“It is very centrally located”

InterContinental Chongqing
Ranked #15 of 3,203 Hotels in Chongqing
Reviewed December 22, 2013

The room is comfortable and is very good value for money. We booked 2 connecting rooms and it took the staff quite a while to find the key to open the connecting door. Staff are friendly. The hotel is centrally located in the old CBD. The breakfast is simple and reasonable.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed December 3, 2013

As a more expensive 5-star hotel, our expectations of the Intercontinental were certainly higher and it did generally deliver. The hotel looks quite new. It (and our room) was in excellent condition, clean, and decorated tastefully. The room was large with plenty of space and relaxing areas. The bathroom had a huge shower and large bath. We had a welcome platter of fruit upon arrival. There were all the usual big hotel touches - bed turned down, etc, etc. The staff seemed to go out of their way to be friendly and welcoming. The buffet breakfast had an enormous selection of Western and Chinese food and there were some terrific dishes. Staff served coffee / tea at your table and that could have been a bit more plentiful. The coffee was generally cold and not particularly good. Food could have been topped up better in the serving areas. But overall, something for everyone in the breakfast department. The hotel location is good - few minutes' walk to the Liberation Monument, close to the metro stations. Dining options around the hotel were OK but not great. There was a food court of sorts directly outside but that wasn't too impressive and we didn't find too much else. There was a Carrefour nearby.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Antip0de
ICChongqing, General Manager at InterContinental Chongqing, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear AnitpOde
Thank you for taking the time to review Intercontinental Chongqing and your very kind comments about the rooms, facilities, my Housekeeping team, touches, plentiful breakfast and great location. I appreciate also your comments about the coffee and have shared this with the Restaurant Manager and team to ensure the coffee is always pipping hot and plentiful, especially in the morning. And thank you for especially mentioning my friendly and and welcoming staff, we always try to make our guests welcome in "our home", a home away from home. I do hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

This hotel could not be more central. Just a few steps away takes you to a large promenade with amazing retails shops and restaurants and also to an historical district.
I was given a room on the higher floors which was like something out of a movie. It had a huge marble foyer, a very large bedroom area and large bathroom.
The only drawback was that I could smell smoke everywhere and there was no getting away from it. I guess I must have been on a smoking floor but in Asia everyone smokes everywhere including in restaurants. Other than that it was all fantastic and breakfast was very nice but not a brilliant setting.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Granddamme
Thank you very much for your very kind review and comments on our Hotel and great to know you enjoyed your spacious room, our great location and the extensive breakfast selection. I am really sorry to hear about the Smoking smell however I cannot determine from your review where you stayed, if it was a Smoking Floor or not? My team and I are very strict about preferences if you asked for a Non Smoking Room and Floor and we have actually reduced all the Smoking Floors in the Hotel for a few years now and only have 4 Smoking Floors, and all our Public areas including Lobby, Reception, Meeting Rooms and Restaurants have all been Non Smoking now for 3 years. Unfortunately as much as we try to enforce it not everyone respects this and sometimes people smoke in non smoking rooms. We address it immediately if we are aware. Its very frustrating. If you are coming back again please feel free to contact me direct and I will ensure you are in a very nice, fresh non smoking floor and room.

Thanks again for the great comments and for staying with us

Reviewed November 4, 2013

The hotel has a very good central location within the CBD. Rooms are of the standard that you would expect from an intercontinental hotel but in room WiFi is only available on rooms above the 30th floor. So if you are on a lower floor you need to connect via a cable (old style) or use internet in the lobby, not particularly satisfactory. The lobby bar is moderate at best, no real atmosphere and the ubiquitous singer drowning out conversation. Health club was sub standard with no many machines and very old style. Those are my negatives, the positives are it is in a super location close to local restaurants and shops, the staff were helpful and friendly though language could be an issue! The breakfast buffet is massive covering most cuisines. I was not blown away by the hotel but would definitely stay again and et a room with WiFi.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a room with wiFi (above 30th Floor)
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
ICChongqing, General Manager at InterContinental Chongqing, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear Daad B Reviewer

Thank your for staying with us at Intercontinental Chongqing and for your review and feedback which we review as a team. I am delighted to tell you we are in the process of rewiring the complete Hotel so the whole hotel shall we Wireless (Complimentary) from the end of the year. Its obviously a big job and I'm sorry the room you were in last time it had not been completed, but for sure by the New Year it will be done.

I really appreciated the comments about my staff, location and breakfast and hopefully with complete Wifi next time your stay will be better. And its nearly time to change the Band too!

Thanks and I do hope we can welcome you back again soon

Reviewed October 31, 2013

I liked this hotel, but it was very regrettable that this hotel is not truly nonsmoking. Ashtrays were provided in lift lobbies of non-smoking floors, thus encouraging smokers to light up. There was even evidence of smoking in the hotel lobby restroom. There was a weird chemical/smoke smell in the bedroom which was very unfortunate. The room was enormous, with lots of plugs, and I appreciated the spaciousness and decor more than that at the JW Marriott. One manager said he was not able to put an air filter in the hallway.

The breakfast buffet had a very large selection and was delicious, and included local Chongqing dishes.

I would probably try another hotel if I find myself in Chongqing again, principally because of the inability of this hotel to control the smoking issue.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank BusterCT1K
ICChongqing, General Manager at InterContinental Chongqing, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear Buster Reviewer
Thanks for your most valuable feedback about your stay at the Intercontinental Chongqing. In fact in early 2011 we were the first 5 Star International Hotel in this city to implement Non Smoking Areas in the Lobby, Club Lounge, Restaurants and I am pleased to say have reduced the Smoking floors from 10 to 4. Personally I would like to make the whole Hotel Non Smoking but that its difficult at this time, although its changing. Thanks for the feedback about the Sand Urns on the Non Smoking Floors. In response to your feedback today we have taken them all out to try to discourage further any Smoking on the Non Smoking Floors. My team and I constantly try to police this but its a challenge, and thank you again for pointing this out. We would really like to investigate the smell you described in your room if you would be so kind to email me separately the room number. Great to know you enjoyed the breakfast, we do try to also offer many local specialities as part of our Intercontinental "In the Know Experience" to try some local dishes.

I do hope if your travels bring you back to Chongqing that we can welcome you again and with our efforts we will continue to make the experience better.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

For my first trip to China I seems to have choosen the correct hotel and the location.
Close to the chaotianmen area with all small shops and the big pedestrain streets which starts outside the hotel. Even close to the Subway.
For the service I have no complains they deliver what I need. A good concierge which assist in writing different destination in Chinese for assistance if I need to ask someone of the direction.

The only complain would be the requirement of having a bathcap for the pool. But that might be a Chinese thing..

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
ICChongqing, General Manager at InterContinental Chongqing, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Dear Roman R
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us at the Intercontinental Chongqing. It was really great to have you staying with us and I really appreciated your kind comments especially about my staff and the food, wonderful to know you enjoyed it! Do hope we will have the pleasure of serving you and welcoming you back again soon, so we can discuss some Rugby!

Thanks again
Kind regards

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Is the perhaps the best way to describe a business hotel which more than lives up to its name. Here cleanliness and comfort are taken to a new level. The small details like decent bars of soap, pens, free wifi are simply standard. The generous size of the rooms and the enthusiastic service by well honed team all clearly happy and and brilliantly mentored by their enthustiastic New Zealand chief, Sharon Fraser, made the stay memorable. Indeed, the excellent Chinese and Western food on offer made it difficult to leave a place that is superbly located next to some of the world's top Sichuan restaurants. This is The place in Chongqing by far. One of China's best hotels.

Room Tip: The higher rooms have wonderful views
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
ICChongqing, General Manager at InterContinental Chongqing, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear Roman R
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at our Hotel. My team and I really were delighted and appreciated your kind comments. Great that you enjoyed the rooms and our amenities and our Chinese and Western Food. We really enjoyed having you stay with us and hopefully look forward to welcoming you back again soon - so we can talk more about Rugby! And my great NZ All Black Champions!

Kindest regards