“Refreshing and welcoming”

Ranked #10 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
adelaide
“Refreshing and welcoming”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

The W Hong Kong is one of the most refreshing and welcoming hotels in Hong Kong.
The staff are well trained have a fantastic attitude and go all out to provide you with a wonderful stay. We stayed for three nights on business and really enjoyed every minute we were at the hotel. The fabulous suite was very nice and had harbour views. Starwood preferred recognition was excellent which isn't always the case in W hotels.
The breakfast is excellent with a wide array of healthy choices and most importantly caters for the gluten intolerant !
Planning to stay again later in the year.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
PeterHildebrand, General Manager at W Hong Kong, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Hello jshAdelaide, thank you for your great review on TripAdvisor. It is hugely encouraging for the team to hear this feedback. We look forward to your next visit. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hua Hin, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We initially arrived by express train from the airport which took about 30 mins to get in to Elements Shopping complex, Kawloon though we found some of the signage confusing giving direction to the W Hong Kong...

On arrival and checked in by the Front Office Manager, very straightforward and painless... the lift has a certain glow that some may say is too dark but we found quite soothing. We had a corner room facing the harbour and the tunnel to Hong Kong island...in the distance we could see the incoming and outgoing aircraft from HKIA. Sightseeing flights, ferries to Macao all on view from the room... A hive of activity on the water and we loved that.

Some of the best features has to be the pool views, jacuzzi and the sumptuous buffet breakfast that screams Eat Me ! We also took the complimentary shuttle to the Sheraton Hong Kong for lunch just to see what it was like.

Overall we were given the 'W'ow in Hong Kong and will be happy to return in the future.

Room Tip: Harbour view rooms on a higher floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank thaibeachlovers
Hello thaibeachlovers, it is fantastic to know that W Hong Kong gave you a “WOW” experience during your stay! The location of our hotel certainly allows our guests to seamlessly travel to and from the airport, and we are now working with the shopping mall authorities to improve directional signage within the mall. We look forward to your next visit. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager.
Moscow, Russia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

First and last time there. Arrived completely exhausted after an overnight flight, earlier than their normal check-in time. At first they said my room (corner room) would be ready in an hour, so i waited at the reception. After the hour, I came to the reception desk and they told me that the room would only be ready in another two hours, because they were trying to get some stain off the carpet. I asked if a different room is available, and the reception guy said that only more expensive rooms are available. Free upgrade for an exhausted SPG member was not an option, of course.

When I finally got to the room later that day, I was really surprised that it was quite dirty and showing its age (which was strange, because the hotel looks rather new otherwise). Needless to say, the stain on the carpet was still there after hours of trying to get it out :)

I used room service a couple of times, and food was ok, but not great.

The hotel is so pretentious with their "urban chic vibe", but I'd rather have them clean the rooms better and look after their customers with more attention. Not coming back there, for sure. HK has a lot of hotels.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank PeterPZ
PeterHildebrand, General Manager at W Hong Kong, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Hello PeterPZ, I am very sorry to hear of you poor experience of W Hong Kong, in particular the check-in and the challenges removing the carpet stain made in the room by a previous guest. When the hotel runs at a high occupancy is when we need to be at our best, and in your case we obviously were not. Our “urban chic vibe” is a differentiating point we are proud of, but we are keenly aware that without being customer centric and getting the basics right, this could in fact could work against us as far as guest perception goes. This hotel is operated by a professional and experienced team of hoteliers who have learned the trade in some of the best brands in the business, Starwood’s and others. We are ashamed of the experience we provided you, and I believe our communication with you, both the message and the delivery, did not make things easier. I have discussed this with the relatively new team members concerned and rest assured we will improve. Whilst you have vowed not to return, should you decide to give W Hong Kong another try I will make it worth your while and you have my personal commitment that you would have a W experience commensurate with that of our many regular guests. If you are willing, please contact me on ww.whk@whotels.com. Sincerely, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager.
Ko Samui, Thailand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Checked in yesterday and it was downhill for me and my wife from the very first minute we handled our traveling documents and credit card. We were told our room was not ready, would be in 1hours time, and suggested to wait in the WooBar at our own cost. We only got our room 2.5hrs later, after we insisted! And all we got was a complimentary wifi access.

Assigned to a corner cool room 3217 that was facing a nice glass building.. Great! Where was the sea or harbor view for corner cool room, that is so eloquently expressed in the description on the hotel's website?? Cheated was how we felt.. I couldn't find anything fascinating or fancy that catches my attention in the room, just a normal room. Now I'm starting to appreciate the spectacular room I had in W BKK. Didn't bothered to check out the restaurants, spa or pool as a result of the nasty initial experience. Worst was we received a call from front desk this morning, informing us that they are sending a welcome gift to our room, but imagine our surprise when we got back into our room and couldn't find anything. Talking about service commitment ...

Definitely not worth the money for us, compared to favorite Mira, with a much better location and overall package. Disappointing and forgotten..

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello popeyescoob and thank you for your review. I am very sorry to hear of you poor experience of W Hong Kong. I have just looked at our website and while the room description of a Cool Corner is fairly accurate describing it as “Corner with city & harbour views“ I can absolutely understand that you feel mislead by the room photograph which features a picture postcard view of Victoria harbor with a Hong Kong island view in the background. I was unaware of this and will have the picture changed immediately. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Regarding your wait time for checkin, as the hotel was running full over this past weekend, I understand that rooms may not have been available depending on arrival time (of course if you arrived after the checkin time of 3:00pm they most certainly should have been) but our standard is to offer guests a drink at the bar at our own expense in this case, and certainly not to give unrealistic forecasts of when the room may be available. Likewise for the gift which we announced we would send to your room. Popeyescoob, as most tripadvisor reviews will attest, I am confident that yours was not a normal experience of W Hong Kong. I am looking into the details of what happened in your case and if we have your name it would be a lot easier to do so. In addition I would like to offer special arrangements to assist for future visits to our hotel, or to other Starwood hotels in future. If you are willing, please contact me on ww.whk@whotels.com.
Sincerely, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

The W seems to struggle everywhere we go and after this visti we have decided to definitely give this hotel a miss. You're welcomed by a pleasant enough staff who goes through the process of treating a Platinum guests with the expected pleasantries.

The room is upgraded and it's a good view of the working harbour. Don't be fooled by the tag of harbour view as you actually have very few rooms with a view of the harbour and HKG island in the background. But if you like watching the barges load/unload and other harbour commercial activities; it makes for interesting viewing from your harbour view room.

Rooms are nice and bright and beds extremely comfy. The hotel is located with ample luxury shopping a doorstep away. Location wise it's a bit off the beaten track of Nathan road Kowloon.

Service in general is disappointing. Day at the pool was less than satisfactory. Coffee machine broken and told coffees not available. After an hour asked if I could go buy one elsewhere when staff then volunteered to get it from restaurant downstairs. Why this wasn't offered an hour earlier boggles me.

Waited 25 mins for a food menu as told that there aren't enough menus to go around (total of 3 I am told). People next to us just complained thatthe have been waiting over an hour for a pizza.

Decided to leave and spend money elsewhere.

Staff couldn't tell us where to buy bathers despite the fact the concierge service boasts of getting whatever you need when you need it. Instead we were directed to downtown Kowloon to get it ourselves.

For the $400 usd we spent for a night , value is definitely not there. The Sheraton; also a SPG hotel down the road is prob a much better value with location (views of the harbour frm more rooms than the W, round the corner from Nathan rd shopping and around the corner from the HKG cultural centre). Service is also a much better level for what you pay though the rooms at the W are more contemporary.

