“Scary to be off the island...but so much better!!!”
Review of W Hong Kong

W Hong Kong
Ranked #8 of 726 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed April 15, 2013

W's design is a love hate thing. I love it. If you prefer "old" hotels.....go somewhere else! :-)

I usually book into hotels located on the island so when I ended-up in Kowloon I started feeling uncomfortable. Luckily, it was one of those good mistakes cause the "Elements" shopping mall located right below the hotel provides you with everything from coffee shops to movie theaters; from (very!) expensive european brands to supermaket, etc.

If you worry about being away from the island, you are only a mtr stop away....

It's also great for running fans as you can either run in Kowloon or just take the mtr to the island and tackle the Peak.

The Gym is really really terrible so bring some running shoes!!

Room Tip: If you are into having a nice view from your room, you should ensure to ask for it when you book cau...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Xo s
PeterHildebrand, General Manager at W Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Hello Xo s and thanks for your review on TripAdvisor. We are certainly glad you took the plunge and braved the Kowloon side this trip. I am pleased and proud that you did not regret your choice! Regarding the gym, I would greatly appreciate any specific feedback as to why it did not meet your expectations. Please let me know at ww.hk@whotels.com and I will do what I can to make required improvements. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is a very modern hotel with all the amenities you could ask for... Wifi everywhere, great breakfast buffet, modern spacious rooms, etc. On par or above any new W Hotel in USA. Enjoyed my stay here, for a business traveler this is a pretty good spot. While not in the heart of town it is very good to use as a base for conducting business. The location relative to the train station is awesome. Mall attached is convenient for some exploring and eating. They even granted me a 4pm late check out on the day of my departure.. very handy to catch a late night flight. I travel quite a bit and this is one of the best spots.

I would absolutely return to this hotel the next time I'm in HK.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Hello Matt-Jode and thank you for your compliments. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed all our facilities, had great dining experiences, and well as our location. We look forward to your return visit soon! Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

If you like hip and young sounds and spaces, you'll love W Hong Kong. It's chic, with modern decor and a young and professional crowd. It was pricey for me, but I only stayed for two nights.

PRIVATE SPACE: The room was beautiful; with sliding mirrors and doors with a generous and gorgeous view of the harbour from my room. I know some people did not like the fact that the washroom and the shower share one door (that slides). But I was alone and it was fine! I'm sure if you're a couple, you'll be comfortable with the one door covering. But if you're a family, it might be a bit strange. :) I liked the oversized bath; the rainforest style shower; and the BLISS products provided.

PUBLIC SPACE: The sound which others have been complaining about, really isn't that bad. WOOBAR is amazing and not too loud. I could have a decent conversation without screaming. They said they had Japanese whiskey on the menu, but really didn't. And ultimately, the lobby might be a little loud because of the WOOBAR; but truthfully I'm not sure why people are complaining! The space is for travellers seeking some fun.

CONS: The location and internet connection are my only complaints.

W Hong Kong is situated above ELEMENTS (a high-end mall) which connects to Kowloon Station (TUNG CHUNG LINE) and Austin Station (EAST RAIL LINE). This makes check-in and check-out easy if you take the Airport Express ($90 HKD, $12CAD/USD). But, if you want cheap finds or eats, you have to trek a bit. The TUNG CHUNG LINE and EAST RAIL LINE aren't exactly the most popular lines. The HONG KONG ISLAND LINE's Central Station is about 20 minutes from where we are; but there's a 700m underground walk from the TUNG CHUNG to HONG KONG ISLAND line. I come to Hong Kong quite often, so this was the tail end of my trip and didn't mind the isolation. But I'd imagine for others, you'd want to choose somewhere else.

And finally, the internet. The lobby and public areas are covered; ELEMENTS also provides 30 minutes of free wifi per day. However, your rooms are still charging you; $5USD for one hour, and $15USD for 24 hours consecutively. I find this rather strange after staying in Thailand and China, where wifi is complimentary. If you plan to do work here, make sure you buy an internet card from service providers and link it to your computer. Otherwise, expense if you are on business I suppose. Unfortunately, not all of us can do that.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Hello Onepoorphdstudent and thank you for your valuable insight on Tripadvisor. I am please to know that you loved your room from views to the designs. I have taken all your feedback on board and I really appreciate you going into such detail. Regarding WiFi, I do understand your comments and have obviously had similar feedback from many guests. I am working at a more acceptable solution for our guests, but in the meantime would like to let you know that we do have a special wired plus package at HK$200 which includes high speed internet and breakfast at Kitchen which we hope may be of interest on future visits. We do hope that you would visit us again. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip and really loved it. Handy location, without feeling too corporate.

The room was stunning, and I especially loved the lighting button... Bit geeky, but fun.

We ate there several times in the different restaurants and can recommend the 2 for 1 cocktails. Also the buffet is amazing despite seeming expensive at 1st - you will get your monies worth.

Staff were very friendly, but don't pass clothing by the pool as they will rush you out.

