“You get what you pay for. Comfortable room, frayed edges, not walkable.”

OL Stadium Hotel Beijing
Ranked #2,706 of 6,473 Hotels in Beijing
Palo Alto, California
“You get what you pay for. Comfortable room, frayed edges, not walkable.”
Reviewed March 29, 2012

I came here with a package tour, so it wasn't my choice and wouldn't have been. This hotel isn't near strolling streets. It's more in a big section of highways, big box stores and factories, and large scale things like the Olympic Bird's Nest Stadium.

But, the beds were comfortable and the room a typical nice business-style Asian room, with down duvets and pillows and many confusing light switches on the wall beside the bed.

The floor was non-smoking, but an overwhelming smoke smell infiltrated. I figured it out - the hallway windows were open for ventilation. They opened out to a sort of small courtyard/ventilation space, and I'm guessing that's where the staff took their smoking breaks. The smoke went up the shaft, into the window of our hallway, and sucked under the door into the room. I mentioned it on the last day, not complaining but just reporting, and noticed the window was closed and the smell gone after that.

I had one bath towel that was fluffy, and one that was so tattered the end hung in strings. But that's China for you - things have a shiny veneer but everything is frayed around the edges. As one Chinese person told me, it starts out new and upscale, then gradually everything falls apart.

The hotel did have decent services - a robust breakfast buffet in an odd chrome-decor room that doubled as a disco at night, free wireless internet in the lobby, a lobby coffee/drinks bar that stayed open very late and was cheerful enough, a restaurant just off the lobby serving decent Chinese food till 9:30 pm, a small gift shop stocked with conveniences like snacks, carton milk, cough drops, other useful items that can be hard to find. It also kept late hours. Lastly, a small electronics shop, but it didn't sell the SIM cards I wanted, only flash media and other devices. All this crammed into a fairly small hotel lobby, but useful.

Hotel front desk staff didn't speak English, but were good at patiently working through sign language, such as our drawing of a hair dryer we couldn't find - they wrote "have" on the sketch and mimicked pulling out a drawer. We returned to the room and found it in a velvet pouch in the desk drawer.

So, if you don't mind a tacky/shiny chrome lobby, tattered-looking public hallways (as is common in China), and some frayed edges here or there, and catching a ride to interesting places to walk, you get decent services for a decent price here.

Room Tip: We were on the 10th floor on the side. It was quiet. There is a huge highway out front of the hote...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank happytomeetyou

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Beijing, China
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Overwhelming cigarette smoke in my room, filthy hallway carpets, room felt dirty , construction in the morning, stayed one night and gone. staff gave poor directions also, not a central or interesting location. I had to stay in the area due to work but next time would I rather stay in Wangfunjing Dongcheng , and commute. certainly if you are tourist you should stay downtown.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank JBworld67

Travelers are raving about these Beijing hotels

Hong Kong
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights on business in May, mostly because it was within a 10 min taxi ride to the BJ headquarters of my listed group.

I'm never surprised by anything in China, and this hotel was no exception. It was almost expected when the taxi drivers told me that they have never heard of the hotel. Naturally, I had the Chinese prinouts ready for them, and it turned out that this place is commonly known as "Laodong Dasha", a former hostel for party officials.

On arrival, I found the hotel room infernally hot - it was explained to me by the hotel staff that there was a municpal mandate that a/c is not to be used in the month of May - so what if it was 30 degrees celsius that day? I told them that I highly doubted that the Intercontinental, Marco Polo and Crowne Plaza next door were following that policy, and wrote my letter of complaint to Best Western Group while they stood watching. Then I left for my meetings.

Naturally, halfway during my afternoon meeting, I was informed by text that the hotel management had spoken to the municipal government, and that the a/c would be available for the duration of my stay.

On to amenities, while the room was actually decent (or about as decent as Best Westerns can get), there are no acceptable restaurants on the premises. The gym looked like a ghetto establishment, with a roughneck rudely demanding what I was doing there. Need I go on?

Oh, and Zhongguancun (the so-called Silicon Valley of China) is as a whole a dump around which they built the Water Cube and Bird's Nest. So there was nothing to do around the area as a result. In fact, my big excursion on t he entire trip was to take a 20 minute ride to Hooter's for a philly cheesesteak.

If you have no expectations, you probably won't be disappointed. But China seems to outdo itself with its stupidity each time I go up there, and it's simply amazing with fine examples of Chinese management such as this hotel that it is the country the world is looking up at with envy.

Would I go back? Sadly possibly - if the Crowne Plaza is only several hundred RMB more a night, then I'll probably give that a go. Otherwise, I'd still pick this hotel because of its proximity to HQ. If by choosing another hotel I had to take an extra 5 minutes to travel, that's still 5 more minutes that I'm putting my life and limbs at risk in a place like China.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank jrocker7
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Checked in @1.30am,Staff Member decided it would be good to hand write each Breakfast Chit personally (2persons x 7 Breakfasts, 14 chits???) the beginning of the nightmare. A cursory glance at the room indicated we were in trouble, I was too scared to look at the mattress and just tried to make the best of it until morning.We were on the 11th floor and were woken at 6.30AM by Jack hammers into concrete over our heads.Luckily we had the services of a Guide from Wendy Wu Travel,Maggie Mi, who immediately rang the Hotel and they transferred us to 9th Floor,great, room was not as shabby but now we were on street front with every car(and their horns) in Beijing going past.A sign miraculously appeared the next day saying that Hotel was undergoing Construction and they apologised,let me say the Construction went from 8.30 am to 8.30pm, constant banging and Jack Hammers.Do Not GO.
We booked a day Tour with the Hotel(Business Centre) to Great Wall(Badeling) cost & 700RMB included Ming Tombs, Jade Factory and Silk Factory.We purchased at Jade Factory and when we got to Silk Factory were told stop was for 30 mins and if we did not want to purchase anything that was ok. As we had limited luggage we could not purchase a silk quilt so listened to processing info and looked aroundthen went outside for 10mins to wait for Bus, the Tour Guide came out and informed us that the Silk Co would not "pay"? for us as we did not stay inside?no one told us we had to so I volunterred to go back in but Guide said too late we had to get off Bus and offered to pay for Taxi, we were so embarrassed we refused money but were left stranded and had to find our own way back to Hotel which was quite terrifying. The Hotel seemed to think this was Ok, we purchased a Tour and paid for pickup and drop off,seems a strange way to run tours all care no responsibility.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Sharyn50
Budapest
Reviewed July 29, 2011

My stay started with a good checkinn ( 7 AM ) I used immediately the rich breakfast buffet and learned that at this time you must eat breakfast here in the hotel, because unfortunately after one our there was almost nothing any more to eat ! The place was very very crowded with certain tourists which gave me unfortunately a cheap fealing, better to take it to your room. Rooms were ok, FREE WIFI. but old glory. Everywhere stains on the carpets, hall-room-near to the elevator everywhere ! but clean.
The hotel bar area is nice to meet a client but rather expensive. If you like the real chinese quisine you can stay in the hotel restaurant, but I will not recommend it to go there with a client, eat alone, fast tasty and reasonable priced. Unfortunately the hotel is far away from everything, are you hungry, than you will have a problem with finding a tasty restaurant. Tip : 50 meters from the hotel in the direction of the olympic park is on the right side a supermarket where you can buy everything what you desire, again super fresh and tasty and incredible low prices, so do not buy in the hotel snacks or drinks. Unfortunately I will not visit this hotel again.

Room Tip: Take only business rooms above the 11th floor, because back and front side are quit noisy
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank flyingDutchman6
Reviewed July 25, 2011

The lobby looks kind of cool, but there is no a/c in the common areas other than the first floor so the whole place was hot and musty with smoke filled carpets that should have been replaced years ago. Smoke everywhere, no pool for the kids, no subway, very small rooms...moved to the swissotel and loved it.

On the positive side, breakfast was great and the staff were super nice and helpful.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank 5Americans
Chevy Chase Maryland
Reviewed April 23, 2011

Reservations: made by someone else. Check in was efficient.
Location: convenient to Olympic Park and Chinese Academy of Sciences and precious little else. Crappy neighborhood.
Exterior: shabby.
Lobby: garidh.
Room: first room had no internet service. Second room stunk of smoke. Second room had old CRT TV with only one English channel. Refrigerator was not working. Bathroom smelled like sewage. Shower curtain was moldy. Calking around shower was moldy.
Service: front desk staff speaks limited Englsih. Bell men were charming. Breakfast buffet was excellent in choice and quality.
Check out: pleasant accurate and efficient.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business