Very average from a hotel claiming to take it to a new level. Again; this chain seems preoccupied with funky deco, hip staff but lacks the elegance and service of a true upmarket hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank possum3272
Hello possum 3272 and thank you for your detailed review on Tripadvisor. I was very disappointed to know you were not happy with the hotel and from your review I gather that most of the service related issues were encountered at our swimming pool, WET. I do apologize for the issues you described (limited number of menus, coffee machine not working, slow food delivery) and you are obviously correct in finding them inexcusable. I have reviewed the litany of errors on our part this morning but obviously cannot and do not offer any excuses. Poolside beverage and food service was opened early due to unseasonally warm weather, but obviously the correct preparations had not been made. Possum3272, I assure you that this is not our usual standard of service and with the 76/F open air pool being such an iconic and memorable aspect of W Hong Kong, we certainly will not allow the service there to remain at the level you describe. If you would consider returning to the hotel, I would like to make it up to you, in which case please contact me directly on ww.hk@whotels.com and I would like to take personal care of arrangements for your next visit.

We do sell swimwear (quite a number each month, even throughout winter) from WET so you should never have been told to go out to get it yourself. We work very hard to instill the Whatever Whenever promise in any new talent joining the hotel and to keep it very much alive and a relevant part of our culture here. It looks like at least one of our team has dropped the ball in this case, and I will personally involve myself in ensuring we identify and retrain those involved.
My apologies again.Sincerely,Peter Hildebrand, General Manager
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

W Hotel is located in the Elements shopping complex, Kowloon, Hong Kong. It is well located as the MTR station, Kowloon, is within the same shopping complex. The decor is very interesting, modern, with elements of the traditional that have been modernised.

Upon arrival, the staff accompanied us directly to our room and checked us in there. A refreshingly different and customer focused change from having to queue at the check in counter. The room is a good size for Hong Kong and full of amenities such as coffee maker, iron, various soaps and creams, safe, fridge, etc, exactly what you would expect from a top notch hotel. The room was very clean and the bed extremely comfortable. Free internet was included in the room rate and accessible throughout the hotel. The internet access login was a little clunky as there were many login options, none of which were the obvious one to choose as an individual guest.

The staff were very courteous and helpful, all the way from helping with luggage, getting a taxi, or getting your napkin folded at breakfast. The breakfast has a good choice of oriental and western choices and fruit juice comes in bottles, another refreshing change from the norm.

All in all, W Hotel is a great place to stay for business travellers. All of this attention and luxury comes at a price. Therefore, if your travel entitlement is up to it, W Hotel is a great choice of hotel in Hong Kong.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SLChong
Hello SLChong and thank you for taking time to write your review on TripAdvisor. We are glad that our services and the facilities made your stay with us a pleasant one. Thank you for your valuable comments and we will try to make our wifi login steps more user friendly for our guests. We hope to see you again in the near future. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager.
Brookline, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

This hotel is located in the Elements Shopping Complex and next to the ICC Tower with the Sky 100 Observation Deck. That alone is reason enough to stay there......but then there's the convenient Kowloon Airport Express (without even walking outside) connected. You can have a Bellman take your luggage to the station and check it thru to the airport, receive your boarding passes and seat assignments all BEFORE you reach the airport! Trust me when I say, cost aside---this is THE BEST way to go to the airport in Hong Kong!
As usual, the W has exquisite decor, a young super attentive (yet hip) staff & all the comforts f home ....plus the excitement of the Wet, Sweat, & Woobar! (translation: infinity pool, gym, nightlife)
The W team is determined to make your stay productive & pleasant.....but beyond that, they EXTEND themselves so warmly yet professionally! Our Bellman, Billy started us out with a warm & friendly welcome, helpful explanation of services & a GREAT SERVICE APPROACH!! What an awesome representative of the organization. (Later in the week, I heard someone call me by name, ......"Have a good day, J.R."......which took me by surprise and WOW! -----to my amazement, it was Billy, whom I had met ONCE, days before!) Great effort to make us feel at home while n an adventure! Thanks Billy! Keep up the positive attitude. We love the W!

Room Tip: Hard to wrong with a room choice here, but the harbor view is a great way to wake up since there are...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jeanann J
Hello Jeanann J and thank you for your encouraging comments to our location and especially on our service. I’ll be sure to pass along the message to our team and it will be a great encouragement to them! We hope to see you again very soon! Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager.