“Don't visit this place it's a rip off”

Lei Yu Mun Fish Market
Book In Advance
More Info
$51.07*
and up
Hong Kong Harbour Pre-Dinner Night Cruise
Ranked #141 of 871 things to do in Hong Kong
Reviewed February 8, 2012

As we had never visited Lei Yue Muen on all our other trips to Hong Kong we decided to to - after being given the wrong directions when we got out of the MTR we had to get a taxi to find it. What a disappointment - when you visit Cheung Chau and Lamma Islands the fish is reasonably priced in great little restaurant - - not here at Lei Yue Muen - you have to buy the fish which is far more expensive, then go to the nearby restaurant who charges you a cover charge and then a charge to cook the prawns plus your drinks - a simple lunch of steamed prawns and a couple of beers was going to cost us over 700 HK$ about 65 pounds, where on Cheung Chau the same meal for 2 costs 96 HK$ - avoid this place at all costs and go to Cheung Chau or Lamma Island instead - these people do not deserve your money!

5  Thank HongKong77
"stalls"
"taxi"
"harbour"

Reviewed January 11, 2012

Very characteristic place, it gives a taste of the old Hong Kong. Very tasty seafood selected alive from tanks and cooked on the spot for you. Some of the restaurants tend to overcharge tourists so keep an eye on prices, shop around.

2  Thank Fcosenti
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Hong Kong Harbor Night Cruise and Dinner at Lei Yue Mun Seafood Village -
Would highly recommend this tour to anyone, great value, great tour leader (Linda). The seafood markets were amazing and the story that goes along with this is good as well. The food at the dinner was excellent, and the service and quality great. Would do it again.

3  Thank Brisflip
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Some of the best sea food in the world... just, you need to go with a local person that frequents those restaurants. If you are not with a local person, then you better be very knowledgeable about sea food, or you will likely get inferior food at higher prices, and your experience will not be as wonderful as ours.

Me and my friends were invited to a restaurant here by one of my friend's father, and without exaggeration, it was one of the best meals I have ever had in my life. We were 12 in total and I believe the final bill was in the order of 25-35 USD per person, with very little of that going towards alcohol. I counted 12-15 dishes of amazing sea food, different kinds of lobster, oysters, mussels, crab, local stuff, an ugly fish, and my favorite, the garlic fried pissing shrimp. One of the lobsters came in a unique, but delicious cheese and pasta mix. We all were very full even by plate 5-6, and half of the food had not been served yet.

It is very unlikely that I would be able to replicate such a meal on my own, especially at that price. My friend's father, as many hong kong business men do, frequent these restaurants often spend from 20-50 USD per person in some of the best sea food imaginable. These knowledgeable clients go up to the fish tanks and pick what they want. We spent 30 minutes at least going from tank to tank looking for the freshest and yummiest looking creatures of the sea. My friend's dad did all the bargaining and then they had the sea food taken to his restaurant of choice (adjacent to the tanks) where it was prepared and served quickly and to his specific instructions.

Foreigners do visit these restaurants, but they usually pay 2 to 3 times more than knowledgeable locals, and usually stick to the common lobster and crab dishes without trying the rarer animals on display. I saw no menu at the restaurant we sat.

If you are a traveler that wants to have a similar experience as mine, I would recommend to read up on sea food in hong kong and go in with a plan. I would recommend the garlic pissing shrimp with some mussels with cellophane noodles and some veggies for 2-3 people.

2  Thank sebasguerrero