“Great location, poor service.”
Review of Ovolo Noho

Ovolo Noho
Ranked #30 of 729 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights in early November.

Positives:
2 - 5 min walk to Hollywood Road, MTR and Soho Districts
Comfortable bed, very nice bedding and pillows.
Great selection of bathroom accessories. They have toothbrush kits and mouthwash. Most North American hotels do not included that. Major bonus for me, as I ran out of toothpaste.
Free 24 hr laundy on site. Amazing!!
Breakfast Included (Cereal, Yogurt, decent espresso, fruit cups and selection of pastries)
Happy Hour Included (Very good selection of booze)
Free mini bar, restocked daily.

Negatives:
House Keeping needs to be more thorough when cleaning. I checked into a different room during my last night stay, the shower stall was not cleaned properly and it was clogged. The safety chain in the door was ripped off.

If you by chance need to call the hotel after hours, don't bother. Noone is going to pick up, even though they have managers there all night. I was in a cab, desperately in need of someone to speak with the cab driver because various maps weren't doing the trick. On a side note, have all your addresses written down in Chinese before you get into a cab, since most of them don't speak English.

I made a mistake on my reservation, so I needed to have it changed. I wasn't cancelling anything, I was simply moving 1 night to a different date. Since I booked this hotel via another website/travel site, they gave me a major run around. First I was told to call the website directly because the hotel could not do anything since it wasn't a direct booking. I called the website and was told that they have to speak with the hotel to move the reservation. I asked the front desk to take care of this for me becuase it is ultimately up to them anyway. It was just such a hassle. They had a bit of an attitude and were not very helpful at all. I spent quite a bit of time on the phone dealing with this issue. Not cool.

Lastly, this is not really a negative but I just want to warn people who expect spacious rooms. This HK, so if you are willing to pay over $300 per night, if not more, please do not expect to get spacious rooms. Their rooms are tiny but perfectly equipped with everything you may need.

Overall, I recommend this place. However, if there is some sort of post booking issue, don't expect great service.

Room Tip: Request higher floor, not as much noise from traffic.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank princessvToronto
Write a ReviewReviews (1,188)

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Decided to stay near Central for my short trip with my wife without the kids. Hotel near SangKee which is supposed to serve the best congee/beef noodles soup in Hongkong at 7-9Burd st. which is just off Hillier St. Also North Garden Restaurant said to be one of the best is just right Queens Road. So a good place for us since we forgo shopping this time and decided to visit Hongkong for food trip. Lin Heung is at Wellington St. 5minutes from hotel a very famous old Hongkong dimsum place. Tai Cheong for eggtarts at Lyndhurst and YungKee for roast goose at Wellington all are in Central and around 10 to 15 minutes walk from the hotel. Overall nice stay and very comfortable for a couple since modesty is not an issue. But if you are staying with somebody and need to change inside the bathroom it would be uncomfortable since no place to hang your clothes. And housekeeping is very slow. Once we got back 5pm and room was still dirty. Went down to reception and ask. Annette of the front desk was quick to reply that it was their usual cleaning time. She was a little bit rude I should say. I thought hotels check out is at 12nn and check in around 2pm. So they can clean the rooms from morning till 2pm. But the other staffs are all very accommodating and friendly especially the tall and slim lady at front desk which I forgot to ask the name.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

In my travels throughout S.E. Asia, I have grown accustomed to staying at the larger hotel chains for their spacious rooms and broad range of amenities. During this recent trip to Hong Kong, I decided to try something different and booked ourselves into the Ovolo Hotel, a "boutique" hotel located in Sheung Wan.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. This was true of the front desk staff as well as the security guard posted at the hotel's main entrance who greeted us every time we came and went from the premises.

The Ovolo was a former furnished apartment building that was converted to a boutique hotel. The rooms are small, but efficiently laid out and functional. There are three rooms per floor with a smaller (single bed) room flanked by two larger (queen bed) rooms. We opted for the larger room with the queen bed and found it comfortable for two people.

Each room features a stocked mini bar (contents free) and large flat screen TV. There was even Apple TV for guests wishing to access their own movies etc. A nice touch, but should have been mentioned in the hotel website.

The decor of the rooms have a distinct Asian (Japanese) feel, featuring a low platform bed. Otherwise the walls are stark white, giving the rooms a very clean and fresh feel. This same theme ran throughout the common areas of the hotel as well. Reminescent of the Mondrian Hotel (Los Angeles). The bathroom was also compact and featured a walk-in shower.

Breakfast is included with the room, and is served in a lounge area located on the second floor. Given the space limitations, the area featured a long bar with stools and also chairs around small tables, instead of the typical restaurant arrangement. I was told that this was also intended to create a more social atmosphere among the hotel guests. Perhaps during Happy Hour.

