way street, so he ended up making an extra go-around. Even so, cab fare for two with luggage was 46HKD . Looks like if he had taken the correct route, fare would have been about 34HKD.
Info for Sheung Wan Station- I believe exit B has escalators going all the way up to the street. Then, just cross Dex Voux and stay on Hillier. When Hillier splits at the "Y", bear right, go up the narrow street, up the stairs, and you are almost directly in front of the hotel. Also, I believe exit E3 at Sheung Wan has a lift.
Overall, a great base to explore Hong Kong. We were happy for the value we got, compared to the prices we saw for other establishments in HK.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bayoubabsy
Thank you for sharing your hotel experience with tripadvisor in such an encouraging, well-thought-out manner. It is great to read that we were able to serve as a HK touring base to your satisfaction and that you were able to enjoy our clean, chic interiors for an overall value that you found acceptable.

Ovolo 286 is nearby convenient city transport links and I do hope you managed to explore Hong Kong as much as possible during your stay with us. It was a pleasure serving you and we look forward to welcoming you back home the next time you visit. In the meantime, please take care.

Guest Services manager