“POSH NOSH AT A PRICE”

Ranked #93 of 9,139 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
Description: Whether it's Sunday champagne brunch in Hong Kong or a 5-star dinner buffet with the family, the Clipper Lounge is where the city's social elite come to meet. While popular for breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets, as well as our Sunday champagne brunch Hong Kong locals love, the Clipper Lounge is best known for afternoon tea. Elegantly presented on silver stands, the spread includes delicacies such as finger sandwiches, sweets, scones and our signature rose-petal jam. We also offer extremely popular seasonal themed teas, taking inspiration from the worlds of fashion, art and culture.
Reviewed January 13, 2014

After a day of meetings and shopping with my wife we needed a place for late lunch at 15.45. Hunting through the IFC center all the restaurants were doing "high tea" and snacks only, no real menu. So we made our way over the Mandarin Oriental and the Clipper Lounge. Seated within 5 minutes we ordered some Asian standards, Singapore Laksa and Indian Murkh Makhani Butter Chicken. Service was attentive at first and then became intrusive, 6 different staff asked me if I wanted another drink, thats too much, once I have said "not yet" once it should be enough, not to have every staff in the restaurant walk past and asking me the same question. Food was ordinary, it looked great, fantastic presentation, in fact so impressive we were both so happy to have found it. But then.... no taste, flavorless, plain and boring. So sad. neither dish had any flavor, I am sure no chilli's, anis star, cinnamon stick, cumin, cardoman or any other spices were given more than a wave over the pots of both. We asked for chilli paste to at least fix the Laksa but were given chilli sauce out of a bottle instead. Sorry but this is the Mandarin, this is high cost food and it was just not up to the taste standard we would expect. Other factors, comfort, location, decor, service in general were all excellent but the food was just "Jerd" as the Thai's would say. Disappointing

Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Staying at Mandarin Oriental HK and our room rate included breakfast at the Clipper Lounge. We were pleasantly surprised by the wide variety of breakfast choices: made-to-order omelets, dumplings, large array of salmon, hams and cheeses, noodles, etc. My wife tried the air yogurt which was like whipped cream yogurt and she loved it. Huge assortment of breads, pastries and fruit (loved the dragon fruit slices!!).

There is something here for everyone. The service was impeccable. A big pricey, but who cares, you are on vacation and nothing beats a good breakfast to start your day!

1  Thank LetsGoTravelers2011
Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

We ve been there few weeks before xmas. The restaurant was packed but they easily found a place for the baby. Service is good but the top notch is the quality of the food: sushi and sashimi of very good quality, crabs and lobster served in a garlic sauce, different kind of roast beef, good cold cut, great dessert.
A bit pricy but it was worth. You can t find a better brunch in hk, and we ve visited several

Reviewed December 10, 2013

It's the desserts that got us. Clipper Lounge at the Mandarin was having Hairy Crab lunches for a limited time, my friend and I never had them so we signed up. Little touches like quality linen napkins and the extra smiles from the staff we noticed here will bringing us back to stay here from the Island Shangri-La where we stayed past three years. They are a little more genuine here excluding the front desk. At this level I guess little things do matter. The food is fine, less in quantity and quality is on par with most top hotels. The crab was nice, very creamy which was a surprise. Another surprise was by a chef who replaced sashimi that fell of it's tray on to the crushed ice base back on to the plate. Sad, I think he was the head chef by his toque, sashimi on Wet ice than back on the plate. The desserts, good coffee, and smiles from the staff won out in the end.

Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

Went there around 1530 with no reservation and they found me a table in less then 20min. Got the afternoon tea for one which was really good. I can eat their scones all day long!!!
At the end I was pretty stuffed and not expensive at all.