“Pleasant stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 921 Specialty Lodging in Beijing
Seoul, South Korea
“Pleasant stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Friendly staff, helpful and efficient.
The Room was great, comfortable and well equipped
Breakfast Buffet was adequate , at times slow to replenish.
Service was good, although inconsistent. There is a good Chinese Restaurant in the Building.
Overall I had a very pleasant stay. Front office Staff is great

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
martyn s, General Manager at Oakwood Residence Beijing, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
To Mr Hklinkhammer,

Many thanks for your recent positive review.
We are pleased that overall, you were satisfied with your stay at Oakwood Residence Beijing. Your appreciation will be relayed to Front Office staff and our Restaurant staff will be reminded of the need for more prompt buffet replenishment.
We do hope to have the opportunity to provide you with long term accommodation in the near future and to provide you with another pleasant stay.

With Kind Regards,
Martyn Standen, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
manitoba
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

I recently called the Oakwood "home" for a few weeks. I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful, and the apartment itself was very comfortable. Like many places in China, there were some strange ways of doing things, but overall it was great.
And Erik from the front desk, keep on singin' like a Crazy Canuck! Karaoke was a blast, man!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank terry k
Beijing, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

I lived at Oakwood residence from the begining of it's 2 till the end. In total I stayed exactly one year. The service I must say was always good. That's where the positives end. The building itself needs to be demolished and rebuilt again. It's not an old building not even 5 years old yet everyday you would see service men fixing the walls outside or in the gym water gushing out of the roof or a crack here and there. In the bathrooms there was always a smell of excrement when I Asked for the problem to be looked at they simply told me nothing can be done about it that's the way the piping is connected. Inside the apartment the furniture itself is very cheaply made. Roof cracking near all light fixtures. The day beds can be simply lifted off out of there place. Wallpaper was peeling. The list can go on and on. The cleaning was not good. They would service your apartment twice a week. When the cleaners would leave I would have to do extra cleaning like redo the mopping of floors and toilets. They did not use floor cleaning chemical to mop the floor. Only what appeared to be a dry mop with a towel at the end of it. The showers were never scrubbed only lightly wiped with a cloth hence why mould was consistently present. My 4,000 rmb bicycle was stolen from the residents bicycle shed and nothing was done about it. Not even an apology issued.
Another issue that always bothered me was the green stagnant water that used to surround the front of the hotel and locals would dump everything from rubbish bags full of rubbish to old furniture. The front of Oakwood was the unofficial landfill for the area.
Finally when the year was over and it came time to leave managment tried to charge me 3500 RMB because I had used the pots and the bottoms discolored. That's what happens when you provide cheap rubbish pots and pans and ask residents to use them.
Of course I refused to pay and ended up in a heated argument with the then manager Arthur Krieger.
A note to management.................
When you ask people to pay over 5,000 USD a month to stay in a substandard hotel resident's will complain and they will write reviews on trip advisor to warns others from falling into the same trap.
All in all for what you get and the price you pay its a BIG ripoff. Around Beijing there are plenty of better places to stay for a cheaper price and bigger apartments which offer a better quality of living eg Mixion diplomatic Residence, Xanadu international compound to name a few.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Rock H
martyn s, General Manager at Oakwood Residence Beijing, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Mr Rock,

Many thanks for supplying us with your candid feedback concerning your stay at Oakwood Residence Beijing from August 2011 to August 2012.
Even though you left nearly one year ago, I would like to add my reply to some of the aspects on which you commented.
The river management programme undertaken by Beijing City government is nearly at an end, and the water in front of the property is currently neither green nor contains any garbage.
The leak that was present in the gym has long since been fixed.
Each apartment is supplied with Fagor cookware which is high quality European cookware, that has proven to be both high quality and quite long lasting.
We have very few issues with cosmetic mould thanks to a rigourous inspection programme.
Rooftop vacuum exhaust systems have eliminated any smell issues that may have ocurred previously.
Building cladding repair work does occur from time to time as is common with many buildings that suffer the climate extremes of Beijing.

Addionally since your departure we have installed free to resident wifi throughout the building.

We thank you for your comments as it is through such feedback that we can focus on our improvement areas.
We do hope to see you again.
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

We enjoy to stay in Oakwood Residence. The management is perfect for us and the team is very helpfull for all our needs. And I like to say thank you by the way.

The Sleep Quality is not so good because the roomtemperature ist to high. We try to cool down with the AC but than their ist to much wind / air for sleeping. I asked vor thinner blankets but they dont have Bedfillings for summertime. That would be helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Oakwood

martyn s, General Manager at Oakwood Residence Beijing, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
We would like to thank the reviewer for his valuable feedback and input. We do apologise that the room temperature wasnt as cool as you would have required.
In March we started to reduce the heating in line with the increase in temperatures outside the building, and air-conditioning was commenced in April.
We have not had any previous requests for a lighter type of bedding as residents seem to prefer the heavier duck feather duvet that we provide, however we will monitor this in the future to see if there are other such requests.
I am pleased that you generally enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Yours Sincerely,
Oakwood Residence Beijing.
Shenyang, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

I and family went to Beijing to process something at the embassy. We stayed at this hotel for 2 days. The hotel so close from the embassy area. Cleanliness is good and the staff have good service to us. But since on that time in spring season and the temperature still cold, the heater inside the room weren't good enough, so we feel bit cold. Also they have no activity in the hotel for us to be enjoyed.
Anyway we so satisfied staying in this hotel.

Room Tip: Corner suites are suitable for family
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
martyn s, General Manager at Oakwood Residence Beijing, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
I wish to express our sincere appreciation for choosing Oakwood Resdience Beijing and am very happy that you have generally found our services to be satisfactory.
There is a heating remote control panel in each and every room, in all our apartments that allow for both temperature and speed of heat output.
We do hope that this minor inconvenience did not overly disturb you and do hope that we can be of service to you on future short or long trips to Beijing in the future.
Yours Sincerely,

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

I was staying continuously except for 1 month, in this place for 6 months business trip.

Positives

1. The convenience store in the reception is good and saves you time and hassle

2. The room, decor and fittings are modern which is unfortunately rare for Beijing

3. The view is nice

4. The cleaners are efficient

5. With much digging there are a few acceptable restaurants nearby - Very Siam (Thai) and Ganges (Indian).

6. The gym is big and has good equipment

7. The doormen get the taxis for you (however still impossible during rush hours)

8. The laundry people are efficient and reliable

9. The location is near the airport express road which is good

10. There are good cheap massage places in walking distance (80 RMB)

11. There are 2 big TVs and lots of channels

12. English level is acceptable

13. Rooms are a good size

14. The staff at the front desk are friendly.

15. The tennis court is good, although not free

16. They have a table tennis table in the gym

17. Sound does not carry through the walls

18. Bed is comfortable

Negative side

1. When you check-in they waste your time taking an inventory of all the appliances, cutlery and dishes. Then when you check-out they waste your time again counting everything. This makes you feel like a criminal. This has never happened to me in any other hotel.

2. I had a occasion when my phone was stolen, not speaking chinese I needed to report this to the police station. I asked the staff to do this but was told no help could be given even if I paid for the staff time. This is not a usual request, however considering I was staying here 6 months I would expect them to take care of me in a foreign country.

3. When I left I asked for some help folding the clothes as I have done in many other hotels. Again, of course this is not possible.

4. The internet is poor. It drops out which makes skype calls a challenge, and is limited to 300kb/s which is barely "high speed". This is despite MANY requests to increase the speed.

5. There is no wifi, you have to buy/rent your own router

6. There are no benefits staying here as a long term guest (except for 10% off the restaurant) which compared to other hotels that cost similar prices, is disappointing. I have to say though, the director of sales did try very very hard to give some extra benefits which I really appreciated, however much his hands were tied.

7. The chinese restaurant is poor. They have no idea what good chinese food is. One tradegy of beijing is that much of chinese cuisine in China either uses poor quality meat, and the wrong techniques (cutting meat with bone inside) or is completely overpriced. This restaurant doesn't cater to international standards.

8. The western restaurant is average but charges relatively high prices for things you can get delivered for much less. It is amusing to see the traffic of delivery people going in and out.

9. They mis-billed me after I specifically asked for mastercard conversion on my credit card, they charged me using the bank of china exchange rate instead, taking a 5% cut. They have since reversed this (hopefully it will go through).

10. The elevators use a logic that is very inefficient and it always takes a long time to go up and down

11. The laundry people put irritating blue tags on everything, stapling them which you have to remove, and don't use their brains - often throwing ironed clothes onto the bed. They also put plastic on the clothes that crease them because they put too many together. The laundry is overpriced and their are incapable in mending anything.

12. There is no swimming pool, or rooftop area to lounge around in. There is no business lounge.

13. The spa inside the hotel charges ridiculous fees for massages

14. They are hopeless at controlling the temperature. In summer it is too hot and the air conditioning is only in the bedroom, there is none in the living room. In winter, even keeping the heating completely turned off, it is too hot unless you open the external windows!

15. You never feel like they go the extra mile or value you as a customer despite being a long-term stay

16. No taxi drivers have ever heard of this place

17. The exterior looks like a construction site and there is no footpath to walk out of the building. You have to chance getting run over on the driveway.

18. There really isn't much in terms of restaurants or shops nearby

19. There is no ergonomic chair for working at the desk

20. I was locked out for 30 mins when I came home. The lock of the apartment runs on a battery and this went flat. I was happy to forgive this, except it happened 2 more times within 2 weeks of the first incident.

21. There is no bath

22. You get charged something ridiculous extra to print anything, including your boarding pass

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank puremajik
martyn s, General Manager at Oakwood Residence Beijing, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
I am thrilled and complimented to find many positive comments during your stay, and at the same time, appreciateyour valuable feedback on improvement opportunities.

Whilst you have made comments both positive and less so, we would initially like to state that we are a serviced apartment residence and whilst there are some features that maybe similar to a hotel, the ways in which hotels and serviced apartments operate can be different

To begin with, it is our normal practice to conduct an inventory upon guest arrival and departure. We do supply a generous inventory of tableware, silverware and cooking utensils.

As you have mentioned on the benefits for long term residents, we do offer 10% reduction on services consumed in the property and in our sister properties within China, to show our sincerest appreciation for our residents. Currently , Oakwood properties in Asia do not have a points or loyalty programme as major hotel companies do for their guests.

For internet, we are unable to increase the bandwidth for one specific apartment, as it will disrupt the speed of access in other guest apartments. We are addressing the internet speed issue with our internet provider to restore the speed capability that our residents have previously enjoyed.

The Chinese restaurant and spa, is managed by an external company and is not under Oakwood management. We will relay your comments to their management.

Referring to the air-conditioning unit, our property was constructed using a 2 pipe system, which allows either heater or air-conditioning to be use at one time. We understand that a majority of apartment building and hotels in China is using a similar system..
The air-conditioning in your room is accompanied with AC panel attached to the wall . This remote panel allows you to adjust the speed and turn on/off the air-conditioning/heating.

Based on your comment on your stolen phone, we have reviewed our practice and will now assist our residents if required outside the property.
Similarly when using our laundry service, residents should expect the clothing returned without creases, and to this end we will now place the returned laundry into the closet.

Many thanks for your comment and we look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to Beijing.

Beijing, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

Firstly for the price and its international reputation, I'm appalled at the cleanliness. I found gum on the carpet and toes nail clippings in the second bathroom leftover from the room's previous occupant. It is supposed to be a full serviced apartment but hey if you have plates in the sink, they will wash around it! Also I found out that do not vacuum the couch - it costs extra. Mold around the drain pipes. Also note, for some stupid reason the hotel refuses to have the tv on in the gym between 8am to 6pm. It's not to save electricity coz they still turn it on with, but just shows white fuzz. What the hell am I paying for?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank S W
Thank you for sharing your valuable insight in regards to the issues you have encountered during your stay with us.
I am highly surprised that the high standards of cleanliness that we generally have, were not met on this occasion.
We have a rigourous and frequent inspection program, that should have picked up on this.
Our apologies for not keeping to this standard.

Our Executive Housekeeper has been briefed on this matter to carry out more thorough staff training . Please do take this as an isolated incident.

With reference to vacuuming the sofa, we are happy to do this additional service at no cost- I apologize if incorrect information for an extra cost was relayed to you.

We are aware of the mould issue and are currently reviewing preventative actions that can be taken to eliminate mould growth on drainage pipes, that are not generally visible to residents.

Mould is a common problem in northern china especially during the change of season.

Lastly with the television display in the gym, we must abide by the laws and regulations of China that prohibit us from displaying in public areas, international channels during periods of the day. The licence that we are required to obtain, is a different licence to that of hotels, hence hotels may show international channels publicly all day whereas we are not allowed to do so. There are heavy penalties and serious fines that are issued for non compliance.

We sincerely wish you will return to stay with us on your next visit as so we can ensure that you enjoy a “Very Satisfactory” experience in every way.