Also the station in the shopping mall below is really useful for the airport.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Hello Pippa H and thank you for your compliments made on TripAdvisor. It is a great encouragement to us that you loved our rooms and different restaurant s. We hope to see you again soon. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Once you step into the Lobby area of the hotel, its just magic! So different and lovely modern funky design!
The staff are very friendly and helpful. Yet I would prefer them to be more "warm" sometimes when they speak, they seem cold. Perhaps they dont even know they are doing it. Make eye contact with the customer, its so important.

Location: W Hotel is located at a very famous shopping mall called "Element" and has everything you need! Its comfortable and away from the crazy hustle and bustle of HK ( It's somewhere were you can shop without fighting your way through millions of people, but of course you get to experience that once you get out to the real Hong Kong). It is also same area where ICC is located - the tallest building in Hong Kong. You will find various fine dining restaurants and also the worlds highest bar "Ozone" on the 108th floor. Watch the lovely sunset over a nice cocktail.

To get there: From the Airport, take the Airport Express train ( its super fast and convenient) and get off at Kowloon Station. Take the escalators up to Element shopping mall and follow the signs to W Hotel, its not a far walk!

Getting Around: MTR is the most convenient form of public transport in HK. The hotel is located in Kowloon Station. Take the MTR to Hong Kong station and walk over to Central and you are in the Financial District, SOHO area, the main hub of where its all happening. The famous Lan Kwai Fong is also located here.
Tsim Sha Tsui is really close to the hotel. Just hop into a cab and you will be there in no time.
Its impossible for you to get lost in Hong Kong. If you need to go to Macau - take the Ferry from Sheung Wan MTR station, Exit D. Follow the signs. Remember to bring your passport. You can get tickets on the day. The Ferry leaves quite frequently. Journey takes approx 50mins.

If you have specific places you need to go ie The Peak, Disneyland, Stanley Market etc ask the staff at W Hotel, they will definitely be able to help you.

There are soo many great eats in Hong Kong, its hard to list them all. But if anyone is interested, you can PM me and I can list a few hidden secret gems! =)

Unfortunately March isnt the best time to travel as it rains quite alot, so you need to carry an umbrella with you, but if your always indoors (inside shopping malls) then you will be fine.

I've seen a few reviewers complain about the "distance" of the Hotel. To be honest it isnt that far. Hong Kong is not a big City compared with New York, or London and its very easy to get around. I'm sure after a busy day out you'd be happy to go back to W Hotel and unwind to get away from the madness of "people traffic" I call it. Its much more quieter and relaxed at Element and ICC.
PLEASE bear in mind that Hong Kong is a very noisy city, even at night, if you want to stay where all the action is, I must advise you- be aware of noise especially in Central near Lan Kwai Fong which is where all the nightclubbing scene is located. Hong Kong is densely populated City and all high rise-buildings are practically stuck next to each other. Do your research and dont stay in an area which is not safe.

Bedroom: the bed is really comfortable and full amenities provided in the room and bathroom.
TV has all the channels you require. Its spotless and super clean.

Also if you didnt know, the hotel offers free shuttle service to/from Tsim Sha Tsui! Perfect for those that plans to have a big shopping day! hahah!!
Every 30 minutes between 9:00am - 8:00pm, 7 days a week. Return service is provided by Elements Mall Shuttle Bus and runs every 20 minutes between 12:30pm - 8:00pm, 7 days a week.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Shimmerstars

Hello Shimmerstar and thank you for your insightful review of W Hong Kong! We really appreciate your valuable and objective comments. In particular, I was disappointed to read that some members of our team failed to make eye contact and have discussed with our related departments to ensure we make improvements in this area. We hope to see you again soon on your futures visits to Hong Kong. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I scored a deal on hotels.com for a 1 night stay at the W; i was there for less than 15 hours. if you can skip the airport hotels and take the train which stops at a shopping mall adjacent to the hotel. you never go outside and go from airport to train to mall to hotel. the service is great and the rooms are wonderful. huge bathtubs with TVs, plush beds, a great TV and the lobby area and bar has a great personality. get a city view room if you can. a great hotel, enjoy!

Room Tip: high floor overlooking the city, worth the extra $$ !
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Hello JEFFfromChicago and thanks for your review on TripAdvisor. We are pleased you enjoyed your short stay at W Hong Kong! We hope to see you again next time when you can stay longer and check out all that W Hong Kong has to offer. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager.

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

This was one of the best hotel rooms I've stayed in with great views from the 32nd floor. Superb attention to detail, but the relentless high design can get a bit irritating. Amazing pool deck on the 76th floor with an infinity pool and jacuzzi. The only drawback is the location- in west Kowloon, but the hotel has been built right over the airport train and the MTR, and is at the entrance to the cross harbour tunnel so it's very easy to get around

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Alastair A

Hello Alastair A and thanks for your high compliments! It is very encouraging to get such feedback. We hope to see you again soon. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager.