“Not friendly, akward design”
Review of W Hong Kong

W Hong Kong
Ranked #10 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
Santa Monica, California
“Not friendly, akward design”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

As a Starwoods gold member, I'm sad to say that the W Hong Kong is probably my least favorite W visited to so far. The layout is akward with the lobby located on the 6 floor and a lack of elevators. It takes forever to get in and out of the building. Perhaps my biggest gripe was the service, it was very either in your face or non existent. People aren't friendly here. The staff isn't very helpful. The W help line is always busy. And the food at Kitchen is dreadful and expensive. Rooms are comfortable with some nice views so nothing to complain about there, this hotel just doesn't have the same wow factor that other W's have. The location is easy with the metro. The pool has a great view but is a pain to get to and is small and the is no pool service. Meh, I will stay somewhere else next time. Maybe somewhere in Central.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank diddleydd
PeterHildebrand, General Manager at W Hong Kong, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Thank you diddleydd for your review. I can see from your profile that you are a discerning traveler and we will try to use your comments constructively. If you would be generous enough to provide more detail to me (email ww.hk@whotels.com) it would help me to that end. We wish you success in finding a hotel in Hong Kong which will satisfy your needs. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (717)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 12, 2013

W is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed. It is extremely stylish, with extraordinary view. Easy access to shopping, ferry and metro lines etc. It has a great shopping mall and airport line right underneath the hotel, superb conciege services. We arrived there after midnight, check in was flawless. Super delightful with their contemporary design of bathroom, especially the rain shower! Hotel itself has super trendy design, love the book like room number display! Couldn't go any better, W hotel has definitely sparkled our stay in Hong Kong. Will definitely stay here again during my next trip to hong kong.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
PeterHildebrand, General Manager at W Hong Kong, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you amsy77 for your short, succinct and very positive review of W Hong Kong. We are so pleased we “sparkled your stay” in this amazing city and hope to have the chance to do it again for you soon. Until then we’ll be here 24/7 trying to make it better. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 12, 2013

W is perhaps the busiest hotel in Hong Kong, filled with business travellers and tourists alike. There was even a long line at the 'Priority Queue' - one exclusively for Starwood Gold & Platinum Guests.

But the service level did not suffer a bit. Every guest was equally valuable to the staff at W and it showed through their courteous greetings, room service, front desk staff and so on. Every single person that I approached wearing the W Name Tag went out of their ways to extend more help than I had asked for.

The concierge team are efficient, friendly and energetic and the one way shuttle bus to TST is a very nice gesture to get us to the shopping area.

I would come back again for sure.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hello iKusuma17. We certainly have been busy but regret that you had to queue upon checkin. I was so pleased to read that every W talent was eager to do more for you than you had expected. We do have a very talented, energetic and engaged team, and your review tells me that we got it right consistently for you. I will be sure to make mention of your review to our Concierge team and it’s certain to inspire more of the same (or better!) I am sure. Thanks for sharing. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Extraordinary rooftop pool, stylish general amenities, and easy access to all areas of Hong Kong and Kowloon. But what really stands apart is the understated but exemplary customer service, exhibited by Besjon and his team.

I have stayed at this hotel three times in the past three months. The first time I accidentally left a phone charger, and (not realizing it was even missing), I found it returned to me with a note, two months later upon my return. My string of foolishly leaving things in the hotel happened a second time, and a pair of pants (containing more than $200 US equivalent in HK dollars) was returned again. Hard to find this type of honesty, service, and style. A major upgrade over the W properties in America and a home away from home for weary travelers in bustling Hong Kong. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for your review Christopher S. I am really pleased to know you were impressed with the service provided by the team, and Besjon in particular. We are lucky to have such terrific, genuinely enthusiastic (and honest!) talent working here at W Hong Kong. Thanks also for sharing your experience of the convenience of our location - it seems this point is gradually being more widely discovered. We hope to have you back again soon. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager
Washington State, USA
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I want to extend a THANK YOU to the concierge desk at the W in Hong Kong as they contributed to my overall WOW factor. I emailed before arrival in early September and explained I was looking for a varied list of restaurants to entertain my customers from all over the world. Some Chinese, some Thai, some Mid-Eastern, some Indonesian, some American. I received a very prompt email back from Terry Chou with many ideas and cost factors. We went back and forth on emails for a few days and he made all of my reservations and even sent detailed maps for me to give my customers who were meeting me at the restaurants. Terry checked up on me before arrival.... Had a list waiting for me upon check in of everything we booked along with handwritten cards for the taxi drivers included. I was very impressed. Terry was not going to be working upon my arrival and would actually have a few days off. When I went to the desk located on the lobby/check in 6th Floor, I felt like they knew me. I had to change a reservation to be 30 minutes later and spoke with a woman I had not met yet.. She asked for my room number and called, gave my name and took care of my request. The next evening, the same thing happened.. She did NOT ask my name or room #.. She remembered from the night before. I was blown away and felt special. She then made a new reservation for me for a night I had not pre-planned. Please keep in mind that at the nice restaurants, they only hold your reservation for 15 minutes.. The W staff made sure I knew this and it was very helpful to know. All in All... Room, bar, service, pool - all good... But.. The Concierge desk was EXCELLENT and made my stay extra special. Stay at the W - Use the services they offer. I cannot imagine being disappointed :) PS: This hotel is connected via Elements Mall to Kowloon station which was very handy for the airport and the convention center I went to. Use the luggage and airport check in at Kowloon station and you will not have the airport lines.it was nice not to have to lug my luggage to the airport! The Airport Express train is faster and cheaper than a taxi and I used it both ways!

Room Tip: I had city view.. My friend had harbor view.. Both excellent.. Although.. I did get the 38th floor s...
1 Thank RandyandKat
PeterHildebrand, General Manager at W Hong Kong, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your amazing review RandyandKat! I’m very proud to hear that our Concierge team left such a great impression on you. I will certainly let the team, especially Terry, know what a fabulous job they are doing. Thanks so much for your encouraging words. Hope to see you here again very soon! Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager
Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I was very glad as my room got upgraded. The sea view was fantastic and the swimming pool was awesome!! Undoubtedly, the transport was excellent and the service was nice too. However, there were several issues that I would like to talk about:

Problems:
1. The restaurants at Element were close after 2230 (last order around 2200). Have to have dinner earlier... Otherwise, have to take a taxi to Tsim Sha Tsui.

Remember, it is not convenient to go to other places like Tsim Sha Tsui, Mongkok or Central because it is at the corner in Kowloon peninsula. Anyway, if you use the Express then you may stay here. However, other hotels, like Hotel Icon, the Upper House, Mandarin Oriental, Four Seasons HK or the Peninsula, were more convenient. If you compare W HK with these hotels, then W HK is less expensive. However, considering convenience and value, try Hotel Icon. If you don't mind paying more, then try these hotels. Otherwise, W HK is more or less a choice.

2. The breakfast at Kitchen was terrible. Just try something else at Elements. There are many good cafes around the hotel.

3. There was only one lift to go to the swimming pool on 76th floor, because the another one was out of order. The waiting time was awfully long. I wish there would be one that could only be used by guests. The last lift that we used when we stayed was also out of service... We had to use the staff lift to go back my room. I asked the hotel if there were any compensations (a free drink perhaps?) but nothing was done (am I too harsh? There should have been a notice which let its guests understand the situations while checking in). If the swimming pool on the top floor was the selling point, then hopefully the lifts would be "in service" soon!

4. The sound system was basic but the Sharp TV was okay! Bose was used at W Taipei.

5. No coffee machine (Really! W hotel is category 6 WITHOUT coffee machines, I miss Mandarin Oriental HK)

6. A waste of sea view (hope the bathtub in all rooms faces the sea)

Room Tip: Be a Starwood member (SPG) and book a room facing the sea
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Benpang
PeterHildebrand, General Manager at W Hong Kong, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Hello Benpang. Thank you for your review and for sharing your concerns which are all very constructive and valid. Our location is unique in many ways but like any location, obviously not ideal in all ways. We do offer a free shuttle bus service from the hotel to Tsim Sha Tsui for those who wish to visit this part of Kowloon and for access to other parts of the city guests use either the subway or taxi. Regarding your comments on the lack of an in-room coffee machine, we currently only offer these facilities in our suites, but have taken your feedback onboard for possible future investment. Please accept my sincere apologies for your experience with our lift and in particular, that our team member never reverted to you after having promised to do so. I have personally looked into this case and have taken the action required to prevent a recurrence for you or other guests in future. We register your comments relating to breakfast at Kitchen and other areas and will continue to work on continuous improvement. Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience. It is very helpful. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager
Reviewed September 6, 2013

WHotel Hong Kong recognizes the needs of every traveler, develops a close relationship with every client who stays at this hotel. They have profiles set up for every guest so they know how to go "above" and "beyond" with everything they do for each guest. They are very caring people who want you to enjoy the Whotel experience with ease........I recently stayed for four nights, traveling on business, they took care of Visa's with ease, ensured that I was well taken care of with everything that I aske for.......Breakfast rocks, food top notch. Bar area amazing! Great drinks! You get what you pay for nothing in HK is cheap. Rooms clean with just about every amentity........Pool- If you swim can enjoy doing laps every morning on the rooftop pool - EXCEPTIONAL VIEWS, QUALITY SWIMMING! Hotel Staff make you feel like you are at home.....From Check in to Cocierge you are treated like a KING. ELEMENTS RIGHT next door is great for shopping and having a quick bite to eat. I wouldn't stay at other hotel right now because this hotel understands the needs of the client. Top class place..... My office is right on Austin Road, Tsimshatshui so its about a 10 minute taxi ride quite convenient.......

Room Tip: The Corner room is really nice as you get city views plus harbor room bit more pricey the Wonderful...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hello Msfchip, thank you for your AMAZING review! Indeed, every guest is important to us. Thanks for taking the time to write. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager