“Excellent hotel. My new favourite Starwood in HK.”
Review of W Hong Kong

W Hong Kong
Ranked #9 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed June 12, 2010

I stayed at the W HK for 1 night in May as I was connecting on to Singapore. Having stayed at the other 2 Starwood properties in HK (Sheraton, Le Meridien), I wanted to give this one a try.

First off, a big determining factor was my connection. Being at the Kowloon station, it was at a perfect nexus of the HK Express and the MTR. Also, I didn't have to schlep my bags all over HK. After exiting the Kowloon station, I must admit it was a little difficult to find. However, this is due to the confusing signage in the mall rather than a fault of the hotel.

As a SPG Platinum, I did ask for early check-in. However, my flight arrived at 6 am and I got to the hotel at 7 am. I really didn't expect them to accommodate me. To my surprise, they not only accommodated me, they gave me a Fantastic Suite on their top floor! The check-in agents were extremely efficient and amicable.

Within the lobby area itself, I must comment that it is both modern and clean. Just behind the check-in desk, there is a huge LCD display of random patterns.

The room key is a proximity card and is actually the 1st I've seen for a hotel. The room was excellent. I must admit the suites at Sheraton HKG are larger but the suite at the W is better designed. Upon entering the room, there was a fantastic view of the HK harbour.

To comment on the room itself, the HVAC and soundproofing were excellent. There were 2 huge LCD's in the sitting room and bedroom. Like most modern upscale hotels now, there was also a mini-TV embedded in the wall of the bathroom. The curtains have auto setting for sheer and blackout. The blackout worked quite well. Between the rooms, there were sliding doors. These were hidden quite well and I didn't notice them at first. There is a lot of useful workspace and the main control panel in the sitting room was beside the work desk. There was actually an included international power adaptor on the desk. Nice touch! B&O equipment was used in the bedroom. The bed itself was extremely comfortable. I mean, really, really comfortable. A big thumbs up on that! The in-room safe was in the bedroom and was of a decent size.

As for the Elements mall, there is an abundance of shopping and eating. Of course, you can connect to the MTR and head onto the island quite easily. I didn't try the hotel shuttle to TST so I can't comment on that.

Possibly the only negative is that the hotel doesn't have an Executive lounge. However, no other W hotels have one so it's status quo.

Another thing I should mention is the elevator buttons. On the room floors, the buttons are extremely well hidden around a bookcase. It took me a few minutes to actually find it.

Would I return? Absolutely. In fact, this is now my favourite Starwood (and upscale) hotel in HK.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Braindrain
There are newer reviews for W Hong Kong

Reviewed June 12, 2010

I am a Platinum Member with Starwood and typically spend over 100 nights in hotels around the world. This is my fourth stay at this hotel in the past 18 months together with my staff, so now I am ready to write a review.

This W is very new and well decorated. Rooms are well appointed and of course the heavenly beds are awesome. Transportation to all major areas of Hong Kong is very convenient (taxi, train, MTR) including to/from the airport.

If you are looking for a hotel to walk out and "live" Hong Kong this is not the place. The hotel is co-located with a shopping mall and no other attractions around. Reaching "city attractions" and/or "points of interest" will require motorized transportation.

Consuming anything (breakfast, lunch, dinner, drinks) in the hotel will be expensive even by Hong Kong standards. This hotel will take every opportunity to make money in the form of service fees (10%) and high prices on services and consumables.

The staff has a habit of invading personal space with their constant in your face "can I help you" while they pace around you whenever you are in a public space which is very annoying. It would be OK if they were to ask you once and then leave you alone. Instead the staff shadows you through public spaces after declining their offer for help. My staff and I typically end up feeling very uncomfortable and "speeding" in and out of our rooms and the hotel just to avoid the staff.

As with most W hotels the layout of the lobby is totally dysfunctional. The bar and restaurants are not “welcoming”. Again a lot has to do with the layout itself and the staff. You simply cannot visit a public space, bar, or restaurant without staff all over you. It is hard to enjoy a conversation, drink and/or a meal with friends, colleagues, or business partners when you are being constantly interrupted by the staff with questions and/or removing items from the table in the restaurants and bars. Adding insult to injury, requests not to be interrupted and/or make accommodations for your preferences as a guest are not respected.

During the “Football World Cup” the TV in the bar was not on and I asked for the match that was being played to be shown on TV, my request was denied. I was told that the hotel management had requested that the TV not be turned on at that specific time. Declining this reasonable request for the TV from a hotel guest seems to me contradictory to the “hospitality principles” of hotel operations, so I just went to my room and watched the match from my heavenly bed without the additional expenses associated with a bar bill.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank VPPG
Reviewed June 10, 2010

When I stayed there on March 25 for a few days, it was a very happening place as the International film festival was being held there then and there were good parties at night and the place was glittering with the who's who of the film industry.
The rooms are awesome, the views are superb, the restaurants are really very spacious and have a sumptuos exhaustive spread, you name it and they have it...you cant stop eating. the service is very good and the staff is very organised and courteous. Highly recommended place better to be in Kowloon than in Hong Kong !
Very trendy elevators with jazzing lights and everything is modern technology !

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 9, 2010

One of the best W Hotels, and a very nice fit with Elements mall.

The rooms are nice and big, the bathroom is very exciting, with its large sliding doors, opening it to the room. This alone gives you a view from the bathroom. I only had a Spectacular room, the only reason to splurge for more would be a better view.

The bar is great, in the evening it's very popular, even for people from outside the hotel.

The proximity of Elements mall and Kowloon station make dining, shopping and a seamless connection to the airport very easy. Kowloon station has an in-town check-in station, therefore you can hang out in the city if you have an evening flight without worrying about your luggage.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank dre_techie
Reviewed June 8, 2010

Stunningly modern. Wide rooms, Great service, Festive decorations during Xmas, Cool restaurants and Bar. Great Breakfast spread. Convenient Location on top of a mall and above Express train to airport and the subway.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 8, 2010

Very unique and trendy hotel and great service. Highlite of the hotel is Swimming pool and jacuzi on the 76th floor. Really loved it. Rooms are very different from any other hotel I have stayed in.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ask99
Reviewed June 2, 2010

At first I was a bit surprised a the location since I am usually on Nathan Road in the midst of Hong Kong`s insanity that I love so much. I was positively surprised when the valet greeted me by name (he read my luggage tag!). The entrance was very different, being nothing but a small desk and the W-shop...Elevator to the front desk and your eyes get stuck on the very interesting bar filled with all kinds of people. Makes you forget the distance to downtown. Rooms were great with a great view of the bay and HK. Extremely friendly personel as well.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo