“Not a five star hotel....” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Harbour Plaza (Haiyi) Chongqing

Harbour Plaza (Haiyi) Chongqing
Ranked #30 of 3,106 Hotels in Chongqing
Australia
“Not a five star hotel....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

We spent three nights at this hotel whilst in Chongqing.our experience left a lot to be desired... To start with,this supposed five Star rated establishment has no central area in the foyer where one can sit and relax whilst checking emails(wifi hopeless in rooms). There are only two shabby sofas in the lobby, which were always full of people waiting to depart? We sat down in the Lobby Lounge but were told in a very brusque manner by the waitress there to leave unless we bought drinks! The rooms were stiflingly hot and poorly lit. A notice at the check-in desk stated 'money changed.'.. The staff were very hostile at the sight of a creased $50 note! And were reluctant to change it ! All in all I have only one word of advice to anyone thinking of booking at this hotel... Don't !..

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Scentedlotus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

I stayed in Harbour Plaza last month September 2013 on a 4 day vacation.

Pros:
1. There is a very good outdoor garden on the middle floor of the hotel. I go there for jogging every evening and morning. It is a beautiful and peaceful garden that is well maintained. I have not seen any hotels that have such an elaborate garden. As it is on a high floor, the tall greenery surrounds the tall skyscrapers, a unique and peaceful sight. Perhaps the hotel management can do more to sell this garden in their website. I have stayed in many 5 star hotels and this is the best garden I have seen. The tennis court there I heard is under repair. It will be perfect if they can repair the tennis court soon as most 5 star hotels have tennis court.
2. The location is good. Surrounded by many malls. In fact, it has a mall attached to it too. I enjoy the Hagen Dazs. It also has Food Republic, a Singapore food court that makes me feel at home ( I am a Singaporean). If I have more time, I will have bought a ticket to the cinema.
3. The room is clean. i stayed on the 18th floor. There is free tea everyday. The scenery is very nice.
4. On my last day I met the general manager of the hotel in the lift and he was very friendly. The Taiwanese general manager was sincere in asking me how I felt during my stay. It is not often that I meet a general manager that is spontaneous in approaching the customers. Definitely deserve a lot of praise. The staff is also friendly, especially ones manning the gym and the one cleaning the rooms.

Cons:
1. The staff at the lounge during one night does not know to operate the credit card machine. She claimed that my credit card was not working when I bought a box of moon cakes. I had to pay in cash. There was definitely no problems with my credit card as I could use it to pay my bills at the information counter the day before and after. Perhaps there can be better training of the staff.
2. I have stayed in Pullman, Crowne Plaza and Mandarin Hotels. This has to be the worst breakfast compared to the other 5 star hotels. Reason is because the food variety is lesser and the canned fruits taste stale. The fruit juices also does not taste as good as those in other 5 star hotels. Perhaps they can have smaller servings but more variety. Some of the cakes and pastry are just too big to be appetising.
3. The hotel has some poor design that is puzzling and at time uninviting. Building a lounge next to the door entrance is poor design as there is no peace and privacy. It is very hard to enjoy a drink when the only scenery in front is people moving in and out of the hotel. I understand that there are renovating the hotel. Perhaps the lounge can be built somewhere with more privacy? Another area of questionable decision making is to seal some entrances in front. Customers can only enter the hotel by some entrances. Perhaps that is for security but it is inconvenient especially when it is raining. It is also not inviting for customers.
4. The room looks old and felt like 4 star rather than 5 star. Perhaps they can start by upgrading the bathroom that looks 3 stars.
5. The online enquiry email service can improve. I send them an enquiry email a week before I came. They did not reply my email, which is unacceptable for a 5 star hotel. That does not happen in other 5 star hotels I stayed. I never got my reply even till today.

Overall, I will most likely stay in Harbour Plaza Hotel again. Despite the problems, the service is good, especially the General Manager willingness to listen and approach customers. The hotel will be perfect if they can add a tennis court and improve on the breakfast. Other areas can be forgiven because they are areas that cannot be changed overnight.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JonasCN
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed here as it was lose to the boat cruise port. The staff are nice and helpful and rooms clean. The swimming pool is good but I found the breakfast to be poor. There is a nice variety but the quality is average. However for the price in this area I still believe it is a fair deal. There is a shopping centre attached but all the shops are very expensive and there are not many people.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travebunny_72
london, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

What a superb location in the heart of Chongqing and feeling for the buzz of the city. Views are spectacular, and no doubt constantly changing with all the building going on. It is attached to an up market shopping mall which did contain an excellent "Hot pot" restaurant that was a real highlight. Rooms were a good size and very comfortable. Breakfast excellent with, again good views and the pool/spa area good. Reception staff very helpful.
All in all an excellent and good value city centre location.

Room Tip: the higher the better for views
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank charpant
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

Although there is no Harbour in the Harbour title to be seen, this hotel is literally in the center of Chonggqig ( Chungking) and is physically connected to a multi story uber mall containing upscale shopping, Haagen Daaz, a skating rink, two steak houses ( a very welcome change!). The rooms were very large; the bathrooms as well. Was advertised to us as a four star ( Chinese criteria) hotel and lived up to it. The breakfast buffet was varied and plentiful, great coffee and even a view of the city from the windows. The location made for ease of walking, and although consturction was going on by one side of the hotel ( and where in China isn't consturction going on), the room was suprisingly a quiet refuge. Variety of English TV channels available and the AC worked great!

Room Tip: Had a standard room on an upper floor; no special request, and was just fine
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Hotel is located in the heart of Chongqing which was the best thing. We stayed one week and were very pleased. Our room was big and clean. The reception staff was helpful and very kind for us. Breakfast was good. (Anyway It is more like 4-star hotel but not 5.)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Beijing
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks while on a business trip in Chongqing. My husband and 2-year old son joined me for part of my stay. It's not really a 5-star hotel (as advertised) and it misses some details, but it makes up for this with large rooms, helpful staff and a great location.

Pros:
- I stayed on the 11th floor in a one bedroom suite. Although my room was slightly outdated, it was very large and quite comfortable. I really liked the kitchenette and large walk in closet.
- When I first arrived there were free chocolates and fruit in my room. Additional fruit was added during my second week.
- I had free Internet in my room. It was a bit slow, but more than passable for China (I was able to Skype etc.)
- I found the staff very nice and helpful.
- The location is great, right near Jiefangbei, a short walk to the subway, an Ole grocery store and a lot of restaurants.
- My room was on an inner courtyard and generally pretty quiet.
- There's a reasonable swimming pool and gym.
- The buffet breakfast had a good selection (Western and Chinese options) and the food was generally good (but not great). They have high chairs available.

Cons:
- The bed was a bit hard.
- The swimming pool is a strange shape and it is difficult to swim laps if there is more than one person in the pool. The hot tub in the changing room was generally not hot.
- One weekend afternoon there was a wedding in the courtyard on the 10th floor. It was extremely loud. This was annoying but not a huge problem for me, as it was in the afternoon.
- The dishes in the kitchenette while plentiful, were slightly dirty and a little disorganized and hard to access (all piled into one cupboard). Also no dish soap or dish cloth was available in the room.
- No cribs are available that are appropriate for 2-year old children (I believe they have cribs available for smaller children.)
- No conditioner was available in the shower.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel, particularly if you can get a good rate. The one bedroom suites are pretty large and comfortable and the kitchenette makes them convenient for a longer stay or with a family.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business