“Go across the street”
Review of Wagyu

Wagyu
Ranked #196 of 8,546 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Australian, International
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
“Go across the street”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

If it is packed, which it normally is, go to the bar across the street if it is the food and not so much the ambiance you crave. You can order anything off the Wagyu menu from them, and it will be brought over to you.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank trang h

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
“Good, but pricey, American steaks”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I know that the name of this place is Wagyu, but after looking at the menu and seeing prime U.S. steak I had to order it (since I cannot get it in China). I ordered the 12oz. Ribeye with gorgonzola sauce and my wife ordered the 10oz. Sirloin with black pepper sauce. My wife also added on a "Lobster Tail" which was actually half an Australian lobster (i.e. no claws). The menu actually seems to indicate that the "Lobster Tail" can only be added onto a Wagyu steak order, but this is incorrect.

I'm going to say that the only reason that I'm giving this place a 4.0 rating is because my Ribeye was absolutely perfectly cooked medium rare and was very juicy, tender and savory. The gorgonzola sauce was good as well. My baked potato with sour cream and little bacon bits was also quite nice. Everything else was just ok (or subpar). My wife's sirloin was perfectly cooked but very dry. That is kind of a problem with sirloins, so I can understand that (I tried to talk my wife out of ordering it). But, if you are the kind of person who likes extremely lean steak then you probably would have liked the sirloin here. The black pepper sauce, however, was way too strong (and I love black pepper normally). I had some kind of asian style ground wagyu with lettuce appetizer which was just ok, really. My wife had a crab salad, which had only a few large crab chunks. It tasted good (but not as good as Keen's crab salad in New York), but had very little crab (especially considering the price). The "Lobster tail" she added onto her order was very overcooked and essentially tasteless and cost approximatly U.S.$35. The wine (like all wine in Hong Kong) was overpriced. Overall, if you come here I would recommend ordering steaks and forgetting everything else (the steaks all come with a choice of side order, a very large grilled mushroom cap and a little salad).

I'm not really sure what to say about the service. It appeared that it was either our server's first day on the job or she was on drugs. She just seemed completely out of it. She seemed not to know the menu very well and just disappeared at one point for about 30min. She also failed to ask us if we wanted water.

United Kingdom
“Too Much Food but Good”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I thought that I had never been to this restaurant before but then realised when I entered I had in fact been there many yrs ago. It is not the cheapest place to eat but the food is very good and the wine selection large. I had the whole Camembert to start with, then Ribeye and finished with Creme Brulee (I was the only one that had desert). There were 4 of us and we had three bottles of wine. Total bill HK$3,600. Service was attentive.

Hong Kong
“Rushed off their feet...”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

..describes the staff on a Friday lunchtime. The restaurant itself is ideally located for those working in Central as it is only five minutes' walk. Good decor though there is very little space between the tables. We ordered set lunches and a bottle of mineral water, but waited and waited and waited. Nothing happened after the first reminder and then the second. Our orders did eventually arrive, without a smile or apology. Yes, it was a hectic lunchtime, but the waiting staff could have Been a little more contrite.The food itself was very good - a salad and then steak which was done according to my request, though not quite what my companion ordered. Still, value for money was very good. I will be happy to return, but perhaps on a much quieter day and/or when there are enough staff to cope properly.

Sydney
“Excellent food and wine in a great atmosphere”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I dined here with some local expat from Hong Kong. The food was excellent and also they had a great wine list. The decor is lovely and there is an area where you can stand and have drinks served from the bar before seating. Nice ambiance and great food.

• Visited April 2013