“Worth the climb!”

106 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Worth the climb!”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

As other reviewers have said there are lots of steps. We went in March so it was only 70 Degrees F, I don't know if I would have the same opinion if I did this in August or September. As far as the steps go, there are the steps when you get off the boat which vary depending on the water level. I think it was about 70 steps for us. After you get to the attraction the 700 steps are daunting but I am 47 years old and 340 pounds and I made it without needing any help. So don't let the stairs scare you off! As other reviewers have said the temples get progressively older the higher you get. The one at the top I think was 1600 years old. I am glad I took the guide's advice and went to this attraction.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Sunshinecop67

• Indonesian first
Allentown, Pennsylvania
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Fengdu Ghost City”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

This stop on our four day Yangtze River cruise with Gate1 travel was terrific (but very exhausting). We visited here in early April. After departing the ship we walked a lengthy gangway to the shore. To get to the waiting golf carts we needed to climb roughly 50 steps. For the most part there are no handrails so you need to watch your step. Once we were at the entrance our guides procured the necessary passes. The steep climb starts at once. There are plenty opportunities to purchase souvenirs. After about 40-45 minutes you will arrive at the top. We had great weather and could see our ship in the river below. There are numerous temples with statues depicting demons and devils. We took an alternate path down using a steep road.

I understand that there is cable car access to the top (our guides did not mention this) but it would have permitted my wife to visit as she had a swollen knee.

Visited April 2014
3 Thank EdieandJerryC
Winnipeg, Canada
128 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 121 helpful votes
“Interesting to see and learn”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Fengdu, The Ghost City is along the Yangtze River. You have to climb about 700 steps to get to the top but it is done in stages. There are many colourful pagoda styled buildings on site.

One of the main focus points are the colourful statues you find near the top. In one area there is a judgement day display which is grotesque. If the judgement is that you had a sinful life and were going to hell then they have depictions of people being tortured in a variety of ways.

We had done the Great Wall of China a few days earlier and we manged it fine. However, I had a more difficult time at the Ghost City. Close to the end of our tour we took a flat paved way down the hill but it was rather steep. It was very hard on the knees. Plus we were being rushed a little bit and that didn't help. Moreover, when you get down to the end of this paved road there is still a good ways to go until you're back on the ship. Therefore if you're a senior then be prepared to pace yourself as it does cumulatively take a toll on your body. By the end my knees felt like rubber.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Ken J
Bamberg, Germany
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Great, a lot of steps and very exhausting”
Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

we had the delight of having a really good local guide to show us through this attraction. Was really interesting and you should definetly see if you're in the area..What you will see I personally found quite unusual compared to ideas and history shown in Buddhist temples..

One big warning though... you will have to walk a lot and climb A LOT of steps. so if you have older people travelling with or if you have breathing problems, it might not be a good idea to visit this as even for young people this tour is really tiring...

3 Thank lulu10007
Southend On Sea
121 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 141 helpful votes
“Mythological Ancient hill top town”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

This so called ghost town should be renamed temple as it contains so many statues of Buddha and other asian gods as well as frightening and huge ones of demons and dragons.
I visited this place as part of an excursion by my cruise ship. 700 odd steps up the hill are not for the faint hearted. But the views from the top are stunning and a large Buddha staue can be seen shining on top of another hill near by which is very pleasant sight. Otherwise the place is too crowded and noisy with so many guides blaring on their mikes. There is also a chamber of horrors like a torture chamber near the exit.
It might become easier with the construction of cable car/lift etc.

Visited September 2013