“The waitress said "Disgusting" to us”
Review of Shek Kee Kitchen

Shek Kee Kitchen
Ranked #4,047 of 13,023 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Chinese
Neighborhood: Tin Hau
Neighborhood: Tin Hau
Reviewed March 8, 2019

We were offered a table close to the gate, I asked whether it’s possible to close the gate as it was a bit cold. The waitress said no due to XYZ (in an very impolite way) and asked us to sit towards another direction. We told her no need then when she passed us she said loudly “disgusting” (yes in English). I followed up and ask her to apologize she shamelessly denied her rude words, the owner (a lady) didn’t feel sorry and didn’t apologize to us neither. This restaurant shall not be listed on Michelin as they don’t deserve it.

Date of visit: March 2019

Reviewed September 28, 2018 via mobile

Had a great meal here for 2. 300hk$ with 2 beers. Not expensive at all. Service was fine, spoke good English. Food fresh and tasty, had prawns with celery and cashews. Pepper stuffed with fishcakes. Both great. We will be going back.

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank michellebP551MX
Reviewed May 15, 2018

Came here about 3 times during my business trip to Hong Kong with clients and colleagues for dinner and I was never disappointed. We got the private room and one of the lady waitress spoke many languages, including Hindi. It was impressive. The waitress recommended the dishes and they were all really lovely. One of the clients who is sensitive to MSG confirmed that this restaurant does not use MSG in its food. The daily soup is very lovely and it's great to have hot soup during a cold day! I would strongly recommend this - they make great soup!

It's no wonder this restaurant has been recommended by Michelin for many years, pity it didn't get a star rating, because I think this restaurant totally deserved it. Perhaps service wise is not something you would expect from a fine dining restaurant, but by Hong Kong standards, I think their service level is way above what I get outside. One of the clients is vegetarian and they would let us know each time a dish is served which ones were vegetarian (i.e. no meat), rather than leaving the dish on the table and letting us figure which is which.

I would definitely return here again if I am in Hong Kong, but may be when I am with a bigger group as only then I would be able to eat a variety of dishes. Appears from the other reviews that their stand-alone dishes do not seem to be very outstanding.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed March 9, 2018 via mobile

Dining here on a Friday night for the hot pot rice. Was expecting some good meal.

Service was utterly terrible, with little staff for help and bad service from the women staff. Checking the bill takes 15-20 minutes without even offering receipts. Asking receipts indicates that you will be shouted by the staff. Just terrible indeed.

Crammed environment and stuffy room is definitely not appreciated whatsoever. Adding how terrible this restaurant actually is. Good value and food but everything was not appreciated at all.

If you do not want to attract customers, go on and shout or disrupt your customers while eating! Not recommended and should definitely recommend this tourist trap, wasting people's valuable meal experiences in the hustle and bustle citylife of Hong Kong.

Everything is just terrible indeed... Avoid

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed December 10, 2017

We had lunch and breakfast at Shek Kee. Comparing the food quality, I think that it is comparable to other Cha Chaan Teng, however, the pricing is higher for breakfast. For example, we could get a combo of 2 items from another Cha Chaan Teng for about the same price. As for lunch, I would recommend going for the set lunch which is good value. We had the steam pork and it was the tastiest we had.

The staff was helpful and friendly as we had a bit of problem reading the menu in chinese and they were patient in explaining to us when we clarified.

Date of visit: December 2017