WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hilton Chongqing

Hilton Chongqing
Ranked #3 of 2,159 Hotels in Chongqing
Grantham, United Kingdom
“Good place for business”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on a business trip and it was a great find. They picked me up from the airport for about £35 which seemed pretty fair although I understand the taxi would have been just under £10, however, it was a 40 minute journey in comfort, the taxis are more of a challenge.......

The hotel is up to the expected international standard although I was disappointed to see dirty cup stains on the coffee stand in my room. Other than taht, I could not fault it. The bathroom is large and very well equipped, the room was spacious and with a 26th floor view of a mountain city - spectacular for a country boy like me, probably less so for city dwellers. The staff were all very helpful and whilst their English was not perfect, my Chinese was non-existent.

The breakfast is good but not outstanding with sausage, 'bacon' and eggs available in addition to pastries, muffins and cereals. I even saw porridge on offer.

I ate at a local restaurant under the carpark on the opposite side of the road from this hotel. Please don't follow me there, even my Chinese host found it very disappointing.

I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
GM_HiltonChongqing, General Manager at Hilton Chongqing, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for your positive comments on this website.

Feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide to our guests so as to make improvements. I hope that we will be able to look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Chongqing.

Thank you for staying with us!

Your truly,

JEAN-PHILIPPE JACOPIN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Robina, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

I had a 3 night stay over while waiting to go to another hotel for business and would recommend this hotel for any business trips or conferences.
The staff were very friendly and the front desk staff were very helpful. As I spend a lot of my time in hotels all around the asia pacific region for work I found that the Hilton provided a comfortable bed, clean and spacious rooms and a great buffet breakfast. The only draw back and its not any fault of the hotel is that there are no shops close by, the closest shopping centre is about a 10 min taxi ride and costs around 9rmb which is pretty cheap. There is a language barrier but that is expected when travelling to other countries, there are a couple of staff members at the front desk that speak pretty good english, I think they maybe French. In all I would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a response after your recent visit.

I was delighted to read that you have a positive visit to this hotel and found the service, rooms, food, facilities 'make' the hotel and your stay memorable and enjoyable, your commnets will be shared with involved department.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Your faithfully,

Borgå
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Stayed there for 8 nights, my husband and I, from 23rd to 31st of March. We were travelling for leisure. We had reserved pick-up from the airport via the hotel and found it very convenient. The pick-up car offered a waterbottle each.

The bellboys in the yard were quick to assist you out of the car and to take your luggage inside. The check in was very smooth and the bell boy accompanied us up to our floor, showed us our room and carried our luggage inside. The room was very spacious and classy, altough the fitted carpet had stains, the pillow cover had holes, the chairs had been well sat on and the so called flat screen tv had really bad image. None of these bothered us anyways as it didn't disturb our daily life. We stayed on the 21st floor which we found silent enough. The only noise we could hear in the night was a chucking noise from the elevator. The traffic below didn't bother. Our room was equipped with a waterboiler, daily replenished waterbottle, instant coffee & tea, slippers, bathrobes and on some mornings we got the China Daily newspaper. The bathroom amenities included shampoo, conditioner, facial soap, body wash, comb and toothbrush + -paste.

The location of the hotel is not the best but it's a short taxi ride away from the city center and it's on walking distance from the People’s Great Hall and the Pipa Shan Park. We didn't bother learning how to use the subways or buses as a taxiride from the hotel to the city centre was about 1,5 EUR. The taxi will give you back even money and do not expect any tips. So if your ride is 9,20 yuen, they will most prob. charge you for 9 only.

Staff at the front desk was really helpful, although we didn't understand why they had non-English speaking or very poorly English speaking staff by the front desk. Those who were fluent in English and could assist us gave us the outmost service. Actually the best service we've ever gotten at a hotel. And we travel a lot.

Whenever we would want to go somewhere we'd ask for advise at the front desk, and several times when staff by the front desk couldn't help us due to poor English, we would go to Cafe @ Two, and would get all the help we needed from the duty manager there. We appreciated the staff that gave us their personal recommendation like "don't go there, go there insted", "go there at this time and not this time". Whenever we wanted to go somehwere we would show the front desk where we want to go and they would write us the name of the destination on a note in Chinese and we would then show the note to the bell boy who would fetch us a taxi from the street, and whenever we would want to get back to the hotel, we would show the hotel business card with the address in Chinese, and the taxi driver would nod if he would know where the address is and could take us there. Not every taxi knows this location so before you jump in, show the diver the card with the address through the carwindow. In Chongqing you raise your arm when you want to hail a taxi. By the Jiefangbei monument, in front of Holiland and the World Traders Hotel was the only taxi station I saw.

I didn't try the swimming pool as they required you to wear a swimming cap and my hair didnt fit in one. The Guest service book in your rooms states you have to buy your swimming cap but the spa reception will lend you one. The swimming pool is covered by glass and I bet it's really nice to swim there on a fine sunny day. When you pass the swimming pool you can enter the 9th floor terrace which was a really nice area for relaxing and photographing.

We ate at the Café @ Two restaurant daily. It was welcomed international food when we got enough of too hot and spicy street kitchen food. The restaurant was light and staff were very friendly and quick to serve you. We always got a place by the window. The only minus was that at too many occansions, the chefs were gone from their posts and food had finished and was not replenished, not always even after pointing it out.

There was not much to do in the hotel surrounding. We walked to different directions each day, ate at street kitchens and soaked up the atmosphere. We frequently visited the minimarket across the street from the hotel entrance to buy snacks, water and other drinks. Beer was very inexpensive but all wines were expensive.

The hotel mentiones their shopping arcade but that's nothing, as we noticed only 1 clothes shop, one ticket sales office and one wedding showroom.

The lobby was very spacious and cosy with marble floors and sofa groups. The sofa's were most often occupied by guests who would sit there and surf with the free wifi that the hotel offered. The wifi was free only in the lobby and you would get the password and username from the Front Desk.

We think that the hotel is truly worth it's 4-5 stars what becomes of the service offered at the hotel and based on our experience we would recommend this hotel to anyone who values over the top service.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 21st floow are far enough to filter the noise of traffic below and high enough to see o...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EvelynErika
Dear guest

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments on trip advisor website about your recent stay at the Hilton Chongqing. And, I would like to thank you for your feedback that I will share with all the team members.

It is with no doubt that we take great pleasure in knowing that we were able to provide such an enjoyable time for you and we are hoping to have the chance to welcome you back in Chongqing very soon.

Your faithfully,

Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

Close to the easy to use metro with a great breakfast and pool. The staff will help you with any problems quickly and effiecently. Make sure the desk gives you translation helps for your destination. They speak excellent English at the front desk so that you can travel with confidence.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Hilton Chongqing.

I was delighted to read that you are satisfied with our service and facilities.

Your Truly
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Really like the hotel. Hotel staff are from another planet, naturally polite and friendly. Excecutive launch staff thank you for the hospitality, you made me feel special. Front desk staff of the Spa, one of a kind. Spa staff, you work hard long days but it does not show. You helped me to relax in my tour in Asia, I thank you for that. Well timed renevation starting in the hotel. It is about time to put facilities up to the level of the service. Front desk; thank you for easy arrival (I was very early) & exit. Looking forward to see you again in the near future.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Pasi P
GM_HiltonChongqing, General Manager at Hilton Chongqing, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel.

I was delighted to read that you are satisfied with our service and facilities.

Feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests so as to make improvements. Once again thank you for your truly valuable comments. I hope that we will be able to look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Chongqing.

Jean-Philippe JACOPIN
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed one night in Hilton, and it is really not long enough to evaluate. We were a family of six four adults and two children. We had spent some great times in Shanghi and on a Yangtse Cruise and then to Chongqing where we visited Dazu Stone Cave, amazing. Peoples Great Hall, impressive,Jiefangbei Walking Street,( expensive shops ,fantastic Ball Gowns, but cameras and electronic goods dearer than home). Our rooms were nice, but not as nice as our hotel in Shanghi and the same could be said for the breakfast. I think this is more of a business persons hotel, but to be fair we spent such little time in the hotel it is hard to judge. We ate "Chongqing Hot Pot" in a restaurant whos name I have forgotten!!! A tasteful experience not to be missed.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel.

I have passed on your comments regarding to the rooms and restaurant to the departments involved. Your observations and opinions are appreciated, as they enable us to assess the standard of our facilities and services and monitor if we are meeting guests needs and expectations.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Beautiful PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

This hotel is not exactly right in the middle of downtown but its location is very convenient to many populate sites. Make a left out of the hotel, it is 3 minutes walking distance away from subway line 1 & 3. Then you can easily get to almost everywhere.

It is also just 10 minutes walking to airport shuttle final designation. Airport shuttle costs 15 yuan while subway line 3 to airport cost only 6 yuan. However, subway stops at 10 PM. Shuttle accommodates the last flight no matter how late.

This Hilton has top facilities, as good as any other good Hilton. We liked almost everything. But its breakfast is its weakness. We went there for breakfast at 9 AM. Many tables by window are empty but piled with dirty plates and glasses. Looked messy and not available to new guests. Also its cooks disappeared from Chinese food section. A waiter was so nice and he ended up preparing food for us. Cook was nowhere to be found.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor to have nice veiw of downdown and skyline.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Greetings from Hilton Chongqing!

I noticed we have not entirely met your expectations, in particular with the breakfast service. I sincerely apologize and will personally talk to related department and have them focusing on the service standards improvement in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to complete this survey and share your experience at the Hilton Chongqing. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again at the Hilton Chongqing and remain your hospitality choice in Chongqing.

Kind Regards