The location of the Ovolo is convenient. We were able to walk from the Sheung Wan MTR station to the hotel in about 10 minutes at a leisurely pace. As with Hong Kong in general, there are ample places to eat and drink nearby. The business district, known as Central was only a 10 minute ride on the super efficient MTR system at a cost of 4 HKD.

There was really nothing to dislike about the Ovolo Hotel. While the rooms are small, they are comfortable and amply equipped for what one really needs - a clean and comfortable place to rest at night. After all, this is Hong Kong - a vibrant city full of places to see and explore!

Room Tip: Go for the larger rooms with the queen bed.
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This was my first time back to Hong Kong after moving from the city. I did not want to spend a lot on a hotel as I would be out most of the day and evening. I came across the Ovolo hotel while looking at potentially staying at a serviced apartment. I was pleasantly surprised that for the low cost (HK standard) that you a get a modern hotel room in a very central location of Hong Kong (5 minute walk from the escalator).

The rooms are very small but the space is used very efficiently from the small bathroom, hanging rack for clothes, minbar, work space, full size bed, tv and apple tv (by far my favorite feature). Room was kept tidy but the housekeeping except for the area of the bed next to the window, which was extremely dusty and did not seem to get any attention. It was of particular annoyance if you had your mobile phone on the floor next to you (no table) to use as your alarm clock.

Free minibar plus free drinks (non alcoholic) all day long in the lounge was great. At happy hour each day they serve free liquor and appetizers, which is a good before going out for dinner and drinks.

Location is great especially if you are going to be meeting up with friends in Soho or Sheung Wan. Would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2012

My partner and I stayed at Ovolo for 11 night in November of 2012. Everything that is used to describe what they offer form the website is 100% accurate. The free mini bar does not have spirits but it does have 4 still water, 2 sparkling water, 2 V8, 2 Pop and 2 beer. It is restocked everyday. The happy hour is free as well as the breakfast. The Wifi is free and is fast and there were no connectivity issues.

There was nothing negative I can say about the hotel. The hotel service by the staff was some of the best I received in my travels. Always a friendly smile, easy conversation and are willing to help with questions, excursions, etc.

The free laundry room is excellent and never that busy to take advantage of. The location is perfect. The hotel is on a quiet part of the Queens Road but literally around the corner is gets busy and you are in the centre of the action.

Its close to Western and Chinese restaurants, walking distance to Sheng Wan MRT and the ferry service if you are going to Macau. The rooms are small, but comfortable, nice shower, nice bed, nice linens and lots of fluffy towels. On our return trip to Hong Kong, we will stay again and will even look at other Ovolo hotels in the future for other travels.

The coffee shop O below the hotel has everything and makes an excellent latte. I couldn't ask for more from a hotel.

Thank You Ovolo. it was our pleasure!

2  Thank Curtis329
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I think this will be our new favorite hotel in HK Island, stayed there 3 nights, great location 5 minute walk to Sheung Wan MTR station, bus stop a few steps from the door, Wellcome store near the bus stop, 10 minutes taxi ride to and from Airport Express Hong Kong Station, 5 Minutes walk to Tram stop....and lots and lots of cheap and well known Chinese restaurants within 100 meter radius.
Check in was a breeze, our 1303? hmmm.... small room but very functional (love the swinging hanger), loaded mini bar ...FREE! slippers and loot bag.
The Bathroom, complete high end shampoo and shower gel. Breakfast is just basic juices, breads and cereals. Nespresso coffee is a big plus, we get our coffee and bring it to our room anytime of the day.
Value...Ovolo Hotel -286 is notch higher than Butterfly on Prat...yes! a little bit expensive but way ahead in terms of quality.
TwoThumbs up to the front desk staffs for the quick check-inn and check-out and to the guard downstairs who carry our bags and instructed the taxi driver to bring us to Hong Kong Station.
Are we going to stay here again?...... just me and wife, YES!

Room Tip: forget about the breakfast, right across the street is the best congee in town.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is high on our list as one of a the best hotels we have stayed in,despite the room being a tad on the small size it was well thought out,the only downside was there was no provision for your suitcases so you had to get use to walking around them but despite this it had everything you would want in a hotel room,free well stocked mini bar which they replenished every day,toiletries,safe,tea and coffee making facilities. The room,bedding and towels were all spotlessly clean and the bed was very comfortable. Included in the price was an excellent continental breakfast and in the evening for 2 hours complimentary drinks and snacks in the very comfy lounge area ,what more could one ask for, well you also had the use of the guest laundry room for free and they even provided the washing powder,( I cannot think of any other hotels that offer this )The staff were all very friendly and helpful we were very impressed with the whole concept of this hotel.
Location was great only a 5 min walk to the MET station where you could connect to anywhere, plenty of eating places in Soho again only a 5 min stroll away.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We were on the 8th floor and looked out on the building across from us,but it was very quiet at nigh...