“The staff are amazing”

Double Happiness Beijing Courtyard Hotel
Ranked #14 of 6,596 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a week and came back for one last day and I love it here. "Moose" and "Vicky <3" are my favorite here. They have been so great to me and I couldn't ask for better friends. I truly believe I've made true friends heres for the rest of my life. It's a great place and I high recommend it. Rooms and great and breakfast is even better!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Andrew M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,831)

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed at the Double Happiness from January 7 to 12th of 2013. I had arranged for transportation to the hotel beforehand with the hotel and the driver was waiting sign in hand, even though our flight had been a bit delayed.

The location was very convenient and our welcome was so friendly. The staff speak English so that was great. Our room was wonderful, very modern and we controlled the heat and were never cold. There was tea and coffee on a little table and after a day of sightseeing in the cold, that was nice to have. We had arranged for a local guide through www.thebeijinger.com and lucky for us, Sunny lived close by. If you want the best guide in the city, contact Sunny.

Breakfast was amazing, we 'fueled' up for the day each morning. Thank you to Jimmy, always smiling and so helpful.

The bed was awesome! Loved that you could close the curtains and get cozy. The duvet was light and warm.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone planning a trip to Beijing.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed February 17, 2013

So, I must first state that the staff at this hotel are second to none. They are very helpful and personable, especially Moose. He might be young, but he knows the area and he is very knowledgeable!

I booked this hotel because it seemed to be well located within Beijing.. just a block away from the subway and a half hour walk from Tiananmen, etc. I understood that it was located in an old courtyard mansion, which was part of the drawing point. I also knew that is was within a hutong, another attractive factor. I didn't know, however, that this particular hutong is dirty and crowded. This made the hotel slightly difficult to find, but I eventually found it.

The room was small and COLD. My room wasn't even the smallest one in the hotel, but it was SMALL! The bathroom was also small, but big enough not to be overcramped. The floor was COLD and the air conditioners controls are in Chinese, which made adjusting it very difficult! Even at max temperature, which is 30c, the floor was still COLD! Getting up in the middle of the night to use the restroom was NOT comfortable! Taking a shower and stepping into the part of the shower that the hot water didn't touch was even worse!

That being said, the bed was surprisingly the most comfortable I slept in during my stay in China. It was claimed to be an old antique bed, which I had difficulty telling was the truth or not. The room comes equipped with an older computer (which is fine for reading the news or checking e-mail) but I used my laptop. They don't have ANY modern office furniture in the rooms. For the sake of looking antique, they used very uncomfortable furniture, which made using my laptop for more than 15 minutes a chore. It's also very loud when you move it - the chair scrapes LOUDLY when you go to move it - not good if you have a sleeping spouse or child with you.

The breakfast, included with the room, was good. They include both Western and Chinese choices as well as some prepackaged cakes - it wasn't the Hilton but the basics are there - it's a good warm meal!

Overall, the staff are what made this visit for me. That and the comfortable bed. Will I be returning to this hotel? Probably not. I'll check the prices at some of the more upscale modern hotesl.. but do I regret staying at the Double Happiness? No, not at all!

Room Tip: Get the biggest room you can.. they are all VERY small!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Jack W
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed here on Monday 2/11/13. I got a very good rate on Hotels.com and was excited to see the property per the very high TripAdvisor reviews as well as the high rate on the previous two nights (double what I paid on Monday).

I was not blown away by the property... I did like the traditional approach they took at this boutique hotel, but the quality was not very high... I can only compare this property to the Orchid, which I stayed at in Oct 2011 and it was one of my favorite hotels I've ever stayed in... If you get a good rate, under $100 USD, I recommend the Double Happiness, otherwise look elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Balkesc
Reviewed February 10, 2013

What a lovely hotel. Staff very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was delicious and plenty to choose from. The small bar was cosy and again very friendly staff. Our room was large and very comfortable,spotless ,fresh towels each day and sheets. Great advice for visiting sites and would highly recommend the hotel

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 7, 2013

The staff was amazing. There's always someone (or many) people available to help you with whatever you want or need. We chose the wedding suite so we can have a good amount of space. The room was decorated in a very Chinese style. The hotel is located down a narrow street, but even at night, we felt safe. There's a police office on the same alley. The closest subway (Dongsi) was about a 12-15 minute walk from the hotel. Be aware, in Beijing, if it looks close together on the map, chances are, it's still far away. If you're limited on time, take the metro or taxis. Taxis are the same price for the first 3 km and really cheap. We missed out on a lot of stuff because we tried to walk it (being New Yorkers) and taking a lot longer than expected. The breakfast was a mix of Asian and western food. It wasn't huge, but certainly a lot of options.
Also they were clean rooms and a renovated bathroom. The heat isn't strong but keeps room warm.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank groovyb
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Just like to confirm all the positive remarks from previous reviewers, absolutley authentic experience, amazing staff. Wonderful rooms, minibar extremely cheap, couldn't get over how low the bill was when leaving. They organise all your tour needs etc... breakfast was fantastic, we found the hotel easily using public transport from airport, get the airport express to dongzhimen, chnage to line 2 one stop to yonghegong lama temple - then change to line 5 for 3 stps to donsi, take north exit out of metro station, turn right at the road and walk for 1 - 3 mins take donsi sitiao alley and walk down 3 - 4 mins and hotel is on left just past the police station.
I would only recommend the metro if you don't have too much baggage as the can get pretty full.
Hotel is walking distance to Wangfujing shopping street and outdoor food market, emperor's palace and more. Enjoy.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple