“Disappointing Brunch”

Yamm at The Mira Hong Kong
Ranked #378 of 8,048 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, Chinese
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Tsim Sha Tsui
Description: Laid back, relaxed and thoroughly delicious. Award-winning restaurant, Yamm, is serving the best of international flavors à la carte, a signature buffet, and an all-day local and regional selection.At Yamm, the award-winning buffets are testament to quality. Whether it is Tasmanian oysters, botan ebi shrimp or Iberico ham, it’s your right to choose.
“Disappointing Brunch”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I am a big fan of Sunday brunch and review on them on a regular basis, but this brunch was more than disappointing. But lets start from the beginning:
The salad buffet and dessert buffet were really good, especially the dessert, with a good variety of delicious macaroons, cookies, sweet tofu, ice cream, baileys cheesecake etc.
The seafood station is okay but nothing special and the oysters are very small and lacked of taste. I was very excited when I first saw they offer Egg Benedict, but this egg is far far far away of being a egg Benedict, it is simply a greasy scrambled egg without hollandaise sauce on a english muffin. How can you call that a Egg Benedict? Almost every dish on this side was very greasy and less enjoyable.
Yamm is offering a pasta and roast station, with lobster, fish, pork and beef. The beef war very tender, but the rest of the fish and meat was very dry and all the sauces had almost no flavor. They also offer free flow of sparkling wine with the brunch buffet.The wine was a bit on the sweet side, which is okay if you're a fan of sweet sparkling wine.
However, the brunch at Yamm is overall lacking of fresh products. Unfortunately, I spent a couple of hours in the bathroom after having brunch at Yamm, which made the whole dining experience even worse. I really don't know why they are not able to control the freshness of their products, but I won't recommend this brunch buffet at all. There are better places to go, like Whisk.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank MissKailiii
GerhardAicher, General Manager at Yamm at The Mira Hong Kong, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear MissKailiii
Thank you for your review. I am rather disappointed and feel sorry for not living up to your expectation. I have passed on your valuable input to our Executive Chef and will do everything we can to bring the quality back up to standards. I hope you will give us another opportunity to impress you and I also look forward to welcoming you at WHISK!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
“High Class Decor, Low Class Food”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I was never really a big fan of buffets because they usually don't serve the best quality of food but there are a few buffets that are quite good for their price in HK. So first off, my husband got food poisoning - he went to the washroom 10+ times that night. For a buffet that charges you $700 HKD - that should definitely not happen and you would expect great quality and service. Well there is really one word to describe the Mira and that is CHEAP! There are only two examples I wanted to share with you:
1. The sea urchin (uni) was sliced into 4 quarters and each quarter was placed on a plate for guests. If you are a uni lover - you can imagine how small that would be. I was laughing when I got to the counter - are you kidding me. So for me to get a whole piece of uni, I would need to grab 4 plates? So how many times do I have line up for this? I was shocked!
2. The parma ham had to be distributed by a server and each person was only allowed to receive 2 slices of the ham. And the server would pick 2 slices with his gloved hands - like he was handing you a dirty sock gesture. Parma ham really? It is not that expensive!!!
3. (this one is a freebie) All the desserts have some form of gelatin in it - they were all rubbery - except for the ice cream =)
So, please save your money and go somewhere else!

• Visited February 2014
GerhardAicher, General Manager at Yamm at The Mira Hong Kong, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear JoJo_Reviews
Thank you for your review and I am very sorry to learn that your husband had an uneasy day following your recent visit at our Yamm restaurant. Please accept my sincere apology for the experience you had and please send our regards to him.
Rest assured that food safety is of highest priority and concern in our operation, placing great emphasis on the best of quality of our food and beverages here at our hotel. I can assure you that we have stringent procedures in place that allow us to provide every guest with impeccable food quality at any time. Please note that no other case has been reported so far by our guests but we will put this on our radar to track if any issue is being raised going forward.
I would also like to apologize for not being able to deliver the food and service level you came to expect from us. I will certainly work with our team to ensure our service level is brought in line with The Mira Hong Kong standards as you certainly find it elsewhere and at our property as many positive reviews constantly reveal.
Indeed, I appreciate your valuable input and I hope to be able to welcome you again in the future.
Pacific Coast Australia, Australia
“Enjoyed it so much, went back later that week.”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Celebrated my partner's birthday here - could not be faulted. The service and food selection was impeccable. Enjoyed the experience so much that we went back a few days later, bringing seven others with us.

Visited January 2014
GerhardAicher, General Manager at Yamm at The Mira Hong Kong, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Hi Tenakoe
Thanks very much for your review. My pleasure to hear that you and your family had a fabulous birthday celebration at Yamm and thank you for recommending us within your community. Happy Birthday to your parents and wish you all the best!
Warm wishes
Hong Kong, China
“Best buffet in Hong Kong”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Spectacular food selection. Only premium fare like Boston lobster and the freshest sushi; prime rib, wag you beef and pork belly. Great for groups, families and little kids. 3 and under eat for free. Clearing plates is amazing. Whenever you come back to the table your finished dish is gone. Service is top notch.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank roshan m
GerhardAicher, General Manager at Yamm at The Mira Hong Kong, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear roshan m
Thank you for your positive comment. It is truly my pleasure to hear that you liked our buffet and we really appreciate your kind words regarding our service. I hope to welcome you back again soon.
brisbane
“Came before, have just been and will definitely come again”
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

if I sound a little excited, it's for good reason. I waited two years to return to Mira and to Yamm. The restaurant was fully booked but upon seeing the Executive Manager and the Executive Chef overseeing service, I accosted them and begged a seat. They were delightfully hospitable and here began a food fantasy I'd waited too long to experience again.

You see, at the very top end of buffet dining, patrons can become a little choosy. Imagining themselves to be royalty from old, they begin to judge each food offering from some position of entitlement. More of this, more of that... Slap it on the plate, gobble it down. But to have this mindset at Yamm would be to do yourself a disservice. I note with disappointment that some of the other reviews on trip advisor seem to angle this way.

You see Yamm is not an "all-you-can-eat-gulp-it-down-bang-your-fork-for-more" restaurant. It's more fine-dining than that. The service is exquisite, the meals perfectly cooked, perfectly presented. The variety, the generosity, the attention to detail makes this a fabulous place to eat. And to eat here really is a privilege.

I started with Boston lobster. And over the next 20minutes myself and several plates of lobster became closely acquainted. Subtle, fresh flavours, an exceptional accompaniment of sauces as well as crab and scampi side serves made this an absolute treat. Next came the sashimi and sushi. After that I had wagu beef in a variety of sauces and cooking styles. All the while I was treated with Asahi beer fresh from the tap, along with red and white wines from around the world.

If you like great food, genuine talent in preparation, fabulous service, great beer and wine, then come... to... Yamm.

The Mira if anything has improved since I was last there. The service, the cleanliness, the vibe. And the food has become exquisite, perfect, delicious and delightful.

Sincere congratulations to the executive team, your establishment is as close to perfect as you can get. Having stayed in beautiful hotels and resorts around the world, I want to personally say, without reservation, that this was the best dining experience I've had.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, absolutely will come back if you let me. And apologies if given my enormous appetite you ended up making a loss on my meal:)

Visited September 2013