“Best EVER”

Ranked #12 of 6,461 Hotels in Beijing
Dudelange, Luxembourg
“Best EVER”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I stayed for 7 nights in July 2014 at this wonderful Hotel located in a Hutong (old town). Don't be put off by the very traditional road leading to the Hotel. Everything is perfect. This house is an old courtyard house that has been nicely refurbished. You want to experience ancient/traditional China? This is the place. Do not fear for your comfort: everything is furnished. Air conditioning, hair dryer, a whole lot of complimentary stuff, WiFi is working very well, well sized flat screen TV, tea or coffee maker, lots of towels in different sizes, a working shower.
The breakfast buffet offers everything, from continental, english to chinese breakfast. Choice is huge. Quality is great.
The staff really go out of their way to offer you a pleasant stay. The only complaint (Wifi didn't work one evening, but in the end I think the whole internet was having a problem) I had over the whole week was treated immediately. And I mean, didn't even have time to dress ;-)
They offered advice and made me feel at home from the start.
Unfortunately I only found out about the nice bar and the really good food they offer at the end of my stay. Highly recommended: drink a beer at the bar, talk to the very nice barmaid who has plenty of knowledge about China and do eat at the Hotel, that dinner was one of the best I had during my stay in Beijing.
All in all: just do it!

Room Tip: I had the Honeymoon Suite and it was really cool room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Wraysbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stayed for 7 nights here and had a brilliant time. The staff were so helpful and there was a real personal touch, the rooms were clean and had a PC which meant you could easily search for things to do and email home as well. The food for breakfast and dinner was really tasty and reasonable. Yan at the happy bar was so accommodating and even took us on a day trip as a personal tour guide which was brilliant. They have plenty of info about local days out and are happy to arrange for a taxi. They are happy to translate for you to use for taxis etc. or book a table somewhere. The rooms were made up so well and they would even tidy our stuff for us. Would definitely stay there again if we come back soon. Thank you for an unforgettable trip!!!

Room Tip: Choose the wedding room. It's got a bigger room and bed.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sophiedavies839
Poland
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stayed in Double Happiness Courtyard Hotel for 9 nights in July 2014. Our decision was based on fantastic reviews of this hotel that we have seen in Tripadvisor. We wanted to stay in real, classic Chinese hotel, not modern and fully "global" hotel that may be found anywhere. The hotel is located in the very center of Beijing, in old hutong that was preserved "as it was" years before Beijing modernization before Olympic Games. Location is perfect, as despite very high temperatures (36+ C) it was possible to walk to the Forbidden City or shopping district with famous Donghuamen Night Market and Wangfujing (less than 30 min. walk). The hotel is beautiful and charming, and the staff is also beautiful, charming and very helpful. Girls in the reception speak very good English and will help you to pick right places to see or good restaurants nearby. The hotel is very reasonably priced. Entering the hotel is also very special, as two Mynah Birds great you with "Ni Hao" (Hallo) and later inform you that they can speak (in Chinese of course). The hotel is very clean (no single insect spotted despite very high temperatures), no smell that is typical for hutong. AC is very efficient and beds are very comfortable. Just perfect place to enjoy Beijing. Although the hutong may look scaring for someone with USA Chinatown experiences, the place is perfectly safe and friendly. You may walk through the hutong in the middle of the night without any danger or unpleasant "meetings". If we come back to Beijing, we will know where to stay :)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank J23xx
Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 18, 2014

My husband and I chose to stay here during our honeymoon and we are so thrilled that we did. The decor is absolutely beautiful and reminiscent of ancient China! Absolutely gorgeous! The hotel is also incredibly peaceful which means that you can hang out in the courtyards and relax after a long day of sightseeing.

It is located in a hutong (alleyway), but no need to fear! We felt very safe walking down the hutong at all hours and I even walked down by myself once. Everyone minds their own business so it's not a big deal. The hotel is nearby a subway station which is the BEST way to move about Beijing in my opinion. It also near a pharmacy and a Wu-Mart (think Wal-mart). I thought it was very convenient!

The staff there speaks english pretty well and they are very caring and helpful. My husband got sick while we were there and Jaclyn told me exactly where the pharmacy was and wrote down my husband's symptoms to make it easy to communicate when I got there. Later that night when she saw my husband, she actually asked him if he was feeling better and if his fever was gone. They made us feel like we weren't on our own while we were in Beijing. We had someone to count on.

If we ever get the privilege to return to Beijing we will definitely be staying at the Double Happiness!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sabrina F
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I stay here in January. Very helpful staff. The breakfast was a good start of the day. An ATM ate one of my cards and they wrote out a letter in Chinese to the bank to explain what happened. It was within walking distance of the hotel and they offered for a member of the hotel staff to go with me later in the day but it was not needed.
I took three days of tours from the hotel. I had to walk to the end of the block for the bus but staying at a local tradition hotel allowed me to see China at a more local level. I would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank AZTrainer
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I loved my stay at this hotel. It;s in the winding backstreets of Beijing's hutongs so you really feel like you're seeing a slice of the real China as you walk to and from the hotel.

The rooms are clean and quirky. The hotel has a beautiful courtyard and roof terrace. There is a friendly bar and everything is reasonably priced for a hotel. The breakfast is huge and gorgeous. The staff are very friendly and very helpful.

The Facilities are three star in terms of the rooms and facilities, but the welcome and the uniqueness of the hotel is a five star experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Sarah G
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2014

I can't write enough superlatives about this hotel. Whilst it takes some finding, and the road to it is very unpresuming, once you get there it is so so worth the find. First of all what might be perceived as downsides, the hotel location is not well known by airport taxi drivers, and our taxi took a lot of phone calls before he found exactly where it was, and when he got there he didn't locate it exactly so dropped us some 100 metres away from where we should have been. Then as we were driving down the very narrow local street to the hotel full of local food places and local houses, my wife was severely starting to doubt my judgement, I'm so pleased to say that as soon as you get inside the hotel all doubts are dispelled. This is not 5 star, and is not western, it is a traditional chinese hotel decorated in traditional style, but it is absolutely awesome inside. Rooms are not huge but fascinating, and our room opened onto a lovely courtyard with tables and water feature where we just loved to step out and sit and take in the peace which was a real Oasis in the middle of Beijing. The hotel had everything we needed, including a bar which served food, and we ate in 2 nights. Chinese food was good, the European food was average. Everyone of the staff in this hotel speak excellent English and the level of customer service is outstanding, nothing is too much trouble and they go out of their way to make you feel welcome. The guests are split between chinese and western and both nationalities appeared quite comfortable. The breakfast buffet was excellent. The breakfast room as perhaps on the small side and at peak times getting a table was challenging. The hotel once you discover it is well placed and walkable to a metro station ( 15 minutes). Getting taxis is a little more challenging but no more than we found in the whole of. Beijing which is why we tended to rely in the metro. We absolutely loved is hotel and can't recommend highly enough. I very rarely rate anything xcellent On trip advisor, but this is a real exception , and would say to anyone this is a just stay if you are in Beijing. We paid around 900 per night (B&B) Yuan for one of the best rooms in the hotel. Delightful

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple