“Great food and helpful staff!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hatsune Japanese Restaurant (Guanghua Road)

Hatsune Japanese Restaurant (Guanghua Road)
Ranked #86 of 12,601 Restaurants in Beijing
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Guomao
Description: Opened in 2001, Hatsune Japanese restaurant is the original Californian-Japanese fusion concept. Always imitated, but never replicated, Hatsune is a time-tested stalwart that has become a veritable institution in Beijing's dining scene, the very first of its kind in China to feature innovative, cutting-edge California-style sushi rolls on its menu. Culinary perfection coupled with award-winning service, this restaurant's critically acclaimed menus offer what food lovers describe as Japanese fusion at its best.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Great food and helpful staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2014

We have been to Hatsune 3 times now - once to the Guomao branch and most recently to the Sanlitun Branch. We arrived with an 8pm booking on a Friday night, but had somehow accidentally booked the Guomao location. The staff organised a table for us without too much fuss even though we had not technically booked there which we appreciated as they were very close to full. We had the miso soup with salmon and 3 different sushi dishes. One of the waitresses made a mistake and gave us a sushi plate that wasn't meant for us. They realised after we had already started eating (thinking it was ours), but with little fuss she simply removed the dish and did not charge us for the couple of pieces we had eaten. Overall, great food and very good service, with a lovely decor!

• Visited August 2014

Beijing, China
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

I love the decor and the little origamis but I found the food bland and overpriced. Heard great reviews about it but was disappointed in the end.

“Fresh ingredients and excellent sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

My wife and I always visited Hatsune (in The Village, Sanlitun) when we travelled to Beijing. The sushi is excellent and one of the best I have had outside Japan. The ingredients is always fresh and the sushi is presented in an excellent way.

We have enjoyed this restaurant many times and this was where our kids "learned" to eat sushi.

• Visited November 2013
Melbourne
“Really ordinary”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

Let me start by saying I am a foodie. I come from Australia where the produce is as good as anywhere in the world and we have a huge variety of international cuisines. Against that background, I found this restaurant to be very poor.

The first thing that really grated on me is their copying of the Nobu habit of al the staff shouting something whenever a customer comes in the door. It is try hard at Nobu, it is just plain uncool here.

The food is overworked variations of Japanese classics, particularly of the sushi roll. Here is a tip guys, you ccan't just roll anything in rice and expect it taste good. Ecven worse, they then smother most of these creations in creamy sauces - even the ones that are meant to be crisp. The sashimi was just plain not fresh and the one steak dish I ad was passable but it was a poor cut of meat.

It is really hard to find good food in China. I get that it is really difficult to source good produce but this is only partly about that...it is more about their flavor combinations just not working.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Beijing
“Always consistent in quality of food!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

I have been in Beijing 12 years and every time i go to Hatsune I get consistently good California Japanese cuisine. Those guys know how to keep customers coming back, I had the same feeling when i tried their Shanghai Haiku branch. Thumbs guys, you are doing a great job and as a hotelier and chef for 30 years, my biggest problem has been consistency in food or service delivery especially in China. The rolls are great, creative with many other restaurants that tried copy them and the set lunch menus are a bargain. Keep it up Hatsune!!

• Visited May 2014