“Dinner at The Olive”

Neighborhood: Central
Description: Chef Greg Malouf's signature restaurant in Hong Kong
“Dinner at The Olive”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Having reviewed the previous posts, I am inclined to agree that this is a great little restaurant.

The staff are excellent and very attentive, the food is great. We chose the chefs taster menu, which was easily enough for two people.

My only slightly negative thoughts are around the seating, you are so close to your neighbours that the chance for an intimate conversation is non existent. The wine is on the very expensive, it was pleasant but I think 50-60 GBP for a New Zealand Pinot Grigio is on the expensive side.

However this is a good location for Middle eastern food, well prepared and well presented.

• Visited March 2014

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chennai (Madras), India
“Good food, noisy place”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

The place is cramped and you will certainly be distracted by the conversations happening all around you. The menu is surprisingly simple and short, especially the mains. They do have a few veg specials. We ordered the very Turkish lamb kafta and aubergine and the spinach and feta Spanakopita. Both were well prepared in this Mediterranean restaurant. Don't sit near the entrance, cold air will bother you as the staff leave the door open and constantly stand outside and try to woo customers. I found the food some what pricey for a restaurant of this standard.

• Visited February 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Uninspiring food and poor service”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We were the first customers on a mid-week lunchtime and chose a table in the window which was good for people-watching. The service was slow and haphazard. We chose the set lunch menu. The food is described as Greek / Middle Eastern. The menu is fairly small and uninspiring. The hummus was good but it's hard to make a bad one. The stuffed squid was bland and dry; the grilled chicken with Harissa was similarly dry and lacked taste and flavour. We weren't offered the dessert menu so decided not to bother. The price was reasonable but the food was dull and the whole experience was poor.

• Visited January 2014
Hong Kong, null, Hong Kong
“Memories are Made of These….”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

For me and mine, restaurants are more than eateries. I go for the overall feeling, the ambiance, the memories. So, this time, i pick Olive to spend a quiet holiday dinner with the family, away from the fan fare and glamour that my industry affords me and i quite frankly don't know why.

Elgin street SHOHO in Hong Kong is the last place anyone would expect to find me in. It's so not for me. I'm the shy, reclusive kind who doesn't want to spend much of the little money i have. But, I hear Olive is part of the Dinning Concepts family and so expecting value for money, i timidly usher my loving family to a cosy, dimly lit table toward the corner of the small restaurant.

The young smiling waiter arrives with a menu that dwarfs him and me too. He's from Nepal a country, i've longed to visit. We exchange pleasantries and my confusion shows alongside my concern about the prices of the dishes. Like a loving brother he replaces my large menu with more suits my stature -- a one page menu called -- the Chef's Tasting Menu -- the chef being James Harrison who doesn't strike me as either Middle Eastern or Greek. But, his creations are, apparently and so i decided to go for two servings of the Chef's Menu which my wife and i would share with our two kids. That's how thrifty we are on the salary I earn.

There are a few other patrons but our corner allows us to take in the colours and shades of a restaurant that truly belongs in a Hollywood set. It's got character. The music, i would have expected to have Greek or Middle Eastern tones. Strangely, Frank Sinatra began crooning from behind the curtains but whatthehell…Frank is always welcome for dinner so, i'll just enjoy his silky voice and wait the starters.

Starters: Olive's Mezze-Silky Humus, Smokey Baba Ganoush, Pickles, Lady Fingers and Homemade Pita. Perfect. All freshly made, you could't fault it. The kids loved the pita. I enjoy the Humus. The wife loves it all.

Charred King Prawns arrive with Ras el Hanout on a Pumpkin See Puree. Succulent and fingerpicking, they disappeared straight on arrival as did the Grilled Saffron Chicken with Spiced Pumpkin and Minted Yoghurt. Alongside sat the Almond Falafel, Raw Cauliflower Salad with Lime.
Presentation perfect, these set the tone and mood for the main course.

By then, the little restaurant took on a mood of its own and the privacy allowed for feeling to flow freely. The wife and I enjoying our kids gleefully take in the restaurant's delights made us walk down memories lane, pulling out at all the stops to recall our live's exciting journey together much of which revealed so many of my many shortcomings and her boundless forgiveness. There was talk and then moments of silent reflection and shared gratitude for staying together in faith and trust and dreaming the same dream. See, Olive is the sort of restaurant that affords you that space -- to contemplate, to reflect, to enjoy private togetherness.

The main course dances its way to us. Pan Fried Sea Bass with Spicy Turlu Turlu and Pistachio Sauce. Great for kids too, there is nothing spicy about it and the fish is cooked and presented perfectly. Next comes, Hay Roasted Poussin with Vegetables and Yoghurt Sauce which should be a speciality of this small but fabulous restaurant. It affords the 'wow' factor that so many restaurants can only aspire to.

By this time, we are just as happy as satisfied with the quality presentation, quantity of the food accompanied by a Middle Eastern-sort of Lime Juice with an indescribable, distinctly pleasing flavour.

By now we have no room for dessert but it comes. A selections of Marshmallow, baklava, watermelon sorbet and fruit. I finish off with the Moroccan Mint Tea and note that the kids eyes have started rolling. It is always time for bed with their little tummies are happy. We pay the bill which is $438 plus 10% service charge for two. I wouldn't say the bill was reasonable simply because for that level of service and overall quality of service, most restaurants or hotels would charge at least double! So, satisfied with the value I got for my little dollar, we came away happy as Christmas. Half way home, i relish the after taste. More importantly, i thank Olive for giving me that opportunity to bond more closely with my dearest at a table that shall be revisited…undoubtedly.

• Visited December 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Nice Atmosphere and Service - Great Food”
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We walked into Olive on a Fri night and were given a nice table by welcoming staff. The restaurant was quite full and very quiet. The wine I chose was out of stock so they ran down the road to get it from a related restaurant - nice touch! Lamb was superb as was the mezze platter. Would go back again. A cut above the normal service delivery in HKG.

Visited December 2013